Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bikes stolen in Edinburgh
  • Premier Icon chickenman

4 bikes stolen from shed Saturday morning:
    Liteville 301; black XL with white forks, blue chainring and hubs.
    Santacruz Blur Classic; white with black forks, blue stem and hubs.
    Spesh Vita hybrid. Black, small
    Mongoose hybrid, black, disc brakes large.

3 locks cut and bikes lifted over a fence. all a bit mental really.

Premier Icon Liftman
    Free Member

What area

Premier Icon chickenman

Trinity/Newhaven so will be lurking somewhere in West Pilton/Drylaw I suspect.

Premier Icon tenfoot

Sickening isn’t it? I lost 3 bikes, locked, from my garage last week.

Hope yours turn up.

Premier Icon BikePawl
    Free Member

Jeez chickenman that is bad news, I’ll keep my eyes open.
    Ruaraidh will be gutted.

Premier Icon ojom
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that dude.

Always nervous about mine.

Premier Icon wanmankylung
    Free Member

Got a picture of the Liteville? Saw a hooded chav riding a very suspiciously nice looking black bike round by Pennywell shops around half an hour ago.

Premier Icon 2007kevin
    Free Member

Happened to me at Easter, had my Whyte e-120 and my Enduro stolen from the garage. I fanatically searched eBay and gumtree for months (I used trovit.com too) and found them both and got police to seize them. One was in Bathgate and one was in Cornwall!
    Police told me to be very wary of gumtree, thieves use it to swap a stolen bike for your genuine one or if you are selling they come to have a look, decide it’s not for them, then you get broken into the next day!
    Make sure you use your privacy settings on strava too as they use that to see where bikes are.
    Hope you get them back and the little Scrooges get what’s coming to them.

Premier Icon chickenman

Thanks for all your support. I am too thick to get my pictures from Picassa and put them up on here.
    The black Liteville is distinctive with its white Lyriks and its weird folded over on itself linkage (reminds me of a Praying Mantis).

Premier Icon dmorts

That sucks, hope you get some leads. There’s been a few I’ve heard of recently, including an Ibis just last week and a work colleague couple of months ago.

Any idea as to how you were targeted? Rack on car? Bikes moved in and out a lot? Dodgy neighbours?

Premier Icon cruzcampo
    Free Member

Ill keep an eye out on the web. Ive set some ebay alerts up too.

What locks did they go through? Any evidence of type of tools used? They seem to be going through them like butter as of late.

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

You kept a Liteville 301 in a shed?

Premier Icon chickenman

Massive bolt cutters used. bike lock round gate almost cut through, fence climbed over (anti vandal paint no deterrent), shed door eyelet on hasp 12mm steel cut through. Bikes chained to floor in shed with huge padlock which was cut through.
    Hora, not everyone has domestic arrangements which let them keep bikes in the house. I thought my security was pretty bombproof; I will be keeping my bikes off site in the future!

Premier Icon hora
    Free Member

I totally understand- I’ve got a brick built shed, a large shed and a semi-garage. Neither of my bikes live in them. Worse case I store wheels/other stuff that I don’t mind losing too much in them.

One day insuring bikes will be very prohibitive/beyond most people.

Premier Icon fatmax

Gutted for you.
    I had a Scandal 29er and SC Blur classic taken from my garage in Cramond last year. Policewoman that now lives next door said that they would have sussed out the house at some time, perhaps when I’ve been out washing the bikes / had the garage door open. Pilton / Drylaw area mentioned as a possibility.
    It’s worth keeping an eye on Gumtree – a girl in the office had her bike nicked, and a guy put it straight up for sale with another 9 that they guy had taken. The police fecked up though and managed not to get her bike back or catch him!

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Sorry to hear 🙁

If you really have no choice but shed as storage the key is using a few different types of lock.. As you’ve found out the hasp type are useless and easy prey for croppers..

Luckily my hasp/padlocks were cut(I scared him off) lwhich alerted me to them being rubbish….

Closed hasp type(shutter lock) or large round ones you see on back of vans.. I have both on there and so far so good .. It’s all only a deterrent though insurance as final back up ..

Hope you get some good news ..

Premier Icon cruzcampo
    Free Member

I think the key to shed/outbuilding security is an alarm which goes off in the house when shed breached. Be it a wireless addition to house alarm, or many of the wireless alarms which have a secondary alarm in the house. Most bikes go overnight so this will always alert you to scum in the garden.

Someone has linked something like this cheaper before, but either a dialler alarm, or dual alarm…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Security-Autodial-Controller-Warehouse/dp/B00N9UWFGU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1410198740&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=shed+alarm+with+house+backup

Premier Icon tomcrow99

Feel your pain, had three bikes nicked from my garage in Ratho a few weeks back, very nervous about putting the replacements back out despite much increased security. A mate in Wardie had his shed done over a week ago. Nightmare round here just now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bikes stolen in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.