Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bikepacking(ish) – wildcamping locations near Aberdeen to take an 8-year old…
  • euain

Where else to come but STW for this…

Looking to take son out for a camping trip next weekend. He’s 8 and pretty comfortable on bike – Glenlivet blue with ease kind of level.

Looking for –
    * Somewhere we can cycle into (5-10 miles, not too rugged). I’ll have a Bob Yak so forestry/landrover tracks ideal.
    * 1-1.5h drive from Aberdeen(or a wee bit more would be OK, but don’t want to spend all day driving)
    * Scenery, water..

Stretch target – he’s mad keen on planes/second world war. It’s a bit ghoulish but somewhere with plane wreckage in the hills would be awesome.

No midgies – I wish!

Thinking up behind Linn of Dee – but any other suggestions very welcome.

scotroutes

Linn of Dee/Whitebridge/Glen Derry would be the obvious choices. Aviemore too far to drive? You could head up the Lairig Ghru a little, pitch up, then climb the shoulder of Braeriach where there are two crash sites very close

euain

Aviemore works too.. (I’ll get the OS out tonight). Thanks.

stumpy120
    Free Member

Glen Dye would be a decent spot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

loch muick or loch lee – theres wreckage on the hill behind loch lee.

cosmokramer
    Free Member

Another vote for Loch Lee here, you could cycle in from Tarfside carpark & back, beautiful area on a good day

euain

Some great ideas.. Loch Lee looks good. This: Crashed Wellington seems to be crashed plane.

Also some lunchtime googling finds this: Canberra above Glen Callater. That seems a lot of plane to take him to see. Anyone explored around there?

Seems you could spend weeks finding crashed planes in the hills.

Fingers crossed for the weather!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive ridden right past that canberra.

ill tell you now – you wont enjoy getting to it with a bob yak or 8 year old in tow.

euain

I was thinking bikes and trailer might be stashed trailside by that point and we’d wonder up the hill on foot :).

I’m getting excited now – should be a great trip.

euain

Loch Lee it was – what an awesome trip :).

In retrospect, we should probably have camped at the level of the loch and not tried to get bikes/trailer up the hill but it was great fun and made the walk up to Muckle Cairn a bit shorter the next day. Even the weather played along.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking(ish) – wildcamping locations near Aberdeen to take an 8-year old…’ is closed to new replies.