Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Bird Aeris 145 First Ride Review
  • onedpete
    Free Member

Got a large orange 145 being built up, 2018 Pikes, GX drivechain, E1700 30mm wheel set with DHR2s, Guide RS brakes, teeny weeny 32mm RF turbine R stem and bars, should be a riot!! I was torn between this or an Edit V2 or the obligatory Capra or Strive, but I’m sure I’ve made the right choice. I’ve been massively impressed by the Bird boys attitude and service, nothing seems to be too much trouble and they’re what decided it for me really. I’d sooner buy from a company with such a customer based ethos than a faceless Canyon or YT. Keep up the good work guys!! Can’t wait to hit the home trails n see how she goes….

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Do you mind me asking how tall you are Pete? I’m just under 5’11” (32″ inside leg) and have ordered the Large. I’m coming from a Large 2013 Mondraker Foxy XR with the Forward geometry (super long top tube, no stem) which I’m very comfortable on so figured that would be the way to go as the geometry figures seem close. Now, for no particular reason, I am beginning to question my own research and spent last night fretting as to whether an ML might be more suitable for me! I will call Bird HQ in the morning for reassurance/guidance. P.S. I’ve specced mine exactly as yours Pete, but in green.

joemmo
    Free Member

Yes, best to call Bird and see what they advise. Fyi I’m same height, slightly longer in the leg and have the 120 in ML and I think the 145 about 10cm longer in the same size so you may be right to double check.

vinnyeh

I’m 5’11ish, and got an M/L a week back. I didn’t have a test ride on the 145 before buying, just a quick spin up and down the drive at Bird, but though the L felt novelly stretched, I went with the shorter frame/35mm stem/800 bars. Big advantage to me was that I could (just) fit a 170mm dropper, but I may try a slightly longer stem in the future.

Took it out to the Alps a few days after picking it up, and the bike’s been a hoot so far, hugely different to the Mojo HD it’s replaced, and a lot more confidence inspiring to me as a very average rider. Only real downside is the low bb and a pedal strike issue, it’s made riding properly narrow or rutted singletrack a bit unnerving, especially where there’s been a bit of exposure to punish mistakes.

onedpete
    Free Member

Hey exupmonkey, I’m 6ft and was wondering about the ml, but Ben and the Bird boys were adamant I’d want the large. I was considering it for the option of running a 170 Reverb, but went for the large with a 150 on their recommendation. Reckon coming off a Mondraker, the geo will feel pretty familiar. I’m stoked, should be here in a few days time, can’t wait!! I’m just figuring out what frame downtube protection to go for, any recommendations? Rockguardz are doing one now, albeit a bit pricey.

joebristol

Onedpete – I’m on an ml 145 – not as high specced as yours – but I’m not convinced on the dhr2 as a front tyre.

Got an aggressor on the back which seems good, but the dhr2 seems to let go very suddenly when it runs out of grip. Been running it between 20 and 25 psi and in the wet it’s prone to just let go. That’s with really getting weight forward too.

The bike is awesome though – andnive only got Yaris / GX 11 speed / Guide R’s.

The Bird guys are so helpful too. Rang them last week to ask about tokens in the fork / shock and they were really happy to talk through what’s in there as standard and the options etc.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Pete…. I’m still at the ‘what size’ stage so haven’t got to the frame protection bit yet. I will watch this post with interest for your update

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fwiw Bird are teasing what looks suspiciously like a 29er…

Last time they teased a new bike it was SRAM GX so I’m not getting my hopes up.

onedpete
    Free Member

Just ordered a rockguardz for the new Bird. 35 bucks isnt cheap, but better than a dented frame! Loadsa loose rocks up on Exmoor where I do a lot of my riding, better safe than sorry…joe, I’m surprised your having issues with the Dhr2, I’ve been running one up front on my Devinci for the last year and find it awesome. I just swap it to the rear and pop a shorty up front when it gets really soft but find it bites good in everything else. I’ve got the 2.4 wt one on the front on the new build with a 2.3 up back, so should be even bitier!! How you finding the 11spd GX stuff? Been on 10 speed Shimano the last few years, Saint shifter n Zee mech which is basically flawless. I think I’m gonna miss the double up shift most, I do often use it.

joebristol

Love the GX 11 speed. Previously had 10 speed GX mech and shifter with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette and 32t oval superstar chainring.

The 11 speed shifts a bit slicker, so far hasn’t needed any adjusting and retains the chain better in mud. Love it.

When I went from 2×10 to 1×10 I didn’t miss the double at all – not even on the first ride.

The Aeris is awesome – sounds stupid but the bike is so quiet even on big rocky sections – really confidence inspiring.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

That Rockguardz looks quite good on the bike Pete, especially the green one

alextemper
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Fwiw Bird are teasing what looks suspiciously like a 29er…
    Last time they teased a new bike it was SRAM GX so I’m not getting my hopes up.

To be fair to Bird they didn’t tease a bike, just put up an announcement that something was coming. Considering rumours were about of SRAM releasing a budget Eagle group set at around the same time, it was pretty obvious what they were teasing. It was only people hyping up the whole thing, post after post, that started talk of new models being released. The very same people that then starting giving them a hard time over the announcement being a let down when they didn’t even publish any details in the first place. Very fickle.

cbr9
    Free Member

I’m considering an Aeris 145, do you guys think the upgrade to Pike/Super Delux is worth the extra cash over Revelations/Delux rt3? Debating whether to go NX with the ‘best’ suspension or a better groupset. Cheers.

joebristol

I went from Revelations (2015 with 150mm travel) to 160mm Yaris and despite having the same damping it’s a huge improvement.

