Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bikes from Indonesia – any experiences?
  • catcher
    Free Member

Has anyone used these guys http://www.indoantara.com/products.php?product=2012-Scott-Genius-10-Bike , prices seem ridiculously cheap? I know there’ll be tax as I’ve imported from California before, but still bargain prices. What’s the catch?

piha
    Free Member

jota180
    Free Member

What’s the catch?

The bikes don’t exist, your cash does

TheFlyingOx

My experience of Indonesians is that they haven’t the first idea what customer service is, but they’re not generally out to scam you. To suggest otherwise is on a par with claiming that Gypsies are thieving scum, and posts like that get deleted with a side of banhammer rather quickly.

Risk it, but on a credit card. You might be pleasantly surprised.

mrdestructo

Indonesia is a vast shipping hub, a large reason why the Dutch colonised it. Big business over there. Interestingly, although a lot of stuff we import to this country has started to come from there after the minimum wage in China went up, and the cost of manufacturing, the cost of living in Jakarta is pretty much what it is here.

Exactly how much shipping and import tax will you pay? If you are taking away the overhead costs that a dealer here is adding on, how different is the cost?

jota180
    Free Member

Domain Name: INDOANTARA.COM
    Registrar: PT ARDH GLOBAL INDONESIA
    Whois Server: whois.resellerid.com
    Referral URL: http://www.resellerid.com
    Name Server: NS1.INDOANTARA.COM
    Name Server: NS2.INDOANTARA.COM
    Updated Date: 01-apr-2012
    Creation Date: 30-mar-2012
    Expiration Date: 30-mar-2013

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indonesia is a huge and diverse country, very hard to generalise. They have some excellent hi-tech manufacturing (e.g. carbon and composite racing sailing boats where they are the world wide builder).

I would have no issue buying from a UK company who did their manufacturing in Indonesia, buying direct from Indonesia on a “price basis” I wouldn’t do.

@mrdestructo – I don’t mean to be an @rse but whilst the cost of living for an expat in Jakarta may be similar to the cheaper bits of the UK, for the average local it is an absolute fraction.

tomhoward

This has scam written all over it, ask them a ridiculous question, ie ‘is this the edition with the new fallopean tube design?’ and see what they come back with.

If it sounds too good to be true…..

mrdestructo

@Jambalaya I’m only going by what my OH is telling me, and she’s from Jakarta (Dutch heritage)

I’m trying to ask around amongst family and friends to have a look at the company locally. Nothing guaranteed.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve been to Jakarta a number of times (not a nice place imo) however we live like kings as its so cheap…we stayed at the Ritz Carlton on our last visit 8)

jota180
    Free Member

Risk it, but on a credit card. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, right 😀

Once you’ve provided payment, your order will be completed. The outstanding balance of your order is $1,357.50 USD. Instructions on how to pay for your order are shown below:

Additional Information:
    Contract Term: FOB
    Payment Term: Bank Transfer
    Transportation: FedEx Airmail

Please contact us for Bank Account Number at sales@indoantara.com

was
    Free Member

Email and see how much they can get you a planet-x el guapo for.

I bet they can supply them for less than on-one 😀

scud
    Free Member

I think that there has been a few threads on here before where this is shown to be a scam.

I’ve no doubt Indonesia is lovely but if something looks like ridicously cheap then there is usually a reason for that and in the day and age of the internet, if you could truly buy bikes for those prices then

a) we’d all do it

b) there would be companies here buying them at that price and selling on for a profit (like many bike parts from China/ Taiwan)?

njee20
    Free Member

Dear god there are some morons trusting folk on here! A shop that sells every major brand (including Trek, who don’t allow their bikes to be shipped), for absurdly cheap prices. Even before seeing the domain information it couldn’t look more dodgy!

But yes, go on OP, Indonesians aren’t into scamming, I’m sure the manufacturers just do their bikes so much cheaper over there so they can still afford carbon bikes on their meagre wages, they are actually charities after all! 🙄

catcher
    Free Member

Having travelled throughout Indonesia, including Sumatra, Java etc I’ve nothing but good things to say about the people. I really wasn’t after damning comments about Indonesia or its people, just experiences of actually using the company listed. Like many above, I feel it has scam all over it……..but thanks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrdestructo – understood and appreciated

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bikes from Indonesia – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.