• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Bikes you've loved despite their flaws…
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/BIKES/Cindercone.jpg

Mine would be my first ‘proper mountain bike’, a Kona Cindercone 2002. I’m a steel fan, so this being alu ment that the back end was a bit stiff for me, and the top tube a bit too short, meaning I had to hang off the back of the saddle to have enough room, and the forks tended to dive through their travel when breaking, and were rather boingy, so I sometimes felt I had no escape from harshness, between the boingy fork and the stiff back end, and the head tube could feel a bit steep.

But after fitting Avid BB7’s with full metal jacket outers, the breaking became awesome, and after a service by Tim Flooks, the forks had more rebound which made them less like a pogo stick, and after experimenting with fork pressure, I got into always standing up going down hill on anything vaguely rocky, leaning on the forks a bit for some cushioning and taking any impact through my legs, which did my technique good as I got complimented by a mountain bike guide in the Yorkshire Dales for my going down hill, a big surprise for me. I learnt to adapt my braking too, to allow for the fork dive. The short top tube helped for ‘hooning’ down things, too, in getting behind the saddle.

In the end the wield for the top bit of seat tube snapped due to me always hanging off the back of the saddle. I keep meaning to send it to Vernon Barkers to be repaired and strengthened, and fit a Works headset to take two degrees off the head tube angle, and start riding it again when I feel like a change, and to give to mates to ride so we can go out together.

Going to do that this weekend or next week now I think, having started this thread. Awesome.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Bikes you've loved despite their flaws…’ is closed to new replies.