Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • BIN RAGE, The ones you put waste in.
  • Premier Icon project
    Free Member

In the last year ive notice people are becoming attached to their Wheelie bin or recycling boxes.

1,Teenage lad drops his coke can and crisp bag can into a residents bin on the side of the road,as there was no black council bin nearby,resident then comes out screaming abuse and throws can and crisp bag onto road. WHY.

2 Residents house 2 weeks ago,bin men,leave recycling box because there is a small plastic cake tray from a Mr Kipling cakes box in box,so left the whole full box of recycling. WHY

3, bin men working in narrow road,2 vehicles,one recycling and one general waste, couldnt get past in van so just waited, woman in house we waited outside, for binnies to move, ran out grabbed her wheelie bin and recycling box, then ran back out to write down our reg number.WHY

4, another customer,i put some sawdust direct into his general waste bin, ordered to take it out, and take it away, even though it was his waste. WHY.

5, local postal sorting office, large sign saying all contractors must take all packaging back with them when working at depot, and not use depots bulk bins.

6,94 year old customer put a cigarette packet on top of his recycling box, binnies refused to take it as there was a small piece of foil in the fag box showing.

7,lots of neighbours have huge numbers on sides of bin, yet no number on the front of their houses,so binnies dont know which house bin came from.

8, chap on busy narrow road puts his bin on the roadway, instead of on his drive, cars usually divert round it last moment, binnies always plant it back centre of his drive.

9.Why dont residents put numbers on top of bin thats the bit the binnies see.

10.a person on a local road had a hasp and staple on his 2 wheelie bins he keeps in the front garden behind a wall with a padlock on them and same block of flats, person keeps their wheelie bins up ended,eg upside down top stop anyone using them when hes not in.

Any more tales of bin rage/humour/sadness/stupidity/possessiveness.

Its just a plastic bin, provided free of charge by your local waste disposal company on behalf of the council,you dont actually own it.

Premier Icon davros

I’m pretty sure channel 5 would make a documentary about this if you approach them.

Premier Icon dissonance

1,Teenage lad

Depends if its an area which is keen on recycling. In which case if they do a random check the householder might not get their bin collected since the can is recyclable.

2 Residents house

See above. It will be because it makes it nonrecyclable (for that specific area) and will then have the entire load dumped into landfill if found at recycling. Hence they go for rejecting it to show they are serious.

4, another customer

Because they have targets. See 1.

5, local postal sorting office

I suspect they have had some people take the piss dumping others peoples rubbish and so lost their sense of humour and gone for a simple ban rather than waste time.

7,lots of neighbours have huge numbers on sides of bin, yet no number on the front of their houses,so binnies dont know which house bin came from. (and 9)

I dont think people are expecting it to be delivered back to them but just to make it easier for them to grab theirs. Round here its fairly useful since larger households are given bigger bins so not having to waste time comparing them so you dont nick one by mistake is convenient.

Premier Icon LAT

someone put a dog poo bag in my bin once. for some reason it annoyed me. then i asked myself why it annoyed me. i grew as a person on that day.

points 2and 4 may seem petty, but someone has to separate the non recyclable items fro the recycling and it probably isn’t something that the recycling company have budgeted for.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

And relax. 😉

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Some people do get really weird about bins. Never understood it. They’re bins ffs!

Once saw a fight break out over bin placement. One guy in a load of flats wanted them all lined up in a certain place. Everyone else wanted them wherever but nearer the building for ease of access. It was like the guy was ashamed of them or something…

Then you’ve got the people who insist on having their own particular bin back (they’re all the same), or the ones who have their bins washed (?)

Amazing

Premier Icon beamers

Every now and again Mrs B gets a bee in her bonnet about putting things in the wheelie bin which will make it smell.

It’s a wheelie bin. For rubbish. Which lives outside.

Plus 99% of the smelly stuff goes in the composting bin.

Premier Icon LAT

Then you’ve got the people who insist on having their own particular bin back (they’re all the same), or the ones who have their bins washed (?)

if i washed my bin, i wouldn’t want some smelly sod’s dirty bin.

while bins are just bins, if you didn’t get the same one back or mark it as your own some oddball may take back more than one or take one back on a week he didn’t put one out and over time end up with all the bins. it is worth remembering that neighbours can be a weird lot.

