Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Bikes and Supermarkets
  • jeffl

So cycled over to Tesco last night to get a couple of last minute bits & bobs. Anyway on the way out, after wheeling my bike round most of the store and paying, a nice security guy asked me not to bring the bike into the store in future because of 'health and safety'.

Fair enough their decision and I could have locked it up. But I've taken bikes around other shops before and never been asked not to. What's everyone else's experience with this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You took your bike round a supermarket? WTF?

Heard of locks?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i've never really bothered trying

if they let you in with your bike they have to let all the little kids and their BMXs and argos specials do so too, i know i'd get pretty mugged off i was trying to get my trolley full of cake round and it was full of people pushing bikes.

the 'health and safety' spiel is just polite way of saying 'because it'd be pretty annoying really wouldn't it'

vinnyeh

I've done it a bit, since I don't normally carry a lock. Some places let you in, some don't.
    I'd assumed it was a hygiene issue.
    Got told off for having the kids standing in a supermarket trolley yesterday- they told me it was both a safety, and hygiene issue.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i always take my bike in shops. if asked not to i simply reply "see that bike? that bike cost more then you earned last year"

allyharp

I wouldn't expect to be allowed to take my bike in.

I also wouldn't like to shop or work in a supermarket full of muddy tyre tracks either.

vinnyeh

i always take my bike in shops. if asked not to i simply reply "see that bike? that bike cost more then you earned last year"

and then they say 'I don't care, my car cost more than you earned last year. Now **** off'. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey, Smee got another login quick!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have done it a couple of times when I have forgotten my lock. Its no different from an H&S or hygiene point of view than a pram or wheelchair is it?

I have also done it in smaller shops – just asked the person behind the counter if I can.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Heard of locks?

+1

Why would you even enteretain taking it into the shop?!?! Can you drive your car round?

Eejit! 😐

Gary_M
    Free Member

When you say always is that what you really mean, every time you go in a shop you take your bejewelled bicycle with you?

If I was unfortunate enough to work in a shop you came into and said that to me I'd tell you to f off.

jon1973
    Free Member

I bet you doing your shopping in your dressing gown and slippers as well.

😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Asda seemed happy enough for me to take my bike around, in fact one of the staff asked if I'd complain that there were no locking facilities outside as he'd like to ride to work but couldn't.

I jus don't go when it's busy and make sure I dry the wheels while taking it around, but then it is a road bike and doesn't leave a trail of mud everywhere, but any grotty kid could walk in covered in mud and my bike doesn't handle the fruit and veg/produce.

jeffl

Just to clarify the bike wasn't covered in mud and I wasn't riding it around the shop just pushing it. Also doubt my bike is worth more than someone's yearly wage. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member

do they then ask if they can withdraw their annual wage and wander round your house holding it? 😆

jonahtonto
    Free Member

calm down guys its just a quote from a film – meant only as a bit of fun
    all so very precious of your supermarkets on here aren't you

jonahtonto
    Free Member

and cos i cant resist it- id reply no cos you dont own your car – the bank that loaned you the money does, and no they cant cos i own my house and you dont own this supermarket

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Win!

kevonakona
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Blimey, Smee got another login quick!

Not on this thread BUT watch out, watch out, there's a zoo-fighter about.

Harry_the_Spider

I've ridden one into Tesco once when on a mission to by some Rizzlas but in my defence I was very very drunk.

Happy days.

romster
    Free Member

Perfect example of why such supermarkets should stick to selling discounted 4 packs!

ziggy
    Free Member

Wot tyres for supermarket shopping? 😆

Actually I think the OP is on to something, how quick would shopping be if you could ride round, much more fun too.

Personally I wouldn't have the cheek to park my bike in a shop, bought a New York chain instead.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I've taken my bike around various supermarkets and DIY stores – figure a trolley is more of an inconvenience than a bike; never had a problem other than the occasional tut from someone who thinks it just isn't the done thing – like some above it seems…. However in that bike loving place that is France I was told to keep it outside every time.

