Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Bikes that you instantly hated.
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

‘…Turner 5 spot – creaky horst linked wallowing swamp pig…’

Lol – Brilliant!

djglover
    Free Member

Giant Reign, hired on in moab, ruined a perfectly good ride 🙁
    Whyte 46, too much travel, not slack enough, never needed anywhere near 6 ins.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Trek Fuel, cant remember what the worse thing about was but can still remember hating every minute of it, sold it and bought a Spesh S-Works HT that i loved 🙂

duntstick
    Free Member

2005 Stumpy,was light enough but blew through travel, having initially seeming too stiff for the small stuff.

I gave it away after trying all sorts to make it feel right

Northwind

I demoed an Mtrax 4.0 a while back, horrible piece of s***. It gets great reviews, I have no idea why, it rode worse than the £300 Carrera I had at the time despite being dripping with bike jewelry. Just felt like some goon had attached a load of nice bits to a supermarket frame.

twohats
    Free Member

That silly Pace RC 200 frame from a few years back with the carbon seat tube. So noodle like was the flex in the frame, it felt like the Q/R’s were missing! The seat post would unnervingly sway from side to side whilst riding, very scary…

HTTP404
    Free Member

Banshee Scirocco – very harsh ride
    Dawes Edge 1 – singlespeed with scaffold tubed rear stays. ouch.
    PA – didn’t like the high front end for my short back end. and my friend said it looked like a girls bike.

metalheart
    Free Member

Back in the day I got a steel Trek 990. Hated it. Tried a clapped out Cannondale M200 which was miles better and sold the trek pronto.

Also had a Aluminium O which was a nightmare (150 stem didn’t help like). It was even harsher than the cannondale turned out to be.

Ultimately didn’t get on with my Motolite (just never got the confidence on it sadly).

Had a Handjob that I really never got to grips with either. replaced it with my Soul (which I love).

Tried an Anthem X1 which I liked until I pointed it downwards… nah, not for me I’m afraid.

Oh and I never liked those old Pace hardtails. Just wrong. Seeing one seat tube separate from the bottom bracket only reinforced this for me…

Heres hoping my chumba turns out to be good!

bedmaker

After riding 29ers for a couple of years, I’ve tried loads of really ‘nice’ bikes at Laggan demo days and small wheels just feel wrong now.
    They seem to get sucked into rocky stuff the big wheels keep momentum on and wash out on fast open corners much more readily. s spot was probably the best i tried.
    Remember the Whyte 46 as particularly bad. Seemed like a waste of effort squishing it to the top of the red as the descent was all over the place. Felt like it wanted to spit you off on all the jumps and the forks were just nasty.

dalepoint
    Free Member

Cannondale prophet to many tubes plain ugly

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Never rode one,or even seen one in the flesh,or metal…The Giant Trance,it just looks shite.

Militant_biker

Giant VT

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Scott spark & scale.

Eccles
    Free Member

Oh yeah, nicolai helius CC. horrible. more roadie feeling arse up head down than my colnago. not right at all.

MrAgreeable

Eccles – Member

Mr Agreeable’s Cove. Forks too short, bars to narrow, shocking brakes and as for that colour…
    Posted 4 hours ago

Eccle’s PA. Like riding a fifth-hand oil rig with wheels. 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Hate is a strong word but I’ve never particularly liked any Kona full-sus bikes I’ve tried. I’ve also never liked Orange bikes, which is probably because I used to assist on test days at a local shop which was an Orange stockist (as well as others) and I always ended up riding Orange bikes when the punters took the better bikes made by other companies and I couldn’t ride my bike instead as they didn’t stock them. The Five and the 7+ were a couple I really disliked.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

orange 5, my god did i get brake jack on long or steep decents it was like being buckaroo’d

hicksville
    Free Member

quite a few really, ones that I have owned
    Marin Mount vision 1998/9
    Santa Cruz Bullit that was a dog to climb on loved the heckler
    Pace 2000 could not walk for a week
    Nicolai Helius CC, good bike but did not suit me.

Tried or borrowed,
    Orange 5, no no no
    cannondale raven

GaryLake
    Free Member

orange 5, my god did i get brake jack on long or steep decents it was like being buckaroo’d

Panic braking much? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Ellsworth I.D. Felt like I was sat ontop of a two storey building.

mike_p
    Free Member

06 Marin Mt Vision and 06 Stumpy FSR… both felt like I was towing a car tyre, although the Stumpy did have the redeeming feature of being very good downhill once gravity took over. The Marin was just hopeless.

Controversially… not mad about my Love/Hate either, just doesn’t seem to ride as well as the gas-pipe Inbred it replaced.

jimmy

Dialled Bikes Prince Albert. Didn’t get it at all.

