Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bingley Bash – better ending??
  • tomj
    Free Member

Rather than drive to the Dales, Lakes or Peak District I’m trying out my local West Yorkshire trails, and brought the a guidebook.

I’m really enjoying the Bingley Bash and have added a few bits to it on the middle, round Haworth and Black Moor. But the ending is a little disappointing. A fun track to March Cote Farm then you end up in a housing estate in Cottingley – loosing a lot of height in tarmac. And I always get lost!!

Any alternatives to this? Even a farm dirt track would be better. Or some acceptable cheekiness? Any suggestions? It’s a popular route so I guess people must have tried to improve on it.

Thanks

martinhutch

I either find some fun bits in Cottingley Woods (look on Strava Segment Explore) or climb back up into St Ives and do some mini-descents from there.

tmb467
    Free Member

Do it the other way round – then come down Altar Lane or the old track where you come off Haworth and into Cottingley / St Ives

Simon

Instead of going up Wilsden steps turn left at the bottom and through the woods to Sandy Banks. Then head into Cottingley Woods by either entering at the bottom and climbing up to the folly or climb up Lee Lane and go in through field by the farm where they store caravans. There’s loads of fun stuff in Cottingley but not all easy to find!
    When you come out of the woods at the Cottingley end go down Beckfield Road and then scare yourself on the rocky footpath that brings you out at the top of Ghyllwood Drive.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yep, the ending of the guide book route is pretty disappointing. I did the same as you 6 or 7 years ago now. Slowly adapting the Bingley route out of the guide book.

I’ve ventured into Cottingley a few times but generally I turn left onto Lee Lane (instead of right towards Marchcote Ln). Ride down the sweeping turns of the quarry then climb back up into St. Ives (left turn after cricket pitch opposite the garden centre), then climb back onto Harden Moor (Moor Edge High Side) before climbing up just past the car park and re-entering St Ives again. Then descending down the trails that run adjacent to Harden Road. Crossing over the road that runs through the estate then a traverse and climb to the picnic area and then a final descent and traverse before being spat out on the road just above the bottom car park.

whitestone
    Free Member

After Wilsden Steps (still to clean these) go along the wet lane and the first bit of road but don’t go right to get to March Cote Farm, turn left and drop down through the woods to Harden. A bit of road to the nurseries and take the BW opposite this to climb to St Ives. Down through the woods to get back to Altar Lane.

While we are here – what’s Blind Lane like as a descent from St Ives? Always ridden past it.

martinhutch

Blind Lane (if you mean from next to the golf course) is a fast descent with some loose stuff . Doesn’t last long, and the chance of hooning into some horses/walkers means you can’t go flat out. I usually park at the little car park just below it and climb it to start the loop as well.

Trying (and normally failing) to clear Wilsden Steps is the bit I look forward to on the ride, which makes me a bit weird, I think.

whitestone
    Free Member

That’s the one Martin.

Edit: personally I prefer the riding on the moors to the west of Ogden over as far as High Brown Knoll above Pecket Well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Simon^ used to have a decent descent thru Betty’s wood in st Ives which popped out on alter lane, but they felled all the pines in there a few years ago so not sure if it’s still rideable
    So your approach that out of the bottom of cottingley woods, past the malt shovel, to harden cricket club, up the track at the side into st Ives, bottom path to Betty’s wood.
    If Simon’s track doesn’t exist anymore there’s a path descent of steps running parallel to alter lane pop out about halfway down. Or maybe down thru mouse woods into Myrtle park.

Simon

@B.A.Nana that little decsent is long gone, I’m surprised some younger riders haven’t built some turns up there yet!

@martinhutch
    once you’ve cleaned the Wilsden steps they’re easy!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Tomj
    You need to completely explore harden moor, rather than just riding past on the Bingley bash bridleway.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought it probably had Simon. Also, can you still get out of cottingley woods near the top of ghyllwood drive, where the fence was broken or has it been repaired / blocked off??

Simon

Fence was repaired years ago Paul 😃

tomj
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Looks like some better ideas and more exploring needed! I’ve already started turning off the bridle way over Harden Moor and started to explore.
    I wouldn’t mind the Cottingley bit if it was at the start of middle – but I like a ride to end on a high. I usual start at Saltaire because it’s easier to park, get to for me, and ride in along the towpath

Simon

If you’re finishing at Saltaire climb up to Shipley Glen and finish with a descent from there and then ride back through Roberts Park.
    Once you’re up to the Glen, Baildon Moor is also worth exploring, there’s lots of fun (short) descents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bingley Bash – better ending??’ is closed to new replies.