Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bikes with drops, fat-ish tyres and MTB gears
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What’s out there? I’m aware of Salsa’s offerings, but you cannot get Genesis Longitudes any more.

monkeyboyjc

Smokestone  Mr Harry…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice, that, but not cheap.

crossed

Mason ISO?

molgrips
    Free Member

Mason looks like a Cutthroat but in alu and more expensive.

lucky7500

Brother Cycles, Big Bro.

llama

pipedream alice?

To get MTB gears in terms of high range 1x I think you need electric shifting or aftermarket mods.

llama

Mason looks like a Cutthroat but in alu and more expensive.

and in a lineup of lovely looking frames, it is the one hit with the ugly stick

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

On One Free Ranger with a smaller chainring swap?

PJay
    Free Member

There’s been a ‘new’ version of the Singular Swift in the pipeline for a long time now but it’s failed to appear. However, since the new Peregrine is due early in the Spring, a new Swift (or other suitable steel Singular) might show next year.

If you’re flush, a titanium Pegasus and Gryphon are also available!

ayjaydoubleyou

How fat do you consider fat tyred?

And by MTB gears are you specifically wanting a 10-50 1by drivetrain with clutch, or are you just wanting a range that allows off road climbs and road sprints?

monkeyboyjc

Nice, that, but not cheap.

You didn’t mention cost….

In that case….. (They also do a ‘cheap’ ti version)

ALBARDA 2 FRAME

tuboflard

Kona Sutra LTD. Super bike and (reasonably) cheap.

pigyn
    Free Member

I just popped another £100 off this as we are trying to freshen up the display…

2020 Bombtrack Hook ADV

p7eaven
    Free Member

A Longitude won’t really take drop bars, it’s too long (otherwise mine would have some on)

There’s usually a couple of hardly used ones for sale on FB tho. I got mine that way, it only had about 60 miles on it.

The Vagabond is designed for drop bars and 29er with 2.1 tyres but will go fatter. Mine came with a 2×10 Deore MTB setup

Fugio also (27.5/29)

Bombtrack Hook EXT?

Bearclaw have some nice spendy offerings too

At the other end of the budget scale there’s Polygon Bend R2 or Bend R5

tazzymtb

stooge rambler

jaminb
    Free Member

take advantage of the longitudes terrible depreciation – i have (twice)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=genesis+longitude&_sacat=0

aP
    Free Member

Whilst the mason ISO isn’t the most elegant bike, it rides superbly and will take 2.8″ tyres easily. The structural mudguard is really useful for packed riding as well.
    I’m waiting for the Rambler – then herself and I will be matched in terms of rubber 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

How fat do you consider fat tyred?

And by MTB gears are you specifically wanting a 10-50 1by drivetrain with clutch, or are you just wanting a range that allows off road climbs and road sprints?

Well this is for my mate who likes woodsy Chilterns riding but is a roadie, so he likes drops for distance and needs low gears for steep bridleways of which there are plenty round there. 50c might do it but probably 2.1 at least would be required IMO.

He’s quite taken with the Stooge Rambler but f me that stem it comes with.. urgh.

tazzymtb

my rambler has normal stem rather then super steep mone one. goes like a fker with 27.5 2.5 rubber on it.

aP
    Free Member

The Rambler doesn’t come with a stem. It’s frame and fork only. The moné stem is a neat solution for what it’s supposed to do.

CountZero

Go retro or go home!

jimdubleyou

I really want an iso, but it’s dream bike money for the GRX DI2 I fancy 🙂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

50c might do it but probably 2.1 at least would be required IMO.

The new Fearless, whatever it’s called, will take 50, I think. The newer Croix de fer claims clearance for 45 or 50.

The Light Blue Darwin Darwin will take 50, and there is an optional fork that’ll take a 2.1. if you’ve got the readies you can get a galvanized one. Adjustable dropout at the back. I quite fancy one. Imagine doing chip touch ups with a soldering iron!

highlandman
    Free Member

Shand Bahookie..?
    Stock build or custom geo.
    Bit expensive but at least it’s made here, not Taiwan/China.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16185429/polygon-bend-r5-gravel-bike-16185429 might fit the bill, loads of clearance up front, but limited by 420mm chainstays on the rear.

Stainypants

This came up on my YouTube feed this morning. He builds one out of a canyon 29er. Still only standard gravel gears though.

p7eaven
    Free Member

They want a Thunderhawk

ampthill

Well this is for my mate who likes woodsy Chilterns riding but is a roadie, so he likes drops for distance and needs low gears for steep bridleways of which there are plenty round there. 50c might do it but probably 2.1 at least would be required IMO.

OK so your into main stream gravel bike territory there provided you accept the compromise of 650b.

My mutant bike fits this brief and does get ridden in the Chilterns alot. Although the far East which is a touch smoother and less steep

It started out as Arkose but with the old model with a less wide fork. Step one was lower gears. Spa cycles chainset 38 26 and 36 11 cassette. This works with my road shifters amd mech just fine. Then I fitted a wider for and built up done 650b wheels. These ran 50mm tyres all summer I now have something a little narrower on. It’s turned about to be great fun off road

Ideally I’d have a space 2.1 inch tyres but it’s not the end if the world. I thought 650b would be a bit rubbish but they work fine and the bike feels lively and fun

Starting from scratch I’d build up a Sonder Camino. But there are loads of suitable bike out there

With cash to burn maybe a Fairlight secan

Kinesis do an alloy gravel frame as do ribble. Both sold as taking 650b 47mm tyres. But the tyres I ran last summer were badged as 47mm but were actually 50mm. Ask for owner feed back but I think they’d do

addy6402

Stayer Groadinger OG+ looks nice, up to 2.3″ clearance

CountZero

@stainypants – that is so much a copy of the Tomac Yeti I posted above, except he’s gone for what look like carbon rigid forks, instead of the Manitou suspension forks on Tomac’s bike.
    I saw Tomac ride at the Vail Worlds, in ‘93, or was it ‘94, not sure; amazing rider.

rOcKeTdOg

Singular Swift
    IMG_20211111_202404_475

ampthill

Just to say I was in Vail too

1994 I think

Stainypants

@countzero if you watch the beginning of the video there’s a absolutely gorgeous replica of Tomacs bike he then builds the Gravel bike as a tribute to that bike using modern components.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bikes with drops, fat-ish tyres and MTB gears’ is closed to new replies.