Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • biking in lanzarote – road or MTB?
  • Garry_Lager

Got a conference coming up in Lanzarote and hoping to steal off for some riding. Normally I’d look to ride the trails without thinking about it, but I’ve seen a few comments on the MTBing out there being a bit ordinary if you don’t know the routes. Any experiences?
    There’s some trails described online, but a road bike might be a nice way to see the island.

chrispo
    Free Member

I was there in November and the MTBing was not scary technical stuff but fun even so.

However ordinary the MTBing might be, it’s still going to beat riding on the road!

Garry_Lager

bump – anyone else been riding Lanzarote way?

cp

road bike is an awesome way to see the island. Depending on how fit you are, you could do a loop of the whole thing in a day. The roads are lush smooth aswell. Don’t think they do pot holes at all over there!

There is some mtb. Might be worth emailing a few of the local cycle hire places and see if they can suggest any mtb routes are have pics so you know what to expect. where you staying?

davesmate
    Free Member

Take the mtb and you can ride it on the road, doesn’t quite work the other way round!

njee20
    Free Member

I went there for a week’s training with some triathletes a few years back. Was great fun, but after 6 days we’d ridden virtually every road on the island, except the really busy ones around Arecife. The roads are amazing, but it’s incredibly windy, can be pretty soul destroying on your tod. Some of the more mountainy roads in the north, around Tabayesco are lovely.

It’s very barren, so I’m not sure what mountain biking would be like. There’s a guy from Yorkshire (IIRC) who was a good MTBer running a cycle hire place in La Santa village, forget it’s name, he’d probably be a good place to start.

random1.andy
    Free Member

I went to lanzarote last november and went MTBing. I contacted Gav at Evolution bikes. they dont have a web page so look them up under “Evolution bikes lanzarote”. he isn’t a guide as such but will take you along with him on a ride with his mates and can hire you a bike. it was off the beaten track locals knowledge stuff through farmers (single) tracks and lava fields. was a unique experience and well worth an afternoon. be warned though i know hes training for an iron man in May!

jota180
    Free Member

I was there for 8 weeks in Dec and Jan

I didn’t try the MTBing but hired a road bike for a day a week
    the road riding was great though but as njee said, it’s windy all the time
    Absolutely superb though with the wind and sun on your back when out for a Boxing day ride 🙂

Garry_Lager

Thanks all – good info. I’d be hiring something out there so will check what’s available. Staying at a place called Puerta Calero.

jota180
    Free Member

Puerta Calero is a nice little place, you may have to walk into Puerto Del Carmen for a choice of hire shops though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘biking in lanzarote – road or MTB?’ is closed to new replies.