Love the DB Alpine, however.

bowglie

Whyte PRST1 – very odd rocking chair ride (pass the travel sickness pills job)

zaskar
    Free Member

150mm full suss travel bikes ridden on local trails…

alpin – the Zaskar is a race bike and the rear triangle makes it stiff to fling it around corners super sharp. My fave racing hardtail but deffo not an all day bike unless you are in super duper uber shape-fatigue over rocks etc.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

my second hand dialled morning glory – my first ti ht, built it up with coil pikes and a nice wheelset it looked amazing , one ride and my back was destroyed for weeks meaning i missed the 2007 dyfi

bowglie

Ah, just remembered (shudder..!) my Gary Fisher Sugar, real love/hate bike – super fast shopping trolley steering, ace on flat tight & twisty singletrack, but absolute b***h on techy descents 😯

flying_spar
    Free Member

I wont go back for years i’d be here for ever, so most recently

Cannondale Scalpel – if i want a suspension bike i’d like it to work please. I would rather ride a hardtail.

Scott Ransom – just felt wrong in every way, too heavy for a carbon bike, strange geometry – managed to feel too long and too low at the front. horrid, i didnt even complete the test ride.

GEDA
    Free Member

Santa Cruz chameleon for me. Just to harsh. Are there any bikes here that people always like as we seem to has slagged off the holy grails of PA, Orange 5 and Turner?

GaryLake
    Free Member

To be fair, not everyone can afford multiple bikes and 150mm bikes are starting to be light enough to be a real do it all bike.

It’s the age old, just cause someone’s riding a freeride bike down a toe path – doesn’t mean that’s all they ride it on…

Edit: besides, when we were doing bike fest laps the other day it was my almost 150mm full susser that was comfortably the first to the end of the upper quarry trail – oooooooohhhh 😉

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Any Specialized full sus’ I’ve ever ridden.

sheldona
    Free Member

And there was I thinking my new SS was the most hated bike on here!

Dissapointed now.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

the worst bikes i’ve ever ridden / owned were ruined by set-up.

back in the day I bought a cannondale (M1000 i think) with Mag21’s the guy in the shop was very confident that because of the tall forks I needed a zero degree rise stem (it may even have been negative). That and the narrow flat bars and high saddle resulted in constant neck ache, and anything technical was a nightmare

i’ve now realised i don’t like clipless pedals, don’t care what anyone says, even tho i’m a jey xc rider – flat pedals, short stem and monster bars for me

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork. Felt all wrong to me and I bought a Kona

It’s got to be said I’d never go anywhere near a Giant or Scott because back in the day they made some horrid, cack bikes and I can’t get that out of my head. They still look cack too.
    Or a Nicolai until they learn to put the transfers on properly
    Or an Ibis Mojo. They just look crap.

BadlyWiredDog

Whyte PRST1N, or whatever it was called. Borrowed one for a couple of weeks from a mate, really hateful, awkward pig of a thing that dived through all its front end travel if you looked hard at the brake lever.

Whyte 46 – tall, long and terrifying at speed because of its XC angles. Really quite nasty.

The first incarnation of the SC Blur, just did nothing for me. Mark 1 Spesh Epic – clang, crash, bang, slam, clang etc – a really nasty 900-quid Claude Butler hardtail. Twitchy death. Came to hate the Giant Reign for its bland sluggishness despite liking it to begin with.

Oh, Harley Sportster, badge-engineered toss with a tiny fuel tank. Any Japanese custom-styled motorcycle bar the Vee-Max, which was class. I’m sure there are loads of others too. Mostly I’ve tried to forget them, so only the very worst have stuck in my memory…

singlespeedstu

sheldona – Member

And there was I thinking my new SS was the most hated bike on here!

Dissapointed now.

I’d have said your spork. But I’ve not ridden it yet.
    Have to wait until its dark and there’s no one around before I have a go on it…… 😉

aw
    Free Member

well generally any full suspension bike I have ever ridden – like riding in an armchair, could not see the point.

Tried to replace my old steel kona cindercone with a alu new one back in 2003 (the old one was 1997). I hated it and it didn’t come even close to the real steel feel! Oh and it had front suspension which was crap (old one didn’t have suspension forks and didn’t seem to need them).

johnners…

I was thinking of buying one of these, can you be more specific?

Hate’s a bit strong but I disliked my Roadrat from the minute I slung my leg over it. So much so that I stripped it down and sold the frame and wheels (which I’d built specially) in pretty short order. That sort of decisive action is very unusual for me, usually things end up in the loft in case I decide to give them another try in a couple of years!

My kona unit 29er I instantly hated as it felt too upright and slow (to accelerate) however it is true about the bigger wheels rolling over stuff more easily. Incidentally I tried it again recently and it felt much better 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Got an pre-current-shape Heckler thinking it might have been as good as the Chameleon it replaced but it just felt sluggish. Replaced that after 2 rides with the new ‘trendy’ bike – a Cotic Soul which for the first few rides I didn’t like either but the missus would have thrown a wobbler if I’d changed bikes twice in the space of a month so kept at it and it ended up being one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned.

onewheelgood

’09 Stumpjumper FSR Elite – just wrong in so many ways. Those Elixir brakes were nice though.

twohats
    Free Member

zaskar – Member

Does that mean that I can’t take my one and only MTB out on the local trails if I’m not riding “gnarly” stuff???

MrOvershoot

twohats – Member

zaskar – Member

Does that mean that I can’t take my one and only MTB out on the local trails if I’m not riding “gnarly” stuff???
    Probably if the bike fashion police catch up with you! But just thump off down some big steps to escape them 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Bikes that you instantly hated.’ is closed to new replies.