Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Biker crash Ladybower last Friday…
  • Steve-P
    Free Member

I lead the Cutgate ride around Ladybower in the dark peaks last Friday.

On our return we saw an air ambulance in a field and another ambulance at the exit of the Haggs Farm descent. Thee crew were strapping a mountain biker to a board.

Anyone know who he was? How did he do it and is he okay?

Cheers S

will
    Free Member

Ow dear! Hope he was ok. Those are nasty (but also very fun) decents.

scruff
    Free Member

His name was Dave. We statyed with him a while till the fat ambulance woman told us to get the mountain rescue.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Steve-P
    Free Member

Did you see what happened? How did he lose it? And is Dave okay then?

S

scruff
    Free Member

He was riding in big clumpy timberland boots on flat pedals riding down the ‘easier’ rooty line on the verge, feet slipped and pedal went into his leg, or something like that. No eye deer how he is.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Crikey, I presume he must have done more damage than just scrape his shin then as I cant imagine getting an ambulance/air ambulance out for anything less than very serious!

scruff
    Free Member

Snakebite had a good look at it.

Drac

I cant imagine getting an ambulance/air ambulance out for anything less than very serious!

You have no idea.

Trekster

As Drca says. Unless you have experienced a stretcher carry/relay down a hill you would

m sure the majority of ambulance crews are not, just like our police.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

in my experience of aiding ambulance crews at chicksands, if the surface is even vaguely loose the paramedics are not allowed to carry a stretcher. they often call the fire service to help. the public are not permitted to assist either

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oh and a person on a stretcher is VERY heavy, used to attend mountain rescue practices and it’s very hard work

Drac

In my experience as a Paramedic we asses the situation if we think we need assistance then it may be from bystanders, Fire Service, another crew or air extraction. 😀

Steve-P
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright

Chicksands? Brilliant – that place is an accident waiting to happen – ride the red route there often as part of my loop from Bedford…. but as for all that north shore stuff…. crazy – accident waiting to happen.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ok, we just got told flat we weren’t allowed to help

when they took me out of cannock quarry they carried me with the help of bystanders up the side of a quarry to the helicopter

respect for that, definitely not an easy thing to do

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

steve p

you couldn’t be more wrong

in 6 years of riding there i have yet to see an injury requiring the emergency services on the north shore

the dirt jumps however regularly injure people

British Cycling won’t insure the shore but they will the dirt jumps

explain that

Steve-P
    Free Member

Alright don’t get upset…. Jumps and northshore… I need to find the XC section on this site… 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not upset atall

purely here to educate 🙂

Steve-P
    Free Member

Did you try the ‘secret’ northshore in Woburn?

It was impressive and even I had a go at it, with some great singletrack supporting it – unfortunately its been ripped down now – a shame as someone put a lot of effort into making it….

coffeeking
    Free Member

What I meant was I’d hope people wouldnt call an air ambulance out for something as small as a minor broken leg or a deep cut – I’d drag myself down a hill with my mouth before calling an ambulance, there are people with more pressing needs – not whether or not the ambulance crew should/would call for air support when they got there. It may sound a bit macho and “im a hero” but I genuinely believe the emergency services should be used only in serious cases and if you are physically capable of getting yourself to hospital, despite pain, you should. Obviously there comes a question of how do you know how serious something is etc, but I think the majority of the time people massively over-estimate the damage they’ve done and the danger they’re in anyway, so the risk is small.

Yes I’ve stretchered people a few times, though not down MTB trails, certainly around fields and woods in various forms of outdoor/first aid/team building training.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d drag myself down a hill with my mouth before calling an ambulance

Now that, I’d pay to watch!

Drac

Coffeking that’s a good attitude petty there wasn’t more like you then we’d have more vehicles available for those that need them.

ok, we just got told flat we weren’t allowed to help

I sometimes say that if the bystanders are proving to be more of nuisance than a help.

coffeeking
    Free Member

piedi 🙂 I hope never to have to oblige!

Seriously though, I’ve seen (and read in official reports) of some stupid wastes of emergency services time – mountain rescue teams called out for someone who was tired, air ambulance dispatched because someone sprained their ankle and found it too painful to limp/hop the mile back to the road – MTFU and leave them to attend people who’re drowning/fell off a cliff/had a heart attack!

Not suggesting this happened here, hope the person is OK, but also hope they deserved the attention 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

Coffeeking, the guy in question had been there for nearly an hour. The paramedics were treating him and the doctor with them said to call the air ambulance. We (scruff, me St) who had provided space blankets and our jackets etc, were sent to fairholmes to inform the ranger to call it in as the medics could not get a reception on their communication kit. To be fair, I had a good look when the tourniquet was removed and it was a bit messy, guys calf was hanging off with what looked like spaghetti hanging out of it……

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“I had a good look when the tourniquet was removed and it was a bit messy, guys calf was hanging off with what looked like spaghetti hanging out of it…… “

sounds nasty. He must have been freezing if he’d been laid on a cold ground surface for that long!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“I had a good look when the tourniquet was removed and it was a bit messy, guys calf was hanging off with what looked like spaghetti hanging out of it…… “

sounds nasty :-0 He must have been freezing if he’d been laid on a cold ground surface for that long!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ohh go on then, I’ll let him off 🙂

Thought tourniquets were out of fashion these days!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Biker crash Ladybower last Friday…’ is closed to new replies.