Premier Icon thebibbles

No issue with collections or neighbours round here but the council/collection company rules are a pain. If you have an issue with the bin and need it replaced, leave it outside your house for up to 2 weeks and it will be replaced at some point. It must be empty at all times so god knows what you’re supposed to use for those 2 weeks.

Premier Icon martinhutch

How do I know when the binnies have been around on recycling day?

…and relax…

Premier Icon LAT

If you have an issue with the bin and need it replaced, leave it outside your house for up to 2 weeks and it will be replaced at some point. It must be empty at all times so god knows what you’re supposed to use for those 2 weeks.

a neighbour’s bin, obviously. or if you are proactive, swap the damaged one with one of your neighbours.

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

someone put a dog poo bag in my bin once. for some reason it annoyed me.

I’d be happy if the local dog owners did this rather than bagging the poo then leaving the bag on the pavement.

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

Residents house 2 weeks ago,bin men,leave recycling box because there is a small plastic cake tray from a Mr Kipling cakes box in box,so left the whole full box of recycling. WHY

Because we are sick to death of you idle worthless bastards thinking we’ll sort it out for you. Recycling that’s contaminated just gets rejected and sent straight to the incinerator costing the council twice as much to be disposed of and putting up your council tax

another customer,i put some sawdust direct into his general waste bin, ordered to take it out, and take it away, even though it was his waste. WHY.

And where does all that dust go when it’s tipped, right in the eyes and lungs of the person you don’t give a shit about who has to tip it. Try ash from a bbq in your eyes if you want a particularly unpleasant experience

Why dont residents put numbers on top of bin thats the bit the binnies see

Because that like the above is bleeding obvious and the bleeding obvious seems to be a very hard thing for a lot of people to grasp.

If you want to know the true nature of a person empty their bins! And as for the people who lock theirs I can tell you that the number of bins containing dog shit exceeds the number of households owning dogs by a factor of 10. And if you’ve emptied some peoples bins you’ll know why other people don’t want them, its a maggot shower every day in summer when you tip them and the smell of some of them needs a damn good shower to get rid of!

Oh and my plea to everyone is if you want to stop plastic getting into everything then use more plastic. When everything in your bin is loose and it gets tipped stuff can blow everywhere, in a bag in the bin and it all stays in the dustcart.

Premier Icon Phil_H

5, local postal sorting office, large sign saying all contractors must take all packaging back with them when working at depot, and not use depots bulk bins.

Because the sorting office will be charged by volume/weight/uplift for waste disposal. They will have calculated their capacity and anybody adding additional waste will bugger things up.

I have to deal with this at work and the thing that winds me up is other people filling our general waste bin with their crap leaving us with no space to dispose of our non-recyclable waste.
    This is what I came into work one morning

Premier Icon Cougar

The answer to most of your questions is “bellends.”

The door numbers one is odd though. Put it back where you found it surely. If you suddenly develop amnesia and can’t work out where #7 is, it’s likely between #5 and #9. My bins are out back anyway, there’s no numbers. Sometimes I have to walk about three metres to retrieve my bin post-collection.

The absence of front door numbers does seem to be a weird phenomenon on newer builds though. The number I’ve times I’ve been looking for someone’s house and driven past half a dozen doors before I finalls see one with a number on it. Why wouldn’t you?

Premier Icon twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yeah, where is binners, opinion on everything apart from the stuff that should really concern him.

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Bin there done that.

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot
    Free Member

Mrs 100th is currently seething about our bin. Neighbour is 65ish and we take her bin out and back every week. No thanks no acknowledgment we do it. We’ve seen her walk past the empty bin several times a day. Even saw her walk down to the empty bin put something in and walk back up the drive. Leaving us to bring it back up.
    Anyway we were away for bin day this week ours is still full hers empty.
    As I say Mrs 100th not a happy bunny.

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

We used to get our bin washed for a couple of quid by a bloke that followed the bin lorry round. Got all the left over gunk out and it didn’t smell.

