Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bikes on trains
  • druidh
    Free Member

I just called to book 3 of us and bikes onto a First TransPennine train on Saturday. What a joke!

(a) I can only book two spaces. They might let a third on “at the discretion of the train manager depending on how busy the train is”.
    (b) We’re not even guaranteed the first two if the train is very busy.

This is the train that runs from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport.

Who do I write to?

Frustrated of Edinburgh

RobHilton
    Free Member

Girls on film

druidh
    Free Member

Snakes on Planes?

uplink
    Free Member

You’re getting on at the start I take it?
    Get there early

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

🙁 Rubbish news!

druidh
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    You’re getting on at the start I take it?
    Get there early

Aye – that’s what I’m thinking. Not much point in booking though.

And what if the train gets busy once we’re on (unlikely……)?

druidh
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike – Member
    Rubbish news!

YGFBPM

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You should try getting from Larbert to Edinburgh in the afternoon. …..

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – but that’s just complicated by the quarantine/disinfection process

RV
    Free Member

Put them in a bag, hand luggage.

stanfree
    Free Member

Druidh I work for Scotrail (same parent company as TPS) , the manchester sets are always absolutely mobbed and I wouldn’t hold out much chance of you getting 3 bikes on there. Also they have been running 3 cars instead of 6 car sets recently. All you can do Is send an email on the contact part of First TPS website.
    Pretty pish really as Its a great service and skirts very close to some good biking areas of the lakes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

RV beat me to it. Wheels off, bag them up = luggage.

druidh
    Free Member

stanfree – Member
    Druidh I work for Scotrail (same parent company as TPS) , the manchester sets are always absolutely mobbed and I wouldn’t hold out much chance of you getting 3 bikes on there. Also they have been running 3 cars instead of 6 car sets recently. All you can do Is send an email on the contact part of First TPS website.
    Pretty pish really as Its a great service and skirts very close to some good biking areas of the lakes.

I’m particularly disappointed as First Scotrail are usually excellent for bikes.

What do you reckon to the “bag them up” idea?

RV
    Free Member

I didn’t even take my wheels off.Just wheeled it in. CTC bag from Wiggle £6.99. Even the underground Nazi’s couldn’t stop me and they tried……. My road bike on the Piccadilly line on a Sunday afternoon

stanfree
    Free Member

Your best course of action if you are passing the Waverley would be to ask at the booking office beside platform 12 / 13 . Bagging them up is a good idea as they wont obviously look like bikes just big luggage. Its pretty shite how little space there are on class 185 units considering they go to Manchester airport.
    Its a shame its not like the old days with the Guards van that you could put yer bike In.
    Best of luck.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want to borrow bike bags I have a couple

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on trains’ is closed to new replies.