Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • BikeYoke Revive Dropper post – Any reliability reports?
  • Premier Icon james
    Free Member

As above, on paper I like the look of the 185mm drop BikeYoke Revive post, well aside from price ..

Is it too early for reports on reliability?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

I kicked two Thomson dropper in to touch so that I could switch to bikeyoke. So far, so good. We’re really pleased with them. What appeals most is that they’re fully rebuildable at home.

Sacki is really helpful as well.

Premier Icon timidwheeler

I’ve had mine five months.  I’m really pleased with it.  I do need to do the Allen key turn quite regularly but that only takes a few seconds and I’ve got the correct size key on my multi tool.  Otherwise it’s been flawless and had a fair amount of use including 2.5 weeks in the Alps being hammered everyday.

Premier Icon batman11

As tim said faultless got a 185 & 160on my bikes and they’ve been great. Same though about once a month I do the rivive circuit but then my bikes hand vertically so that might have something to do with it but don’t know for sure.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Mixed report from me. Had it for about a year and a few months, so it’s been ridden in all conditions.

The main issue for me was one of the circlips inside deforming and coming loose, which spat the internal bits out on a couple of occasions. Sacki sent me a new one and no problems so far.

Another minor issue was it losing oil through the schraeder valve, causing it to sag, but that was a relatively easy fix – take out valve core, add oil bit by bit.

I have one of the early ones, and it does need ‘reviving’ more often than I’d like, probably every ride, and it now has a bit of lateral play, not much. Probably just needs its two-yearly service a bit early.

It’s not entirely user-serviceable – you can do the equivalent of a lowers service and change seals/bushings/rods, but the main cartridge is not a home job.

The current ones I think have a slightly different design which may stop them needing reviving so often.

Premier Icon peaslaker
    Free Member

Mine (160mm) has been reliable for a year.

However the design does mean it needs resetting after every uplift on chairlifts in the alps so I’ve temporarily retired it in favour of a recently rebuilt 150mm Reverb.  I’d quite like a permanently fitted small lever to perform the reset operation instead of having to delve for a 4mm allen key.

Premier Icon jam-bo

I’d quite like a permanently fitted small lever to perform the reset operation

They do one. It’s a couple of euros.

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve actually been looking at one of these, and to be honest for the price of two OneUp posts, and some slightly questionable reliability issues ive seen here & elsewhere, I don’t think I can bring myself to dropping £400 on one.

Even if I would like the extra bit of travel from the 185 model, reading this is just putting me off more.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

@martinhutch – they are fully rebuildable. Sacki have a video showing a full strip down including a list of oil volumes depending on travel. pvdwiki also has a write-up on how to adjust the travel on them which involves a cartridge teardown.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Didn’t realise that – got a link to the video? And do they provide a full seal kit, including the internals? I’ve only ever found the lowers kit.

I wouldn’t be put off by my experience, necessarily – there is no such thing as a dropper which works faultlessly for everyone, all the time. I’ve had problems with everything from a cheapy RSP thing, to a Thomson Covert.

I’d still consider the BY to be relatively reliable – any part unlucky enough to find itself on my bike is in for a hard life.

Premier Icon chakaping

Mine only needed resetting once in the three or four months it was on my bike.

Totally reliable for that period, but then it should be. Beautiful smooth action. A delight to use.

Boxed up awaiting my next 31.6mm steed now, wanted to buy one for my new 30.9mm frame, but went for the OneUp instead to save some money. Will be interesting to compare the two.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Premier Icon riklegge

For anyone who has the revive but without the permanent little reset lever, these are available separately. I bought a few as it took me over the free postage, so I have some spare if anyone wants one, £6 posted.

Premier Icon batman11

Martianhutch the early model ones with the reset issues will be fully repaired under warranty by Tftuned I had an early one to which was the same boomed it on and on,y lost it for 3 days so no hassle at all.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Martianhutch

🙂

I spoke to someone at TFTuned with this in mind – no offer was forthcoming, the best they could do was that I’d send it back for a 75 quid service and they might do the unit upgrade as part of that for no extra charge.

