Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bird Aeris 120 v’s Brompton B75.. strange decision I know.
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Evening all,

Been looking at a Bird Aeris 120 frame the last week or so, I’ll be swapping parts over from my current bike (Orange Clockwork 137s) which means I can get a frame, shock and a couple of shiny bits for a good price.

Anybody got one? What’s your opinions? How does it ride?

My other option is to keep the bike I have, get some nice new wheels and buy a Brompton B75 for putting in my lorry for when I’m away with work… what would the STW crowd do?

I’ll make use of the Brompton for sure when I’m away with work, but I really fancy a Bird Aeris 120.. just getting the motivation to get back into cycling and in reality I’m happy pootling round the local trails just taking in the scenery. But it would be nice to do it in some comfort on the Bird, alternatively having a Brompton to pull out the lorry in the evening and go for a wee cycle is very appealing, especially as I’m often parked in some nice areas.. Callander, Fort William, Mallaig etc.

Any opinions would be greatly received.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well this is certainly the “which bike?” thread of the year so far.

I’m assuming you’re a HGV driver – is there only room for a folding bike on board then?

How often would you get to do MTBing?

1981miked
    Free Member

Yes I was thinking it was a contender for a “which bike” thread.

Yes I’m an HGV driver,  I could get something rigged up to store a full sized bike on the back but I wouldn’t be happy securing a decent bike on the exterior of the lorry, it would get a hard life in the winter with the salt and rain etc. Folding bike would fit perfectly in the passenger footwell.

MTB wise.. with the colder weather coming in I’ll put the motorbike off the road maybe this time next month and would look to get out most weekends, not really in to trail centres etc, I’m happy just dondering around the local trails in Dundee and the surrounding area, would just be nice to have a squishy bit at the rear to make it comfier.

Brompton wise, I’m away every second week, normally for 2-3 nights so I’d like to think I’ll get out at least twice in that week and maybe during breaks. I sometimes park in and around towns so be nice to explore etc.

davosaurusrex

By the sounds of it you’ll get more value from the Brompton and regret going for the Bird every time you’re away somewhere nice and not able to go out for a spin

jeffl

I’d suggest taking up running! I forced myself to start it a about a year ago. Great when working away from home and can get a better workout in a shorter period of time than riding.

Don’t tell anyone but I actually quite like running now.

That way you can get the Bird, nice looking bike.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

Regards the running, I used to do a fair bit but my knees are fairly shot. A run is just not worth the pain and discomfort the next day.

I did consider a bike bar that way I could take a full sized bike with me but even the smallest bike bag would take up too much room. Looked at a storage tho hook in the lorry aswell but i reckon the bike would get in the way in the cab.

Andy

Sounds like you have good reason to get both. So why not get both? I would get the Bird, and a cheaper second hand folder like a Dahon/Decathlon. See how much you use over the winter and then get a posher folder next year. Nights are drawing in, soon be Autumn. How much are you going to use it between now and next spring? Another folding option, that rides really well is an airnimal – see there is one in the classifieds.

Also isnt the B75 a bit compromised? Older spec components, no mudguards (essential on a Brompton IMO). If was looking for a Brompton would consider a nearly new better spec model. I also notice Halfords now stock Brompton so along with Evans BC discount applies.

1981miked
    Free Member

The B75 is compromised spec wise but I have added mudguards and it can be had for £810, which is a good bit cheaper than a “standard” Brompton. I looked at cheaper folding bikes but none have the convenient and compact fold of the Brompton. I like how everything that can get you dirty is tucked away when it’s folded up.

I hear what your saying in regards to use over winter etc though, that’s a valid point, if I got the Bird just now I could easily pick up a Brompton by spring to for the better weather.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris 120 v’s Brompton B75.. strange decision I know.’ is closed to new replies.