Biking in Tenerife- and Tenerife as a destination/holiday?

Home Forum Bike Forum Biking in Tenerife- and Tenerife as a destination/holiday?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Biking in Tenerife- and Tenerife as a destination/holiday?
  • uplink

only seen 1 company doing mtbs in Tenerife
    http://www.lavatrax.net/

hora

Talking about two birds, one stone. Ride in the am, spend the rest of the day with the missus, drunk in the evening. Any suggestions/good places to stay (any companies?)

hora

will have a look, ta

ciron

Only cheeky trail in Tenerife. Off road riding is illegal, although a couple of companies do take people out and about.

The landscape is amazing. I took my road bike last year and did some great mountain riding. Blue skies and 30 degrees at sea level with 20km + climbs up into the cloud.

Some of the back roads are very quiet with huge climbs (35km to the top of the volcano) and cracking descents. However, coast roads and some of the other linking ones are very, very busy.

hora

๐Ÿ˜ฏ sounds like roadie heaven ๐Ÿ˜€

Any other of the Canaries better then?

ciron

Not sure. If you can bring yourself to ride on the darkside then it really is worth it.

The east end of the island is the best if you want to avoid the chavs on holiday. Also worth staying on the south side of the main ridge, its usually in sun whilst the north is often cloudy.

hora

Ciron, I’d honestly love to (if you could hire a decent) roadbike there?

ciron

No idea about hiring. I took mine.

Thinking about it now I seem to recall an article a couple of months ago about off-road riding there. It was probably in MBR.

clarkpm4242

I’ll be going to La Palma in October. Yes, it is a Canary Island!

It is the ‘most mountainous island in the world’ apparently! This will be my 4th visit and each time I’ve used http://www.bikenfun.de

Excellent family run business catering from easy through singletrail to full-on downhill madness.

Direct flights by Thomson from Manchester and Gatwick.

Paul

Premier Icon snowslave
    Subscriber

Considered Lanazarote?

hora

clarkpm4242, I love you. Have I ever told you that? I havent met you yet but still ๐Ÿ˜€

snowslave, look! Ive encountered crazy Germans in Ibiza. I like….I also like the rolling images..

clarkpm4242

clarkpm4242, I love you. Have I ever told you that? I havent met you yet but still

snowslave, look! Ive encountered crazy Germans in Ibiza. I like….I also like the rolling images..

Whoa there! We’ve not been formally introduced!!

Thomson do package deals to normal resort hotels, if you get serious about this make sure you stay on the **WEST** side of the island (not near the airport)!! We do flights only and book villas/appts privately over t’internet.

Bikenfun run a full ‘winter’ programme and also do rides *all* year.

They are brilliant to ride with ๐Ÿ™‚
    Paul

hora

I would like to pick your brains later on this. The only prob I see is there are no sandy beaches (for my girlfriend)? Its mainly volcanic ash?

Mikkel

maybe consider Gran Canaria instead, some realy nice mountainbiking there.

chico

apartment I have an one bedroomed apartment in Torviscas. posh part of tenerife! check it out here. We rent it out at about ยฃ225 a week for a couple. Lava trax do a mtb package as well in tenerife. ill be checking it out myself next month.

ti_pin_man

~I spent a week there 2 years ago and basically bought a walking guide and found trails that way. The thing was that the climbs were like riding up marbles with the lava exactly the same size and they tended to roll so i tended to walk, after that i rode up the roads and descended the paths, illegal or not i never got any abuse. I was in Los Gigantes and was told there are a few trails in the national parcs but never made it up to explore.

Premier Icon redx
    Subscriber

Hora,

I’ve been out with Daz from Lavatrax.net a couple of times. We have friends who live near El Medano and have been out a couple of years in a row, and I’ve ridden with him both years.

Daz is a pretty good rider, and depending how busy he is, he’ll try and tailor rides around what you want to do. If he’s busy, he’ll probably give you a range of options……

I did a ride this year with him that went from Villaflour (highest town in Europe?) down to Los Christianos. It was pretty technical in places, and you finish by spinning along the front by the beach weaving between the tourists……

He’s had people like Adrian Carter from Pace out riding with him.

However, the hire bikes tend to be Marins which, being a hardtail rider, I quite liked, but may not be up to your standard……

Alex

Premier Icon redx
    Subscriber

And if you do hire yourself a bike, be careful about riding in the national parks, as it’s illegal and the fines are pretty steep…..

I went two years ago and it was good. Spent a lot of time touring and getting drunk. I have a mate who lives out there, he took me up the top of Teide in his van and I rolled (very fast) all the way back down. Didn’t really do much off road but there were plenty of big bikes playing around about half way up the volcano.

rustydub

I had a week road biking in Tenerife in Jan this year, terrific roads, did the Mount Teide climb and a few others recomended on http://www.tenerife-training.net/Cycling-Canary-Islands/Tenerife-Road-Routes-Rides-Tours/Cycling-Tenerife-Masca-Teno.php This is a company that operates guided road rides and I belive may hire bikes, useful website if you have a map for getting routes. Some very scenic cycling and some very challenging climbs to be had, also have to get used to cars tooting, not for you to get out of their way but giving you encouragement.
    This photo was taken on the “die another day climb” and yes I had to stop halfway up it!

andywhit

There is a shop where you can hire decent road bikes, my mate did just that last yr. Can find out details if you’re really interested.

I went a few years ago and did mostly road stuff, lots of quiet roads with some awesome descents ๐Ÿ™‚ But the climb to Teide is rather long ๐Ÿ˜

Premier Icon Potdog
    Subscriber

Blimey….can't believe I missed a post so blatantly titled Biking in Tenerife.

Thanks for the kind words Alex, much appreciated and hope to see you again for some new finds next time you are over on the island.

The correct some of the info given early in the thread, not all trails are illegal here, only the ones in the Teide National Park and we're working with the Cabildo to try and change that so that everyone is free to enjoy them.

Other than that, pretty much everything is fair game, some of the marked hiking trails can be a little bit cheeky, although I have had forest rangers egging me on and others who have turned me back. Mostly seems to depend where the hiking trail is and whether it's a weekend or not. Weekends tend to be busy with hikers, so more chance of being stopped from using the cheeky trails.

Anyway, you can't go far wrong with Tenerife in my book, great weather and routes that take you from 2200m down to sea level, or for those who like to climb, routes that stick in 1200+ metres of altitude gain.

All good fun ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Tenerife- and Tenerife as a destination/holiday?’ is closed to new replies.