Premier Icon batman11

Well that sucks! I guess yours must be over 12months old! Ugh they would have done something about it as it was a known issue.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

In which case, is it worth having a word with Sacki? If you’re happy to do the work, he might sort you out on the parts.

Premier Icon bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Mine went back three times under warranty just after I bought it. I nearly gave up on it to go back to a Reverb. I had various issues but the main one was the actuator sticking along with loosing oil from the schrader valve and loosing air pressure.

I think mine was a Friday afternoon special. For some reason my ‘Revive’ logo is now on the piss after it’s last repair which also acts as a constant reminder of our relationship.

It has been fine since *touches wood*, never have to ‘revive’ it and the action is buttery smooth. Would I buy another? No chance.

Premier Icon johnw1984

My first one lost it’s oil through the valve.  Replaced by TF with no fuss, but the second one never felt as smooth to be honest. Good when it worked though.

Premier Icon Northwind

I’ve got 2 (due to getting one nicked, buying a replacement, then getting it back). Both have been pretty much faultless tbh though one only has a relatively small amount of use. Yes teh price is insane but there’s very little competition in the “really long post” stakes- it makes a useful difference for me over my old reverb. One needs reset a little more often than the other but it’s never happened during a ride- only when in the car I think.

Free Member

Oh, and the loss of oil caused it to sag ever so slightly with every pedal stroke, when the post then topped out it caused a knock. Took me ages to hunt it down as it never seemed to knock all the time, only under certain conditions.

With the post being brand new I never suspected it to be the cause. I had the back end of the bike stripped down at one stage.

Premier Icon martinhutch

For some reason my ‘Revive’ logo is now on the piss after it’s last repair which also acts as a constant reminder of our relationship.

Yes, I did this when reassembling it once. Very annoying, but easy to sort out. Bit rubbish to get it back after a service like that, though!

I should stop trying to fix stuff like the oil/sag thing and just send it back inside warranty really.

Onzadog – thanks for that video. Be useful if they supplied or specified the sizes of the o-rings that need replacing, but I guess I can get in touch with Sacki.

Free Member

Martianhutch (couldn’t resist!)

Is it really an easy fix?

I was prewarned it would be returned wonky but at the time I didn’t question it as I just needed it back ASAP. It sounded like it was due to a part being exchanged. It’s not 90 degrees out but enough to remind me every time it catches my eye.

Premier Icon martinhutch

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Basically you have to take it apart again and slot it back together with the logo pointing the right way. First time I did it it took about 30 mins, now it’s about 15. You need some bits and pieces – circlip pliers, a couple of spanners etc, and while it’s fiddly, it’s not super hard.</span>

Can’t think of any reason why it would ‘need’ to be misaligned. Unless that need was to not use up any workshop time sorting out a mistake.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

It runs on six guide pins rather than 3 so can be clocked around in 60° increments. Guess it depends how misaligned it is.

Premier Icon cabbage84
    Free Member

Mine has been faultless and ive just changed the outer sleeve from 30.9 to 31.6 for my new frame. 10-15 minute job and only about 37 euros for the new outer sleeve much cheaper than buying a new post.

Premier Icon oscillatewildly

ive got a revive 31.6 160mm in excellent condition (owned from new) im thinking of selling if anyones interested, drop me a message

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Free Member

All my Reverbs had be fine and reliable for 12 months with no fettling required. Some have lasted couple more years before crapping out.

Have been tempted by a Revive, but then I can get two Reverbs for the same price.

Premier Icon superfli
    Free Member

Mine was one of the first batch. Was faultless for 9 months, then started sticking near top of travel down. Sacki advised to do a lower service, which I did but no joy. I sent it back to TF and they repaired under warranty and upgraded it. I’ve not had any issues since and it very rarely needs bleeding since the upgrade (I bought the lever anyway for my first one). Its smooth as it was when new. My fav dropper I’ve owned (XFusion, Reverb, Giant) and would highly recommend it, although I’m sure I only paid £300 or so? 125mm preordered. 2 of my riding mates now have one.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘BikeYoke Revive Dropper post – Any reliability reports?’ is closed to new replies.