Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikey holiday for Whistler regular
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I probably can’t make it to Whistler next year,, for about the first time in 8 years. Can anyone recommend me a 7-10 day holiday with some good dh riding to ease the pain?

I’ll be travelling on my own so something organised would be good, if possible.

wallop

Do you prefer park or the more natural stuff?

mikey74
    Free Member

Natural stuff primarily, but a bit of park is also fun.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miketbrown
    Free Member

mikey74

Sorry I can’t help you with your original question, but I wonder if you could offer me any advice instead? I’m planning first Whistler trip next summer (early Aug), taking my 2 teenage sons (both pretty competent riders), 2 weeks & aiming at a mix of activities: park riding & trail/xc, maybe a bit of paddling, hiking or any good authentic outdoorsy experiences.

mikey74
    Free Member

Sorry, what’s the question? :mrgreen:

wl
    Free Member

mikey74 – It’s not a DH holiday, but if you’re prepared to do some pedalling then http://www.bikeverbier.com will take you to stunning out-of-the-way natural trails – as good as BC (and I’ve ridden BC plenty). They’ll also feed you like a king and put you up in their mint chalet with a great atmosphere, fine for solo travellers. If you prefer bike parks and full-on DH stuff, there’s always the nearby Verbier resort (accessible from BV’s chalet with a short pedal and a ride on the local ski lift), but you’d be missing an amazing opportunity to ride some very special stuff, including plenty of steep, techie riding if you want it.

miketbrown
    Free Member

mikey74

Can you recommend any good activities away from the bike park? We’ll have 2 week there and great though I’m sure the park is, it’ll be good to get away from it and do something a little more adventurous. Thanks.

miketbrown
    Free Member

mikey74 – It’s not a DH holiday, but if you’re prepared to do some pedalling then http://www.bikeverbier.com

I was in Verbier in 2006 I think and it was pretty amazing then (before the bike park). Like you say – lots of great steep, technical riding.

sweaman2
    Free Member

For miketbrown

Squamish Advenure center

mikey74
    Free Member

Can you recommend any good activities away from the bike park? We’ll have 2 week there and great though I’m sure the park is, it’ll be good to get away from it and do something a little more adventurous. Thanks.

From a riding point-of-view, the valley trails are well sign-posted, easy to find from Whistler town centre, and serve as a good intro to BC riding. Further afield, you have the out-of-town Whistler trails, such as Kill me, Thrill me, which is epic, if not in length, in technical climbs and descents.

Even further afield, you have Squamish: Visit Tantalus Bike shop and they’ll point you in the right direction. There is also Pemberton, again, visit a local bike shop for info (eg. Bike Co.)

Off the bike: In Whistler there is plenty of hiking on Whistler and Blackcombe, plus the Peak to Peak cable car to travel between the two. There is also zip lining and quad biking on the mountain: All info available in the rear entrance to the Garbanzo Bike and Bean shop (at the base of the lift).

Outside of Whistler, there is some epic whitewater rafting: I think this is the one I did:

Elaho-Squamish River

It is truly spectacular, flowing down glacial melt, surrounded by mountains, old growth forests, extinct volcanoes (Black Tusk – a basaltic/gabbro volcano). It’s like a journey from Lord of the Rings.

That OK?

Oh, you can also do bike heli-drops on nearby Rainbow mountain, and well as bungee jumping.

miketbrown
    Free Member

]

Outside of Whistler, there is some epic whitewater rafting: I think this is the one I did:

http://wedgerafting.com/elaho-squamish-river/

This looks great. Many thanks for all the ideas and info 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikey holiday for Whistler regular’ is closed to new replies.