Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • BioLite stove
  • surfer
    Free Member

Havent we done this yet? Looks great in a must have gadget sort of way but I am sure less practical than my MSR.

BioLite stove

Thoughts

AngusWells

i’m surprised there were no comments on this.

It appeals to me too in a ‘don’t know how or when I’d use it’ sort of way. I like the idea of setting fire to things and being green at the same time though.

On a serious note, if one can generate sufficient electricity from this small camping stove to charge a phone, GPS, etc could the same not be achieved using similar technology attached to a domestic solid fuel stove or room heater? Just curious.

luffy105
    Free Member

I’ve got one and only had a couple of test fires with it in the garden and it seems pretty good. Probably better as a fan assisted stove rather than a charger but it did put some juice into my ipod.

The only initial problem I had with it is it does go through fuel when the fan is on high. I am going to experiment with differing types of sticks etc to see what works best. It’s certainly well made and pretty sturdy though. Quite a nice bit of kit. Packs down well and has a handy little bag to carry it in.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Couldn’t a natural draught work just as well as is done with the home-made hobo stoves?

luffy105
    Free Member

quite possibly… I bought it because a) I like what the company stand for in terms of what they are trying to do with their large stoves in poorer countries and b) I thought it handy to put some juice into phone etc whilst camping overnight.

I have yet to try it out on an overnight camp though so can’t really comment on how good it is/isn’t.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Certainly not for biking.

Looks to be around 5 times the size of my bivvying solution and that includes cookware:

http://www.optimusstoves.com/en/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-crux-lite-solo-kochsystem/

So, bulky, heavy, expensive, needs a fuel source (Finding dry sticks in the middle of a Scottish winter? In fact just finding any sticks could be an issue:-)

And charging phones etc is of no interest so that trump card is of no use to me personally.

willard

Carrying on with the “good things” part of their ethos…

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/05/sandy-charging-phones-with-wo.html

Yes it’s promotional for them, but given that a lot of people were without power…

AngusWells

Agreed its too big for a bivi stove but I suspect it’s aimed more at those using a base camp. In fact, it is probably more of a technology demonstrator for their home stoves that seem to have an application in the developing world – that may be where the real market is.

I like the idea.

luffy105
    Free Member

@theblackmount: agreed. I use mine for trips out in my canoe. Wouldn’t bother taking it for a lightweight/bike trip. Have a snowpeak gigapower stove for that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘BioLite stove’ is closed to new replies.