Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bill Turnbull. RIP
  • Harry_the_Spider

Gone at 66 to Prostate Cancer.

Lads, if you have a symptom get your bloods checked and your walnut flicked.

Avoiding a phone call and a few seconds with a finger up your butt isn’t worth dying for.

bonni

Well said.

RIP Bill and the 12,000 other men who die of prostate cancer every year in the UK.

dander

Seemed like a decent bloke. Too young.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamj1974

My mates dad died on Friday from this – can’t emphasise this enough.

duncancallum

Shame seemed like a good guy!

blokeuptheroad

Got diagnosed with PC on Tuesday so this really hits home.  I’m 58, no symptoms. Had a few tests after a urine infection a few years ago, one of which was PSA. It was a bit high so it’s been monitored ever since. I had a biopsy 3 years ago which was clear but then an MRI and another biopsy a fortnight ago after a spike in PSA Thankfully mine is low volume (>5% of biopsy sample) and low ‘grade’ (1 on a scale of 1 – 5 where 5 is the most agressive). So ATM my prognosis is good, it’s likely that I’ll go on active surveillance as I’m told there is currently a low risk of mine spreading.  Its early days though and still sinking in. I’ve got a chat with the urology consultant soon.

Bill Turnbull seemed to be a really good bloke.  RIP.  Get checked fellas.

Philby

Got checked about 5 years ago and the biopsy showed I had prostate cancer. Chose to take the active surveillance option which involves regular PSA blood tests. All remained static for a couple of years, then last year shot up. Was offered a prostatectomy or radiology, chose the former and had an appointment for an operation within a month and got it whipped out. Fortunately the cancer hadn’t metastasised so no need for other treatment.
    As others have said, get checked! It’s a silent killer with few if any physical symptoms.

avdave2

I probably should get another PSA test. Now what are the chances of me actually being able to get an appointment to see a gp?

Probably time this moved to a national screening programme

Harry_the_Spider

Give them a call

blokeuptheroad

@avdave2 if you’ve had one before you might not need to see the GP.  In my surgery I phone the receptionist make an appointment with one of the practice nurses to take a blood sample, I usually get an appointment within a few days (A GP appointment can take 1-2 weeks).  3 days later I can phone in for the results or see them on the NHS app.

The first time though I think you need to have a chat with the doc.  I think any man over 50 can have one with no quibbles.  I think it’s over 45 for black men who have a higher risk.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Sadly we’d need a much better test than the current PSA test for this to be a good idea.

lowey

I had to practically insist on getting a PSA test from our GP. She was totally against the idea due to false positives etc. I was 52. Thankfully came back normal.

blokeuptheroad

Sadly we’d need a much better test than the current PSA test for this to be a good idea.

I had to practically insist on getting a PSA test from our GP. She was totally against the idea due to false positives etc. I was 52. Thankfully came back normal.

As has been alluded to above, the PSA test is not without issues. It’s possible to have PC with a ‘normal’ result and have an ‘abnormal’ result and not have it.

Loads of things can elevate it including sex, cycling, urine infections, enlarged prostate etc.  It’s not perfect. Mine fluctuates quite a bit up and down.

But… it’s a good general indicator and a single PSA test is never going to be used in isolation for a diagnosis. If you get a high PSA, repeat PSA tests,  DRE (the finger), MRI and biopsy are all available to confirm (or hopefully not) any problems.

Sandwich

Back in the old days of biopsy next option I would agree. Nowadays the next option is an MRI so less mucking around for a false positive. If you’re offered a biopsy after a PSA test ask for the MRI and move hospital if your urology department is difficult.

mercuryrev

I have a yearly PSA test, after being diagnosed with chronic prostatitis 3 or 4 years ago. I had all the tests going at the time, including a camera where the sun rarely shines and none of it hurt, so guys there truly is no reason to not get it checked.

I now take saw palmetto tablets and my PSA has been dropping slightly year on year.

I seem to recall there is a good chance there will be a new test for prostate cancer soon.

Get checked out guys.

@blokeupthroad good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

MoreCashThanDash

Now what are the chances of me actually being able to get an appointment to see a gp?

For me earlier this year, spoke to receptionist, GP rang back that afternoon, blood test offered next day, saw GP a week later for the follow up and finger test. Luckily for me it was bladder issues not prostate.

My cousin lost her husband to prostate cancer in July. He was diagnosed 17 years ago and given 2 years to live. Stubborn, and lovely, guy. RIP Roger and Bill.

edward2000
    Free Member

The on screen chemistry between Bill and Sian Williams was really pleasant to watch and very charming.

RIP Bill

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts