Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bird Aeris / Am9 coil shock thoughts?
  • toblerone1

Hi all

I was chatting with another Bird owner recently at Aston Hill who had fitted a coil (RockShox super deluxe) to his Am9 and really rated it.

My Aeris is a 145 and I’m thinking of shock upgrades. To change to a coil would I benefit from going to 160mm Rear travel via a new linkage and then a coil? Currently 160 Upfront with a Lyrik.

I’d like to hear how other Bird owners have got on. I really like the way the A145 is now with the Air shock, I’m just really curious to try a coil and linkage, but worried about extra pedal bob and potentially not needing 160mm of travel for most of my riding.

cheers T

breninbeener

Does the linkage use the same length shock?
    Ben from Bird is a frequent contributor on here, so he may be able to help with what works.

jamesoz

The linkage does use the same length shock. Got both for my Aeris, don’t have a coil shock though.

I haven’t put huge miles on the 160 linkage due to poor weather followed by lockdown but it felt great at Surrey hills the other week.

chiefgrooveguru

With all things gear, bikes or otherwise, I’m strongly of the opinion that if you like what you currently have and struggle to specify how it could be better (other than in vague marketing terms) then you shouldn’t change anything!

jamesoz

Agree with that.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a 145 with a super deluxe coil ultimate…. It does Bob a little bit but not that noticeable but when on rough climbs it helps with traction…. But on the flip side once you’ve reached the top of the climb it’s smiles for miles! It’s like a mini DH bike… It **** rips. I was blown away how it holds lines. I was 50/50 when ordering air or coil,I’m glad I opted for the coil as Im a winch and plummet rider. I’ve just come from a 160 travel bike and I don’t miss the extra 15mm…Im running 160 upfront.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Also starting to look around for a coil for my AM9. I’m on the original (non RRR) link.
    In my case I have no trouble to use full travel with the RS Deluxe RT3 like some people reported, but would like to make the rear end a little more forgiving.

Looking at the Marzocchi Bomber CR, either stock or with a J-Tech tune

toblerone1

I too have be looking at the same Marzocchi option Ze, with a PUSH tune. It seems like a good way of getting a coil to try out without it costing too much.

schmung
    Free Member

I think the 160mm linkage is more progressive and therefore more coil suitable.
    I started out with a 145, stuck the linkage and a cane creek double barrel on it and have never looked back. Suits me a lot better than the air ever did and as I bought it from Tf and they set it up for me I’ve never even bothered twiddling the dials on it. There’s a bit of bob and I use the climb lever for fire roads, but well worth it for the improvement on the downs.

I didn’t really notice any difference in climbing from 145 to 160 either. Tyre and wheel weight is more significant in that regard and as my bike is a porker anyway the additional weight and slackness for coil and 160 linkage didn’t really bother me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris / Am9 coil shock thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.