Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Bikes that are just annoying.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This. It’s not a 29er, which is WRONG. It should be a 29er. Why, oh why don’t Whyte like making 29er hardtails?* Would be buying one if they did.

null

AAARGH!

*Rhetorical question. I know why. Still annoys me.

tthew

I’ve got a Whyte 629, it’s ace. I think it’s still in the model line-up.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like a 2005 kona

lawman91

Yeah I always wondered why they didn’t just make it compatible with both Plus and 29″ wheels. Weird when the 529/629 look great at a lower price point, why not make the 900 series an extension of that?

I find Scott’s insistence on using Twinloc on all their FS bikes infuriating too. They are efficient enough as it is without adding all that gubbins on. If they made a Spark with normal fork/shock and slightly more aggressive geometry it’d be a killer bike. Basically make a Transition Spur with Scott stickers on it! A Spark DC as opposed to RC if you will…

jonesyboy
    Free Member

All the uk full suss bikes that can’t fit a full size water bottle, or worse still put it under the down tube to get covered in crap.

monkeyboyjc

Currently, for me anyway, it’s any road disc frame that has through axel’s front and rear and 142+ spacing so I can’t use my existing wheels and components. This seems to be all of them.

LAT

Yeti

davros
    Free Member

https://images.app.goo.gl/mbdcsihFKsYht7a36

I vote for my current bike the orbea occam based only on the weird brace from the downtube to seattube. It’s not there on their ebike which is essentially the same geometry but much heavier, which makes you wonder why they needed it there. It’s just a bit odd visually and it means you need a left handed cage. Not a deal breaker but it would look better without it.

sharkattack

That Whyte is minging. It’s not like you don’t have a choice from about a million 29er hardtails that look much nicer.

mjsmke

Any bike that is unnecessarily heavy.
    Any bike that doesn’t come in a size small.
    Any small frame bike with a 200mm dropper making the ‘small’ size unsuitable for smaller riders.
    Bikes with only a rear brake.
    BMX’s

Trimix
    Free Member

Gravel bikes annoy me.
    Just ride a mtb from the 90’s and fit drops if you need to feel special/different 🙂

didnthurt

Bikes in a range that deliberately have a spec that is significantly purer than the model above it. In order to make the better model appear good value for money.

Or great bikes in crap colour schemes.

Higher end bikes only coming in black. I like black but it’s all very boring.

didnthurt

Gravel term used in the UK to describe easy off road. There must be a better word.

weeksy

Pansy?

submarined
    Free Member

The answer to the original question is because they can’t even design in decent clearance to their 27.5s, nofrigginchance of them being able to do it on their 29s.*

* Entirely based on frustrating experience of a very limited number of 4 year old bikes from several generations back.

kerley
    Free Member

Gravel term used in the UK to describe easy off road. There must be a better word.

A better term for riding on a surface that is literally gravel, mmmm.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Gravel bikes annoy me.
    Just ride a mtb from the 90’s and fit drops if you need to feel special/different

I used to feel the same until I bought one on a whim. Now I love them. Ideal combination of decent abilities to just get out and ride when I don’t want to go full gnar on the MTB.

nickc

Literally any bike when it’s not being ridden.

Don’t get me wrong, I love bikes, but storage wise they’re a nightmare, things that stick out to bash yourself on, they won’t stand up by themselves, They take up way too much room…Really annoying.

roverpig

I’m not sure how you are supposed to buy an “mtb from the 90s” short of using a time machine. There isn’t even much second hand from that era that is still in decent working order. It’s irrelevant though. I have a fairly well maintained Specialized Rockhopper from around 1993. My wife still uses it to ride into the bottom of mountains and it’s still a fine bike. Feels totally different to my “gravel” bike though (not that I like the term much either). The latter feels closer to the touring bikes of my youth than the ATBs (as they were called then). It’s all just bikes though.

ayjaydoubleyou

I have only discovered this recently, but blind bearings in FS frame. Gah. Took me days.

