Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bikes – insurance recomendations please?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

My trusty M&S insurers have halved the cover on my bikes this renewal. I have several bikes, three which I’ve built up over the years would cost around 3500 plus each to replace now. Does anyone have recomendations for insurers which cover these amounts on bikes without a massive hike in premium. M&S want around 120% increase in last years policy to offer the same cover as they did – last year! I’ve never made a claim either.

Thanks

W

boloclips
    Free Member

Try the NFU Bath Branch is good phone them and ask for Emma. very good service and price.
    Let Emma know you were recomended from someone on this forum.
    Cheers

vinnyeh

I think we’re all on our own for this now when renewal comes around- best to try every company you can.
    I’ve followed lots of thread over the last couple of months, and there’s no insurer that stands out anymore if you’ve got some high value kit

EDIT: do you mean your premium has more than doubled, or gone up by 20%? If it’s only gone up by 20% I’d probably stay for the generosity of cover.

woodsman
    Free Member

More than doubled – 120%! from 220 to 450 quid per year, which does include home contents but NOT buildings cover.

Boloclips – do the NFU cover non-farming related domestic then?

Thanks for th advice so far..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

the good news is the value of your bikes has halved since you bought them too. Stick what you can on your noraml contents policy, spend the rest of what the additional cover would cost on security or put it on a horse.

boloclips
    Free Member

Woodman yes they do. I have cover from them including a £3500 bike with accidental damage and home inc contence for £30.00 per month. BARGIN

woodsman
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll look into NFU.

In the meantime anyone getting a good deal insuring their bikes?

timdb
    Free Member

I used E and L on a rolling monthly contract as a temporary measure before I could find something more competitive. They cover up to £5k I think..
    Sadly I haven’t found anything more competitive so looks like I’ll be sticking with them at 40-odd quid a month.. 😯 🙄

Flaperon

Having made a number of claims with NFU, I’d recommend you don’t touch them with a bargepole.

variflex
    Free Member

The Halifax have just added my bikes (all built up over time) using LBS valuation for around £20 per bike per year. I do have buildings and contents with with which I guess helps.

stumpytom
    Free Member

Mine are limited to £2500 which is not enough if they all go but does include accidental damage as long as I am not racing. Having said that I have another on the way this week so may look in to another Insurer to up the limit. Will ask you about it tonight if you are out Pete?

woodsman
    Free Member

Perhaps my M&S deal isn’t that terrible after all. I’ll have a think on it all. Thanks everyone.

Tom, not riding tonight as you will have gathered by now! Long day at work – it does happen sometimes! 😉

cinnamon_girl

I had the same predicament as you with a premium doubling due to 3 bikes being over their new limit. Spoke to LV who wanted £1,200. 😯

In the end I’ve stayed with M & S mainly cos if anything got stolen then it would be like for like replacement per se.

br
    Free Member

I renewed and have accepted that the most I could claim is £2k per bike, and since they don’t need to be named I guess if they took all my bikes they’d average out at £2k 🙂

Tracey

Ours is due on the 1st March, had one bike named last year and now had to name three, £5900, £3500 and £3000, all the others are below the £2000 limit. Tried all over but couldnt get the same cover for all the bikes as M & S were offering. Rang tnem up and got a quote for £150 excess instead of the £50 we had and we are now paying less than last years premium.

granny_ring

Variflex, what value bikes are you talking about?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Rang tnem up and got a quote for £150 excess instead of the £50 we had and we are now paying less than last years premium.

Upping the excess for the win. Mine was £100 before but I wouldn’t think about making a claim for anything less than a grand or so as it screws your future premiums. Upping mine to £250 got a couple of £4k bikes on at no increase in premium.

aracer
    Free Member

Apologies for reviving yet another insurance thread, but I’ve found the same as above – when I added the bikes on M&S the premium shot up, but I upped the excess and it brought it back down to almost the same price as before (£200 seems the sweet spot – increasing to £250 not really worth it). M&S certainly aren’t the cheapest for basic insurance now, but they still appear pretty good value when adding several expensive bikes compared to the alternatives – have tried lots of companies today, and when adding my fleet they were all lots more expensive if they’d insure me at all. M&S terms also still seem a bit better.

I guess most people on here don’t actually have a fleet quite as expensive as mine in total though, even if my most expensive isn’t actually as expensive as others have. I got a much better deal out of old M&S terms than most because of number of bikes – and no, it’s not my faulty they’ve changed it, as I’ve never claimed on my M&S policy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bikes – insurance recomendations please?’ is closed to new replies.