Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bikepacking – which stove?
  • luddite
    Free Member

Looking to get a new stove, have been using a cheap highlander hpx300 stove which has been fine but smaller pots don’t fit or are poorly supported.
    Any fuel considered.
    Don’t want burner on top of gas bottle.
    The less cash the better.

Cheers for your input.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bearbones stuff looks good

muddyground
    Free Member

just make your own from a few old coke cans – search on-line for beer can stove….. Takes about 5 min.s to make one. Best with some form of pan support and windbreak. Oddly addictive to make, but also oddly sad to make.

scotroutes

FWIW I don’t have any issues with a canister-mounted burner. I actually use an Optimus Crux. It folds flat enough to fit in the concave base of a 250g canister and is really quick, efficient and clean.

organic355
    Free Member

Don’t want burner on top of gas bottle.

rules out the awesome Jetboil then?

Ive got one of those and also a MSR Dragonfly, which is also very packable, but can be a pain to prime it (singed eyebrows)

MSP

jetboil is quite a big heavy thing.

Canister mounted is the way to go, or one of those home made things, the lighter your kit, the more enjoyable the riding, which is pretty much the whole point of bikepacking. Like scoroutes I use an Optimus Crux.

yorlin
    Free Member

I have one of these… Pocket Stove titanium which is super light! You burn sticks, or those esbit tablets. You can fit a wee meth burner in there as well.

Edit – there’s a steel version which is cheaper. The whole thing folds almost completely flat!

organic355
    Free Member

jetboil heavy? I dont remember it being heavy, but have only every been (walking) camping, not bike camping.

steezysix
    Free Member

Jetboil isn’t that heavy, the heat exchanger adds a bit of weight compared to stove + pot, but it also acts as a windshield and massively reduces the time it takes to boil water. It’s a great stove for boil in the bag meals and stuff like noodles, less so if you want to do fancy cooking.

vorlich
    Free Member

DIY coke can stove with Caldera CLone. PDF plans are available online:

link

Great design has windshield inbuilt, mine cost about £6, is pretty battered several years on, but still in use.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not that the jetboil is heavy, it’s more that it’s a big cumbersome bugger and only good for boiling water, not cooking.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

bearbones stuff looks good

Weighs 8g and is tough enough to stand on (if you felt the need). Intended for boiling just enough water to brew up or rehydrate a meal.

Weighs 22g. Intended for larger pots and more water.

Weighs 48g. Remote feed, so you can keep it running for as long as you have fuel.

jameso

I’d go for one of those ^ or a free diy coke-can stove version. 50-100ml of meths per day. Anything else is proper camping not bikepacking )
    My coke-can stove has lasted ~30 days/nights of use so far, looks a bit tired and dented but if needed you can make a new one mid-trip once you know how. I eat out of a 600ml mug on trips so it’s light but hardly classy cooking.

ratherbeintobago

Hexy stove?

mugsys_m8

If you want to cook on it, rather than boil water, then in my opinion you’re best off forgetting about limiting to not on top of canister mdles and get a MSR Pocket Rocket.

boblo
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking – which stove?’ is closed to new replies.