Guess going from Revelations to Pikes (with 2018 forks) doesn’t change the stiffness of the chassis but does get you a move from motion control to the charger damper. Should be a noticeable difference.

Not sure on the rear shock – I’ve got the deluxe rt3 and so far it’s been excellent.

Gear wise as long as you have 11 gears that work and have thre range you need then I think I’d rather spend more of the money on suspension or wheels.

Not tried NX but the 11 speed GX I’ve got is perfect so far. With the 10-42 cassette I’ve got all the range I need with a 30t chainring up front. Wouldn’t want to go up to 32t with the cassette I have as the 30t gives a good spinny gear for the really steep stuff. The 10 on the cassette makes up for the 2 teeth lost at the top end with the smaller chainring. Think NX is only 11-42.

cookeaa

To be fair to Bird they didn’t tease a bike, just put up an announcement that something was coming.

And if they wheel that bike out from behind the tree just to announce its got some new brakes there will probably be several minutes of Internet Booing… Then we can all go back to being very taken with their VFM and generally awesome geometry and just wishing they’d make a zero/aries 29er…

Better not be a bloody e-bike mind!

onedpete
    Free Member

Hey cbr9, I was torn between a Yari or the pike. I went for the pike in the end for the charger damper and the weight saving really. I’ve been running a Pike on my old bike, so have got used to the feel of a charger. I’ve gone for the non piggyback deluxe, but upgraded to the rc3 version. I think unless you are regularly hitting the alps or something, you’ll be fine with the deluxe. It’s a fair jump in price to the super deluxe too, I chose to invest the cash saved in upgrading the wheels instead. Just got word that my bike is arriving tomorrow!! Stoked!! I’ll post up some pics when I get the chance….

onedpete
    Free Member

RT3 rear shock, sorry!

cbr9
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys! Just read an article from Ben about the super deluxe. I think pike/Delux rt3 will be the way I go. Now to save the pennies!
    Onedpete- What colour and sizing did you go for? And did you demo one before hand?

joemmo
    Free Member

My Aeris 120 came with the deluxe RT3 and in hindsight I probably would have saved a few quid and specced the RT. The Rt3 has a full lock out that is really only useful on long road drags, otherwise the open or pedal modes – as on the RT – cover everything. Obviously the 145 has a bit more travel so could benefit from a lockout more perhaps but I’m not sure.

Anyway, just something to mull over

onedpete
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m getting the large in orange, and nope, I’m buying blind! Bit scary, but I’m confident it’ll be to my liking. Guess I’ll know for sure later on….Oh, meant to say, I saved 50 quid by buying my reverb from CRC in the summer clearance and 10% off code, lucked in too, not oe, fully boxed with bleed kit etc for £189. So yeah, got to fit that later…..

joebristol

I demo’d before buying mine and it was so much fun at a Swinley (despite being way more bike than required there).

You’ll love it – just the first 10 mins is spent realising you need to get your weight really far forward to get the front wheel to stick into a corner. Unless you’ve had a slack / long bike before (which I hadn’t) in which case it’ll be business as usual.

I generally leave my rt3 in full open mode – if I move it to any other setting I tend to forget to move it back until I find a trail really choppy which reminds me to open it again.

I thought apart from the compression settings there was something else different between the rt3 and the more basic shock, but I forget what.

Decided the super deluxe was too much more money over the deone I went for, and wanted the guide brakes more than a better shock.

joemmo
    Free Member

I generally leave my rt3 in full open mode – if I move it to any other setting I tend to forget to move it back until I find a trail really choppy which reminds me to open it again.

this. I need a sticker on the stem – “have you unlocked your shock?”

I thought apart from the compression settings there was something else different between the rt3 and the more basic shock, but I forget what.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/deluxe-rt3#specs
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/deluxe-rt#specs

not much to see on the SRAM website.. basically £50 difference for the lockout.

joebristol

Perhaps not £50 well spent for me then as I never use the lockout and rarely use the pedal platform setting either.

Thought when I spoke with Ben there was something else but perhaps not.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I asked the same question, can’t find their answer in my emails, but from memory the RT3 has bearings at both ends of the shock so it is smoother, the RT doesn’t.

tomaso
    Free Member

The Rt3 shock has bearing mounts top and bottom for somoother initial stroke – apparently. The cheaper shock doesn’t.

joebristol

That must be what the extra feature was that I decided made it worth having. Quite an expensive bearing for me – but without riding the shocks back to back it’s hard to tell the difference.

tomaso
    Free Member

It has got open, pedal and lock out.

Rode my new Aeris 145 last night for the first time. Nice wet slippery ride out of Hawkshead taking in some great riding.

It climbs well with the steep seat angle, got a PB up the Silurian way from the visitors centre to the Fox. No PBs on the classic downhills but the puddles going down the Fox were huge, the type that stall your speed and create a bow wave over your head!

Suspension needs a little more tweaking, more air or compression on the shock and not sure about the Lyriks camping. No real complaints, just want to get a feel for it.

Need to get out and get high up at the weekend and smash some bigger trails, possibly Nan Bield Ill Bell and Garburn

benpinnick

The budget difference in the shocks splits down roughly £20 for bearing mounts, £30 for internals. There are some tweaks over the lockout between them, but you need to push it to notice. The bearing mounts are quite an expensive luxury but they do last longer, so eventually that would pay itself back, so it’s more like £30 for the lockout and internals.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris 145 First Ride Review’ is closed to new replies.