Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Biking bulls@@t let's stamp it out
  • supercarp

I think we need a biking bulls@@t alert function. It appears that this has slowly crept in in recent years. At first it just appeared to be journalist speak to pack out reviews as the same old thing got rehashed every year. However it seems to have seemed to have infiltrated normal everyday riders thoughts that it makes them faster/better, or am I just being miserable?

Examples of biking bulls@@t

Pedals – the old flats/spd (depending on the latest fashion) make me quicker more skilled in the rocks/ups/downs which every fits = bulls@@t no they don’t unless you are a pro who rides every day but it helps explain why you have more pairs of shoes than the wife when asked gotta have every eventuality covered

Bar width – I just went from 720 to 740mm and I have so much more control = bullish@@t – no they don’t they are no different but they look good

Super duper short stem – I have reduced my stem by 10mm and I can now defy gravity on the downs = bulls@@t – no you can’t you are no quicker but you can at least tell yourself your bike looks cool

Wheel size – I am so much quicker on my 650 than my is 26 = bulls@@t – you only think you are quicker to justify blowing £3000 you didn’t have on a new bike you didn’t need

Latest super groupset – I am so much quicker as the cranks are stiffer and it is so quiet = bullish@@t – can you really tell the arms are stiffer maybe if you are a pro otherwise no just tell yourself this so you don’t think about the £1000 you wasted

These are just a small number of the examples of biking bulls@@t out there. We need to stamp it out because I keep falling into the trap of believing it and spending a small fortune on stuff that makes no difference and wastes time which I could be using to enjoy just riding!

bencooper
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is you’re gullible?

philfive
    Free Member

Doesn’t the laws of physics prove at least two of them are true?

devash
    Free Member

The best bet is to stop reading the magazines / forums and go ride.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Op Op Op ya gotta stop riding on the roads man.

tomhoward

or am I just being miserable?

Nail. Head.

bigrich

people who are anti barends, yet have never even tried them.

njee20
    Free Member

Feels like the school holidays at the moment, lots of really shit posts.

rOcKeTdOg

We I need to stamp it out because I keep falling into the trap of believing it

FIFU

frogstomp

Bulls@@t! You may have a point…

Bulls@@t avoidance tip;

Ride your bike.
    If you get overtaken by another bike, buy one exactly like it, because it’s obviously faster.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ that is flawless logic.

bikeneil
    Free Member

OP- So I guess you’re still riding a 22″ framed, canti braked rigid 26er ?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Member Supercarp
    Orange aren’t over priced handmade frames not something you get with YT

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Stop trying to be Karl Pilkington’s Bulls@@t Man.

davewalsh
    Free Member

650b. Putting me off buying MTB magazines for 12 months now as I’m sick of reading about it.

benji
    Free Member

I changed the stem on my cross bike for one 10mm shorter, and now it fits me better, and don’t get twinges in my back when really going for it. So it is quicker as I’m more comfortable.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bargain price
    Great value
    Suitable for upgrade

All pretty much sum up most of the BS in my mind

MSP

650b. Putting me off buying MTB magazines for 12 months now as I’m sick of reading about it.

Was even worse when all the magazines were full of nothing but 26″ wheeled bikes, it was just impossible to escape the 26″ wheel marketing bandwagon.

khani
    Free Member

Cor, I bet a 650 with wide bars and short stem with xx1 and flat spd”s will take you to the moon..
    [rushes off to buy MBUK]

maxtorque

I don’t think that any of the OPs “Bulls**t” effects are actually Bull? In fact, they are pretty much true. The Bull bit, is the amount of difference to the average rider that those changes will make, which is in all cases pretty much immeasurably small!

Unfortunately, for modern bike review/rating magazines, currently MTBs are all so good, and use so many of the same parts, that the differences between a “good” and a “bad” bike come down to minor technicalities and more importantly, trends and personal preference etc!

For example, no one is going to win the UCI Downhill world cup on a set of 140mm Fox 32 forks, and by the same token, I am not going to fit a set of 200mm tripple crown Boxers to my hardtail to ride to the shops, although in both cases you could do so. According to the mags, however, a set of Fox 32’s on the front of ones bike is the equivalent of fitting some stringy runner beans as forks, and will immediately lead to almost certain death!
    So the “Bull” is not, for example, that the 32s are “not as stiff” as the Boxers (which of, course they aren’t) it’s that one should not be able to realise that “absolute stiffness” is not actually important, but relative stiffness is. Ie once your forks are stiff enough, that’s fine, more stiffness is no advantage.

But what this^^^^ dull and boring objective piece does show, is that the literal “truth” makes for very poor reading…….

mashiehood
    Free Member

I’m popping out for a spin. Back later to tell you all how many records I broke since switching to a 29er.
    Laters

Northwind

supercarp – Member

Bar width – I just went from 720 to 740mm and I have so much more control = bullish@@t – no they don’t they are no different but they look good

Ironically, it’s quite hard to see such a small difference in bar width, but you almost certainly will feel the difference. Bullshit bullshitted.

sync
    Free Member

My colleague swears his 29 is giving him 10-15min quicker times on his usual route over his old 26er. This has nothing to do with the fact his new bike is 6 lbs lighter, 7 years newer and 6x the price of his old bike.

Differences in bar widths and stems however are incrementally noticeable and you definitely can get performance gains. Imo though, this is often through the new set up offering a better fit or riding position for the style of riding being undertaken.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PG6sITiNEs[/video]

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Oi, OP, you belong to the advertisers.

Prove them wrong. Buy used.

takisawa2

Perhaps you should chronicle all this Op, you could call it Gullible’s Travels

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Biking bulls@@t let's stamp it out’ is closed to new replies.