Trimix
    Free Member

Another thing that annoys me are people trying to justify their bikes 🙂

roverpig

Why would anybody need to justify a bike? That’s like justifying eating or breathing 🙂

tomhoward

Bike that people buy just to flex their wallets.

funkmasterp

Transition Trans AM – why did they make it from the heaviest substance known to man. Great bike and weight doesn’t normally bother me but that thing was just heavy for no real reason

kayak23

Tandems.
    Really annoying.
    They take twice as long to go past when you’re waiting to cross the road.

didnthurt

I think dirt bike best suits what I ride mine on but that name is already taken.

zerocool

+1 for storing bikes. Especially if your garage also doubles as a gym and you need to maximise space

zerocool

People whinging that someone is ‘over-biked’ or riding a dentist bike just because they can’t afford something that expensive (I have guilty of this in the past) or want to ride a smaller bike. Some people can only afford 1 bike to do everything. While others can afford the shiniest toy going.

Wish I could afford shiny toys.

ayjaydoubleyou

People whinging that someone is ‘over-biked’ … just because they can’t afford something that expensive

Hold on, overbiked is nothing to do with cost, it’s about your suspension travel/head angle/tyre casing being unsuitably overspecced for its apparent use.

£10k worth of Yeti ARC race hardtail is not overbiked, for example.

endomick
    Free Member

Misread

tthew

+1 for storing bikes.

There must be a simple and elegant solution for a folding/rotating stem to allow them to stack closely. Mega-wide handlebars don’t help.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I love bikes, but storage wise they’re a nightmare, things that stick out to bash yourself on, they won’t stand up by themselves, They take up way too much room…Really annoying.

This is exactly the sort of petty annoyance this is about!

danmac
    Free Member

Carrera ebikes that whizz past me on my + up a vile uphill road section with the sweetest looking old dear at the bars chuckling at me as she does…

chestrockwell

I used to feel the same until I bought one on a whim. Now I love them. Ideal combination of decent abilities to just get out and ride when I don’t want to go full gnar on the MTB.

Yep, same here.

I’m not sure how you are supposed to buy an “mtb from the 90s” short of using a time machine. There isn’t even much second hand from that era that is still in decent working order.

You are not looking very hard, there are loads, you can even buy unused ones! If you went over to retrobike and put a wanted ad up you’d have plenty of choice within a day.

danmac
    Free Member

Or the days of youth gone by, when a bike was a bike, just a means to go and explore, adventure and have fun. When nobody got snobbish as about whos cost more etc etc

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually, thinking about it, the gravel bikes that do really annoy me more than normal gravel bikes are the ones that have droppers and suspension, front and rear. Now they are annoying. Not content with being a ridged Mtb from the 90’s with drops – no, they now want to be like a modern Mtb, with drops.

I remember seeing John Tomac racing a bike like that late 87 round a XC course, with drop bars. Margam Park I think. He won, but did look daft.

I saw an annoying gravel bike advertised a while back – it had flat bars. Flat bars, like the marketing department had just invented the idea !

maccruiskeen

I wonder what percentage of cargo / delivery bikes sold in the UK never even turn a pedal – and are instead destined to spend an eternity chained up outside a sandwich shop alluding to a service they don’t actually provide

branes

£10k worth of Yeti ARC race hardtail is not overbiked, for example.

It is if you’re overweight.

Tim
    Free Member

Gravel bikes, purely because of the marketing bollocks that goes with them.

Red bull are currently running a video of someone riding one down a section of very basic singletrack, not massively fast, as ‘making suspension gossip redundant’. It’s cringeworthy.

The bikes themselves are fine, I’d happily have one, but don’t kid yourself an XC bike wouldnt be a better tool for singletrack riding.

zerocool

Regarding to my last post, it was referring to 2 different annoying things and not meaning that a £10k XC hard tail was ‘overbiked’ more about people complaining about others with very expensive stuff (especially if they’re not that good/overweight/etc) and complainers about overbiked riders.

I am neither as I now only have a cheap hardtail (although I am middle aged and overweight these days).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.