Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Biking Norfolk
  • brad93
    Free Member

I know I know, Norfolk isn’t very good blah blah haha. But are there any other places to go other than Thetford or Brandon? Just seeing as I live here, may as well make the most of it 🙂 Also where are the closest trails to Norfolk, are there any within sort of 2-3 hours drive?

Blurboy
    Free Member

Woburn isn’t that far away, with Chicksands just down the road from Woburn. Both are easily within 2~3 hours drive.

strike
    Free Member

Where abouts are you in the fine county?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brad93
    Free Member

Woburn isn’t that far away, with Chicksands just down the road from Woburn. Both are easily within 2~3 hours drive.

Isn’t chicksands like for better riders? I haven’t been riding too long, want to like build up gradually haha. But if not then I will def be going 🙂

brad93
    Free Member

I live about 20-30 minutes away from Thetford. Towards Norwich way

verses

If you don’t mind heading down into Suffolk have a look on the TROG forum, I’m sure they’d be happy to show you around Tunstall.

TROG occasionally have group rides up at Dunwich Forest and the surprisingly non-flat north Norfolk coast too, so those’re worth a look although they rely a little on local knowledge.

Solo
    Free Member

I live about 20-30 minutes away from Thetford. Towards Norwich way

So that’ll be around Attleborough / Wymondham area then.
    🙄

brad93
    Free Member

Thanks verses and yeah solo I live in Great Ellingham which is like 3 miles away from Attleborough

Solo
    Free Member

Unfortunately, you’ll mostly be looking at driving to ride.

Some interesting topology West of Cromer, depends what your bag is.

The one thing about Thetford is its fast, or can be.
    And there are a million cheeky, but good trails on the Brandon side.

brad93
    Free Member

Are you from the local area? And yeah I have been biking there for a while but I don’t know many of the routes which aren’t marked. And I have been with a mate before and he knows loads of routes on Brandon and Thetford that aren’t actually part of a trail. But sadly I don’t know where they are

scud
    Free Member

I’m moving to Norfolk myself in 4 weeks time, from Surrey where i’ve been spoilt with quality riding. I’ve ridden the red and black at Thetford which are a bit of fun for an afternoon when dry, but are the cheeky trails on the other side of the road easy to find? or are they a case of needing local knowledge?

Solo
    Free Member

Are you from the local area

Sort of.

I was Norfolk for… 38 years.

Just moved to Cov.
    🙁

GIve Jerry a call at JT cycles, se if he still rides TF.
    Think its Tuesday nights.

Otherwise, tie up with the local build and ride scene there.
    Can’t remember their title.
    Might be ‘TIMBER’

brad93
    Free Member

Erm well there are some signs up on Brandon but I think it does help if you have a bit of knowledge. There are quite a lot of trails both sides which aren’t marked and unless you actually know quite a bit about the area then some are harder to find haha. Well I have only been riding there like a few months though

Solo
    Free Member

Oh, or just park in the Brandon Country Park, CP, and head off to see what you can find.

brad93
    Free Member

Yeah I have been parking there and then there is a little bit I know there which then comes back out at the top of the beast. That’s alright, just wondered if there are any other places though. And yeah timber, I have joined but not many people really talk on their facebook page :s is Tunstall quite good? I heard there was a place near Sheringham somewhere but I don’t know where exactly :s

brad93
    Free Member

Yeah I have been parking there and then there is a little bit I know there which then comes back out at the top of the beast. That’s alright, just wondered if there are any other places though. And yeah timber, I have joined but not many people really talk on their facebook page :s is Tunstall quite good? I heard there was a place near Sheringham somewhere but I don’t know where exactly :s

letmetalktomark

I have ridden (only once) Lowestoft way with a couple who post on here. Riding was very similar to Brandon/Thetford but interesting none the less.

brad93
    Free Member

Oh right, do you know roughly where abouts it was? Just looking for some people to ride with to be honest as well. I’m pretty new really and just think I could learn a few things from other people

Solo
    Free Member

For coastal stuff.

Get your OS maps out.
    I made up a nice little 10 mile loop out of Cromer for me and the Ex.

For TF cheeky stuff.
    I’ve had folk from TImber on here telling me they know but won’t post on forums and the like for fear of the FC or Elveden Estate finding out.
    Of course it use to be accepted, but asses use to ignore the shooting signs and ride anyway, and I use to find litter, deep in the forest, way away from the tourist trails.
    So some gits have cocked it up for the rest of us.

So I guess you’ll just have to infiltrate

verses

Tunstall’s not way-marked so you either need a guide or to just explore and see what you can find. It’s fairly similar to Thetford/Brandon.

brad93
    Free Member

Oh I see 🙁 that is such a shame that people can’t just take their litter with them. If people keep leaving litter about then eventually the FC will just say no and close it. Would be a real shame, would then have to convince my girlfriend to move to the Peaks :p but that would take me years to persuade her haha. But yeah I will get the map out and have a look, also my tutor I think knows a few places so I will ask him when he is back to college

brad93
    Free Member

Verses, is it easy to find your way round there? Like to just find the singletrack?

