Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bikes replacing golf! Woo-hoo! (new bike park content)
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Woo hoo! Some good news at last:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/entry-hill-bath-golf-course-5057826

A municipal glof [sic] course in my manor (Bath) is being turned into a purpose-designed bike park.

It appears to be the same lot who do Ashton Court:

https://www.pedalprogression.com/bbp-news/

This in particular sounds promising:

“In line with our company values, we want to create a park that is inclusive and progressive. Our concept design features a Velosolutions asphalt pump track, multiple dirt jump lines, a dual slalom track, a full range of graded trails, skills area and a learn to ride area. We believe our bike park will provide possibilities of progression from balance bike right through to decent sized jumps. Whether it’s used as an inner city training ground ahead of trips further afield, or for people practicing with the intent of progressing within the park, we believe there will be something for everyone at Bath Bike Park.”

I, for one, cannot wait.
    🤟🏻

kayak23

Cool. We have a golf course in my town that is hopefully going to get similar treatment.
    Highly doubtful that we’ll get a bikepark proper, but we may get some family trails and bits at least which will be a start.
    👍

ta11pau1

Awesome news, we need more places like this being built – there’s enough sodding golf courses anyway. Perfect location right in town, should be a focal point for kids and adults.

That picture of the wrinkly old opposer says it all in one picture.

Jakester
    Free Member

Is that Leamington (I surmised from the local authority thread)? Is the glof course up by the BMX track? I spent many an hour up there years ago – the ‘gap’ jump from the BMX track over the road to the glof course was always fun, and even under the harshest torture I couldn’t possibly admit to jumping the bunkers…

poah
    Free Member

pay-to-ride Bath Bike Park sounds crap though.

el_boufador

Leeds Urban Bike Park is exactly how to do it

crazy-legs

LUBP is fantastic. They’ve recently redone the jump line too, really tidied it up.

Hope the Bath one is as successful.

MoreCashThanDash

The council have offered our cycle club the use of the new “clubhouse” for the little municipal 9 hole course. I’m thinking it could be the start of a proper takeover……

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bikes replacing golf?  Reminds me of a funny comment I saw on instagram earlier 😀

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL6MMuHFvZr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

@rocketdog
    report me if I shouldn’t have linked but I liked Taz’s comment so much I almost snorted a snot bubble when I read it🤣

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not the uphill part of the main jumpline! But yeah really good inclusive place that encourages progression. Seeing all the smiling faces both young and old is no mean feat.

Hopefully it’s the catalyst for more of the same.

Gribs

This. Free to use but with an expensive cafe. It seems to attract people on BSO’s and the usual T5/Audi avant trail centre crowd.

Jakester
    Free Member

poah

pay-to-ride Bath Bike Park sounds crap though.

I’d say it sounds a whole lot better than under-used glof course!

austen

Think I’m going to need a little hardtail in the office once that opens – the lunchtime sprint up from the middle of town should do my fitness some good.

Looking forward to taking my daughter over – they better do a mean hot chocolate!

v7fmp

happy days! Always nice to see cycling trumping other activities and should be a good place for all ages and abilities to enjoy.

bangaio
    Free Member

I ride bikes and play golf and it’s a shame this is happening to a municipal course. There’s plenty of courses out there but not many easy and cheap to access ones.

They’re both getting people outdoors at the end of the day.

matt_outandabout

This is a Good Thing.

bangaio
    Free Member

Yes getting rid of open cheap public access to a sport that is hard to access. Great.

I love cycling and love bikes but this kind of thread has reminded me why I stopped visiting this place a long time ago.

llama

pay-to-ride Bath Bike Park sounds crap though

Yes but it’s Bath, we can afford to pay

Seriously though, the council are broke, I’d rather have a good paid for facility than none at all.

I ride bikes and play golf and it’s a shame this is happening to a municipal course

There is another course in the city (and many, many private courses on the outskirts)

Jakester
    Free Member

bangaio
    Free Member
    Yes getting rid of open cheap public access to a sport that is hard to access. Great.

There is a second, larger municipal course on the other side of town. The present course was under-used as a glof course, and cost the council £8 per round of golf. It’s on the site of a former rubbish dump, so not like it’s pristine natural land.

I love cycling and love bikes but this kind of thread has reminded me why I stopped visiting this place a long time ago.

And yet you came back just for this?

If you’re moaning about cyclists celebrating an increase in cycling facilities, perhaps you’re in the wrong place?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bikes replacing golf! Woo-hoo! (new bike park content)’ is closed to new replies.