Premier Icon jaminb

I found a dead fox by our gate the other day – man that was a smelly wheelie bin after 2 weeks. Glad I didn’t put it in the compost!

Premier Icon hols2
    Free Member

Premier Icon stevious

Our new neighbour left out too much recycling for their bin (perhaps not realising what a faff this is for the bin men). Other neighbour saw this and got me to help break it up and fit it into the rest of the bins on our cul de sac.

Nice.

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

Too much for the recycling bin is the norm. I can’t tell you how many piles of wet cardboard I pick up every day and piles of cans and plastic bottles. There usually would be room in the bin if people actually just bothered to squash things down but many just can’t be bothered. Why do something yourself which is your responsibility when someone else will come along and do what isn’t their job for you. We can leave anything not in the bin by rights but we don’t because we actually care more about the state of the city than many of the people living in it.
    Of course most people aren’t like that but you really see how few it takes to turn a place into a shithole when you do the bins or recycling

Premier Icon antigee

went to bring in recycling bin last week and found that after it had been emptied someone had filled it with their cardboard….i’ve moved on but the ingenuity of the arrogant never ceases to amaze

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Don’t start me on people who think it is ok to put their crap in the mini skip you ordered.
    I just take it out now and put it in the road leaving enough space for people to squeeze past it.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

My neighbours have turned into passive aggressive bin obsessives. We’ve always put our bins out where there’s go, for 20 years, when we leave them they don’t block anyone’s drive. The bin men often leave them partly blocking their drive, often their bins. Not blaming the bin men, they always leave them handle in and next to the house they came from. Anyway neighbours have complained to the council about being very slightly inconvenienced and asked us to put our bins elsewhere, which I’ve done at mild inconvience to us. Came out to get them to find our other neighbours bin in the middle of our shared drive this week. Put there by the neighbours complaining. Bins, third on the list of suburban flash points after parking and dog poo.

Premier Icon cb200
    Free Member

We made the mistake of leaving a chicken carcass in the bin during summer. The neighbours weren’t happy when they found maggots in their garden the day after I had washed it out. We now stick anything like that in the freezer till bin day. Not sure I’d do that with a dead fox though

I don’t understand the lady taking the reg of the van while it was waiting for the lorries to move

Premier Icon andybrad

Oooh like a good bitching….

Anyhow to the bloke who complained about sawdust getting in his eyes when emptying bins where should we put it? Alternatively I’d suggest better ppe from your employer.

I have a big issue with our council not recycling properly. In kirklees it mostly goes to landfill. It would make more sense if they helped us segregate it at source. Ie paper bin glass bin etc. But they don’t even collect glass. Its rubbish…..

While I agree its better for stuff like dog poo to go in a bin than the floor I think its unfair for others to have to deal with others waste. For example your kids throw some rubbish away and they have to squash it down on a bag of poo. Not all that nice.

As for people looking after their own bins. I agree. Some people don’t look after stuff so they get knackered and broken. Why should someone with a clean bin get given someone else’s?

Premier Icon cb

avdave2 – seems as though you’re the guy that deals with this every day…are you suggesting that we line the recycling bins with wheelie bin liners? Wouldn’t that cause more issues down the line?

The bin morons that really get on my tits are the ones that overfill, then leave the lids half open in strong winds – obvioulsy facing the direction of wind and normally the night before collection! Then they drive past the scenes of carnage on their way to work and ignore all their neighbours picking up their shit.

I’ve taken to picking it up and dumping it in their porch.

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

are you suggesting that we line the recycling bins with wheelie bin liners?

It’s not so much the recycling, there shouldn’t be loads of plastic wrapping and crisp packets etc in that its general refuse. Just use whatever bags are to hand so there isn’t stuff loose that will end up blowing down the road when it gets tipped. And if you’ve got a bag less hoover don’t just empty it into your bin  I really don’t want to breath in what’s mostly your dead skin cells thanks 😊

And funnily enough I put a dead fox in my bin recently, I did happen to actually empty my own bins that week though.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

I thought part of the point of wheelie bins was to keep bin operative away from the rubbish and for the rubbish to be deposited in the back of the wagon without it going everywhere. Is that not what the plastic curtains are for.