Solo
    Free Member

Verses, is it easy to find your way round there? Like to just find the singletrack?

Ride the fire roads of TF.
    When you spot ST leading off into the trees.
    Try it, see what you find.
    Take food and water, maybe some friends.
    Make a morning of it.

Klunk
    Free Member

You should put Wakerley Great Wood/Fineshade Abbey on your list of possibles. The trails there are quite fun. The Fineshade side is very odd thoght sought of a teaser trail, a family fire road route with short teaser reds (which are very fun especially one bermed section)

Solo
    Free Member

Oh, and at this time of year, beware the ticks.

verses

To get the best of it you really need a guide – post on the TROG forum, there’s usually a willing person about, the Sunday mornings regular rides are probably the best time.

Or do like Solo suggests and just turn up and see what you can find. The forest is surrounded by roads so if you get lost just follow a fire-road to a road and pick either clockwise or anti-clockwise, you’ll get back to the car park eventually 🙂

scud
    Free Member

Hi Brad93,

As above i’ll be moving to Norfolk next month, i’ve recently joined TIMBER as well and belong to a few other clubs and go on about 9-10 away rides a year to the Alps, Wales, Peaks etc, so if you keep in touch i’ll let you know when i’m off in the van for an away fixture.

brad93
    Free Member

Yeah I think I may just do that solo, thanks for the replies 🙂
    And Klunk, is there like any campsites or anything that you know of near there? Then I could go for like the weekend or something. Not too far away either, well like 2 hours drive but still not too far compared to others

brad93
    Free Member

Thanks scud, I’ll give you my email. Then you can email me or something, also have to get to thetford and brandon when you move here. Where abouts will you be moving too?

Klunk
    Free Member

And Klunk, is there like any campsites or anything that you know of near there?

sorry don’t know as it only a 20 min drive for me or an additional 20 miles on top of my 50 miler.

brad93
    Free Member

Oh also solo, I don’t mind about ticks haha. Doesn’t bother me too much :p If I get one then I get one hah, will get that bad boy out

Solo
    Free Member

Oh also solo, I don’t mind about ticks haha. Doesn’t bother me too much :p If I get one then I get one hah, will get that bad boy out

Just saying like.

I have a friend who is a hunter and has recieved Lymes disease warnings for Norfolk now.

I use Tom-O-Tick twisters, should I be unfortunate to get one.
    But at this time of year I’ll save myself the hassle of checking for them after every ride, just by wearing longs under my shorts.

ime, by June / July, the ticks are gone as they’ve all found a ride for the summer, by then.

brad93
    Free Member

Yeah we got told about it at college, I do outdoor adventure. It’s a pretty shit thing to get but I do check after rides, yeah that’s an idea 🙂 although they can still sometimes manage to get through things apparently haha

colournoise

Klunk – Member
    You should put Wakerley Great Wood/Fineshade Abbey on your list of possibles. The trails there are quite fun. The Fineshade side is very odd thoght sought of a teaser trail, a family fire road route with short teaser reds (which are very fun especially one bermed section)

Agreed. This is my ‘local’ centre too (15 minute drive).

Having said that, the Wakerley/Scartree side is PRETTY similar to Thetford in style (sandy, rooty wooded singletrack) and only has a little bit (at the minute) of off-piste stuff (but this is developing all the time now). If you’re passing this way with a bike in tow it’s worth a look in, but not sure I’d drive an hour and a half past Thetford to ride it.

slainte 😳 rob

bol

There’s good riding out between Cromer and Sheringham on the coast, but also a lot of fun to be had in Backton woods at North Walsham. I’d suggest chatting to the guys in Streetlife in Norwich, who can hook you up with some good local riding too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

One assumes Thetford has already been mentioned… 😉

I used to ride at Tunstall Forest near Ipswich when living in Colchester. Like a hillier, rawer version of Thetford.

barty81
    Free Member

hi mate! give us a pm if you fancy a riding partner. i usually ride at brandon/thetford during the week because im on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern.ive found most of the off piste singletrack by exploring..with still, lots to find.so if you would like someone to show you around let us know dude

tommid
    Free Member

I’m another Norfolk local…

Ride Thetford a fair bit, but also getting out and linking up a whole lot of the local trails and droves.
    We’re also sorting some local bivvying.

Email me if you fancy riding with me and the Fenland Fat Lads Velo Club

brad93
    Free Member

Cheers guys, and yeah I heard there was some in bacton woods but couldn’t find much on it. Yeah I will have to go in there sometime soon and see what they say.

barty81 & tommid, yeah that would be cool. I will pm you both now, thanks 🙂

cotic853
    Free Member

There is a surprising amount of singletrack in Bacton Woods considering its size but much of it is hard to spot though. Get in touch if you are in the area.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Biking Norfolk’ is closed to new replies.