Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bikes are rubbish.
  • Olly
    Free Member

FINALLY got my new wheel built today.

Pesky Parcel force had been “helpful” and left it with the owner of the shop below our flat, however the shop is open 9:30 till 4:30 M-F

skived work this morning to retrive it in the end.

got the rim: whoot
    got the spokes: whoot
    Got the hub: whoot.

Built the wheel!

Bit dissapointed with the quality of a shimano freewheel (im new to this screw on freewheel SS game) but lets go with it.

Wheel in bike

does the wheel turn?

does it COCK!

turns out, you cant use a 160mm disk rotor with a dmr revolver hub.

SO.

now need to either upgrade the back end rotor and caliper mount.

or just get a new caliper mount, put a 160mm on the front, 180mm on the back, and “roll” all out of sorts.

chicks wont dig a bike with its rotors the wrong way around will they!

COULD just buy a pack of washers, and shim the rotor out and the caliper up, but that doesn’t strike me as overly sensible.

Janesy
    Free Member

You think your day has been bad, pfft 😉

Olly
    Free Member

not really, just irritated.

not intending to ride it tonight, just, feel all unsettled knowing that its “broken”.

My bodgey Zen has been disrupted

epicyclo

Olly – Member
    …turns out, you cant use a 160mm disk rotor with a dmr revolver hub….

I’m sure I had a 160 on mine at one stage. Certainly don’t remember problems.

funkynick

Hold on… why can’t you use a 160mm disc on that hub? It’s just a standard 6-bolt pattern isn’t it?

R.lepecha

how can it not take 160mm rotors, knaff hub that sounds!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Its woop woop not whoot. WTF is a whoot?

Olly
    Free Member

the disk mount appears to be too close to the hub flange, which means with the width of the caliper, it rubs on the spokes as they pass.
    its a newly built wheel, maybe if i crank the spokes up really tight they will pull flatter :s
    not sure im that keen on that idea though.

dmr up to their usual excellent standard as ever.

R.lepecha

is the wheel dished centred then> sounds like your calliper is either huge or the wheel aint dished straight.

james
    Free Member

Is there any scope (in the calipers range of movement) to shim the rotor away from the mounts?
    What caliper is it?

Olly
    Free Member

its a hayes nine, which isnt the slimmest of calipers (but certainly no C2 fat)

and a sun rhyno rim, which will step the spokes out a tiny amount as its 21mm wide, but not miiiiles. a few mm at best.

and when i whoot, i do mean whoot,
    whoop is totally different :p

funkynick

How much interference is there between the spokes and the caliper? Is it only a fraction? Or a few mm?

Olly
    Free Member

a mm or 2,
    it will turn, but it clunks.

Par example however, on the Hope hubs, theres a good 6-7mm clearance.

funkynick

It’s because the flange on the DMR hubs sits right up against the disc mount, whereas the Hope hubs have a gap between them. I understand this is done to allow the DMR hub to be built up as zero dished wheel.

You can get disc spacers, I think I might even have had one once, but I then found that the bolt heads fouled on the dropouts!

Can you not build the wheel so that all the spoke heads sit to the outside? Would this weaken the wheel at all?

Olly
    Free Member

I like your thinking, but don’t think its possible. TRied fiddling the dish but its way out now. 180mm mount tomorrow I think, after retruing wheel. Doh and grr

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

…..and to top it all off you bought it from ChainReaction so your bank account has been rinsed. Bad luck.

sc-xc

TheSwede – Member
    Its woop woop not whoot. WTF is a whoot?

It’s actually ‘woot’ – It was from a game that someone linked here a few years ago. The object of the game was to get the girl to shag you…

epicyclo

Olly – Member
    the disk mount appears to be too close to the hub flange, which means with the width of the caliper, it rubs on the spokes as they pass.

I definitely did not have that problem with either of mine. One was even built up with 17.5mm offset which would have accentuated the problem if it existed.

Sounds like you got a dud hub.

jools182
    Free Member

bikes are rubbish

not been out on mine in weeks after scratching my stanchions 🙁

took it to the bike shop yesterday to have a new longer hose on the front brake. Feels spongy now, nowhere near as positive as it was before I took it in

and now my back brake has seized on

properly fed up with it

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Just file off a bit of the caliper. I had to do this to get my 203mm discs to work with XTR calipers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bikes are rubbish.’ is closed to new replies.