Edit. My general refuse bin is generally full of loose plastic film, our council recycle card, metal, glass, compostables and most rigid plastics. Our bin men seem to be able to empty the bin fortnightly with none ending up in the street, and we’d know as due to the shape of our street and prevalent winds and loose rubbish and leaves end up in front of my garage.

Premier Icon Aidy
    Free Member

Commercial places normally have to pay for waste disposal, I don’t think it’s too unreasonable for them to not want to pay extra for everybody elses.

Premier Icon pocpoc

The one that annoyed me is the moron who dropped his dog poo bag in the top of our garden/food waste bin when it was out on the street. The bin men (rightly so for them) refused to empty it and left a tag on saying it was contaminated. So then I had the joy of bags of food and garden waste sitting in it for another two weeks in the middle of summer. Was a right state by the time it was finally emptied.
    Other than that, I’m not that fussed. The big number on the front of it is so that I can pull the right bin back in from the collection of a few at the end of our shared drive.

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

I thought part of the point of wheelie bins was to keep bin operative away from the rubbish and for the rubbish to be deposited in the back of the wagon without it going everywhere. Is that not what the plastic curtains are for.

You have to be near it in case the damn thing comes down before everything has been swept up by the blade and you need to manually override it. Besides you might be putting two bins on or arriving with one as the other loader has one emptying. The curtains do stop a lot of stuff coming out but certainly won’t stop everything. It gets pretty windy in Brighton, especially if your up high so stuff will always escape if it’s not bagged. Plaster and cement are other favourites for people to chuck in as well, you honestly won’t believe what people will put in them.

Premier Icon LAT

I’d be happy if the local dog owners did this rather than bagging the poo then leaving the bag on the pavement.

this is what helped me maintain perspective on the situation. to be honest i’d rather they left bagged poo that the unbagged alternative.

Premier Icon LAT

our bin lorry is a one man operation. a big arm comes out the side, picks up the bin and dumps the contents into the truck. if you take a 4 year old with you to watch the collection the operator does cool things like spin the bin around when putting it down, or flipping the lid shut.

but, we have to separate all our recycling and take it to the depot ourselves. though this is a treat for a 4 years old as he gets to see the trucks and machines and is allowed to push the cart

Premier Icon LAT

and another thing

the people whose job it is to deal with garbage aren’t fully appreciated by all the people they serve.

each week when i bring my bin back into the garden i feel gratitude that someone has emptied it.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

you honestly won’t believe what people will put in them

Worked on the bins in Hull before wheelie bins came, got up close and personal with people’s waste, not pleasant. Bags were really heavy, especially after a bank holiday when everyone had done their gardening. We even had to collect the bags from people’s houses, no roadside collection. Still the remember the woman who left her wedding dress out in a black bag to take it to the dry cleaners, never did find it.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

you honestly won’t believe what people will put in them

I would.

Maybe if councils made it less of a pain to get rid of stuff (extortionate kerbside uplift charges, out of town tips, banning of obviously non trade vans and trailers from said tips etc.) you wouldn’t find a settee distributed amongst half a streets worth of bins or a nice layby on the local back road.

We recycle as much as we can but I honestly find it difficult to believe it is really that difficult to segregate waste further down the line. If it was then nothing would get recycled ever going by my neighbour and the Facebook idiots who wear not recycling as a badge of honour.

But x2 on the morons that can’t understand the concept of flattening stuff to make room, we are on a 3 weekly collection between general, paper and other recycling and can easily manage 3x that at times. Others are continually whinging about having no room.

Premier Icon CountZero

My bins have my house number on them, because one of my bins, in fact the only one we had at the time, suddenly vanished, so we had to order another from the council which took some time; I reckon someone broke their bin, and just swiped ours when it was left outside overnight.

But x2 on the morons that can’t understand the concept of flattening stuff to make room

I could be wrong, but I’m certain that it’s recommended that plastic bottles aren’t squashed flat, and that lids are left screwed on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.