Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bird Aeris 1.5 help!
  • Alpha1653

Afternoon all!

I’m new to the Bird ownership fraternity and have just picked up a lovely second hand Aeris 1.5 which I am currently building up. However…

I’ve got a Chris Kind rear hub with a 142 x 12 axle but I have noticed that when doing up the maxle the rear triangle flexes inwards slightly (almost like the axle is too short); the clearance between the disc and the calliper mounts is less than a millimetre; and the maxle protrudes about a millimetre from the drive side drop out when tight.

Is that normal? Or is there some kind of spacer on the inside of the disc side drop out that I am missing? I can’t see how the disc might flex enough during riding to contact the frame but the tolerances seem abnormally small.

Any help advice would be gratefully received!

gnusmas

Isn’t the Aeris a 148 wide boost frame? This would answer the issue you seem to be having.

sv

Mk1.5 is 142.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alpha1653

Gnusmas, I did have to check that myself just to be sure before posting on here!

gnusmas

Haven’t got one, just thought they all were. Sorry 😳

Alpha1653

No worries!

colin9

I have a Mk1.5, and there is no flex when I do up the Maxle, the wheel just slots in and out. The clearance between the disc and the calliper looks normal as I recall, and I don’t think the Maxle protrudes at the thread end when tight.

I’m not near the bike so can’t offer you any measurements, but it sounds like you may be missing some sort of hub spacer.

I have the standard DT Swiss E1900 wheelset.

joebristol

Alex, have you tried calling Ben or Dan at Bird?

Alpha1653

STOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!! Colin, you’re comment about a hub spacer jogged my memory about CK hubs having a spacer which clips on the end of the axle on the non drive side. God knows when it fell off or how long I’ve been using the hub without it in my old frame but I’ve now replaced with a spare and it all looks much better! So blindingly obvious 😳

Can someone now delete this thread so that I don’t look like a complete incompetent fool?!

colin9

You’re welcome 8)

tomaso
    Free Member

Everyone loves a happy ending

joebristol

Too late!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris 1.5 help!’ is closed to new replies.