Edric64
    Free Member

I drew the line at walking round with the front wheel when I forget my lock .At least scum cant ride off on your bike.I can't believe anyone would take a bike round a shop if it were my shop I would tell you to jog on !"!"

zokes
    Free Member

if it were my shop I would tell you to jog on !"!"

He'd have no need, He could ride much more efficiently…

falkirk-mark

I would not be too pleased if people started walking round my local supermarkets with their bikes (neither would I suspect would most of the customers) and I suspect the store policy would be to keep the majority of shoppers happy

WTF
    Free Member

ziggy – Member
    Wot tyres for supermarket shopping?

😆

samuri
    Free Member

There's far more health and safety issues in a supermarket than a bike.
    Look at all the slow people who can't even buy some milk without standing there with a dumb expression on their faces because they've forgotten why they're there. What if there was a fire, those people would be risking your life as their brain tried to assimilate the noise and panic.

What about people with trolleys full of crisps or people who stand in the middle of the **** isle after they've met someone they know. How about perfectly able people who park in the disabled spaces or people who leave their trolleys in parking spaces.

No, no no no no. These are the true health and safety issues, customers. Ban 'em.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

bike in a supermarket? c'mon, theres a time and a place, theres enough problems in these place with OAP's, kids and scum, we don't need to add ****ts to the list

Reluctant
    Free Member

When I go shopping, I take my minger!

Minger

rootes1

i often wheel by folded brompton around.. or put it in the trolley

elf and safety makes be laff, trolleys full of fat kids pushed by fat people are more of a risk to others….

once got told that could not bring my unfolded brompton in to a m&s metro due to 'elf and safety' just as another shopper tripped over a bread basket a member of staff had just left in the doorway…. lol

highclimber
    Free Member

I'm with the OP on this one. there are times when you don't take a lock or there isn't a suitable immoveable object to chain it to in which case I would take my bike with me into the supermarket.
    I once was challenged by the store gestapo and politely mentioned that the facilities to affix my bike outside were a little less than sub-standard and that it was no different to having a pram being pushed around the store. he scratched his head and suggested that he would watch it from the doorway if I left it beside the door. I obliged. problem solved.

there is no need to get upset about a bike in a supermarket when there are trolleys everywhere!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My brother was asked by the staff at the Specialized Concept Store in Harrogate not to bring his bike in to their store – I shit you not.

And it wasn't some cheapo piece of shit either – it's a top spec Pace hardtail.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the guy in machine mart told me not to bother locking my bike next time and to bring it in.

ace. 8)

jon1973
    Free Member

if it were my shop I would tell you to jog on

Jog on? are you a cockney wide-boy?

maxray
    Free Member

My brother was asked by the staff at the Specialized Concept Store in Harrogate not to bring his bike in to their store – I shit you not.

Most fo the bike shops I have been in would get pretty chocker if everyone brought their bikes in with them.

Really don't understand why you would be shocked/annoyed at being asked not to bring it in tbh.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Most fo the bike shops I have been in would get pretty chocker if everyone brought their bikes in with them.

It is a concept store and it is huge. And you would really think that people running a bike shop would appreciate the value of bikes and accommodate them in their shops (if space allows of course). On the other end of the scale, Phyclosport in Harrogate can barely fit a person in, never mind a bike – but he does have the facility for you to lock your bike outside if you wish.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I've taken my bike into Evans stores without noticing any raised eyebrows. Unless there was obviously a lack of space I'd take my business elsewhere if asked not to bring my bike in.

tron
    Free Member

It is a concept store and it is huge.

He'd obviously arrived on the wrong make of bike.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Quite often take my bike into shops. Normally don't walk round with it though just leave it inside where it can be seen. Clearly wouldn't be feasable in a big supermarket but tesco express yes. Never had a problem or been told not to

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Bikes and Supermarkets’ is closed to new replies.