Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Biking v trail running?
  • piemonster

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Edit: your local 😀

spando
    Free Member

Pie monster yeh 8 mile road section, i’m gonna do a shoe quick shoe change. Used to live in Melrose and know the area can be really muddy so want grip off road and change for the 8 mile road section. Thanks for the heads up though, appreciated 🙂

spando
    Free Member

Piemonster I now live in Tayport near Dundee

piemonster

Christ, it’s bloody flat right up until the Eildons. I did it in Salmonman XR Cossmax and they proved perfect.

Even then the Eildons are a doddle.

piemonster

*looks out window. Flashes light and waves

spando
    Free Member

Yeh xr cross max are a perfect shoe for that terrain, I’m gonna wait till nearer the time see what the weather is doing before i fully decide on shoe strategy.

spando
    Free Member

Ah piemonster where are you?

spando
    Free Member

Looks out window no flashing, am in Braemar camp site the now as my wife is running the half marathon on sunday. Gonna get a nice Run in the hills tomorrow, 😀

aracer
    Free Member

What you need is a rigid singlespeed mtb with horiz dropouts & nuts to make tyre changes too much of a faff to bother with. unicycle

FTFY – far too much complexity with a rigid singlespeed.

piemonster

Scotland’s sunniest city. At the risk of general bromance flaming by the STW mafia we should probably organise a run.

There’s a club run from Falkland Tuesday kicking off at 6.45. Usual stuff, general banter(insults), some brief sections of running followed by more banter. With Guinness for rehydration.

I’ll be a train wreck as I’m running the Minigaig Pass Monday. Well, jogging it. Slowly. That aside, I often use the Fife Coastal path for training runs round the 30mile mark mid winter.

spando
    Free Member

Nice one though can’t do the next few Tuesdays due to shift pattern. Just put my e mail on my profile.

piemonster

No worries, Tuesdays are well worth making if you can. There’s a wealth of experience to draw on fir the long runs. Multiple Bob Graham Rounds, Ramsay Rounds, at least 6 finishers of the West Highland Way(club record is 17hrs), and at least 1 UTMB finisher and Leadville 100.

I’ve not done any of these things, I drink too much beer. And I’m too lazy.

But I’ll email you the calendar, it’d be a great place for advice. Even if its laced with abuse.

piemonster

You also get less variation with running from home because your range is more limited than riding.

If you think that, your doing it wrong.

Jamie
    Free Member

You also get less variation with running from home because your range is more limited than riding.

I find the opposite.

bikebouy
    Free Member

OP I’m with you on it, although I’ve not lost the love of the bike.

Having taken up trail running last year, and not being a runner at all, I thought I’d give it a go inspired by my extreme trail running mate Jonny who undertakes the cross Sahara/Peru etc. etc and 100mile plus runs. Anyhoos I took it up having got thoroughly cheesed off with no access to the bike for a while and the appalling rain/conditions and I needed another challenge. So I started off jogging in the woods, developed a love straight away for this and added miles then different locations and such, ended up at the point where I am now and loving the freedom and lung killing expanse of our world off road. To this end MrsBouy too has come along on occasion and she’s developed a love for it too, we just love hacking forests, beaches, mountains and just getting away from it..

I use Salomon speed cross 3’s / 3/4 bib tights / various Helly Hanson tops and a belt with a water bottle on it.. That’s it.

Love it. 😀

spando
    Free Member

bikebouy thats fantastic to hear, sounds like you are loving it, happy days.

I find the opposite too, more varied, not limited to tracks or paths just point and go. Its liberating to be stood on top of a Munro in trainers, shorts and T shirt as bewildered hill walkers all kitted out look on bewildered 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another thing, I’ve been buying Trail Runner mag and inside it give some great trail run routes, we’re off to do the Beachy Head 10k along the cliffs next weekend… Looking forward to that 😀

stever
    Free Member

I’ve struggled to find a good running forum site, suppose my standards have been set high due to the great forum on here.

You’ve found the FRA forum? And there’s good useful people on UKC
    http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=24

…and another quick run on the trails today – lovely way to start the day 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

The only time I use the mtb these days is as a bit of recovery from the fell running.

Done some of the classic races this year including Borrowdale which was superb, you can just get to locations that you can’t on an mtb.

Love it

spando
    Free Member

Great stuff guys , gonna have to get down to the lakes. Some great races by the look of it and magic terrain of course.

Travis

BC (before Children) I did a lot of MTB, now I feel kind of guilty spending all day on the bike, so I’ve turned to running.
    More recently, I’m heading towards Ultras. I have my first 50miler at the end of November, and then a 100k in January. All with the plan of building up to a 100 miler this time next year.
    For me, it’s easier to pop on a pair of trainers, and go for run for an hour or so.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Biking v trail running?’ is closed to new replies.