Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Bikepacking – Tent vs Hammock
  • gs_triumph

Good afternoon good people of STW

This year I am going to give bikepacking a bash. Thought about it for a couple of years now but none of my mates fancy it so I’ve kept putting it off. Decided I’m going to give it a go solo this year.

Thought about the John Muir Way as a first trip – probably with two overnights.

I’ve got a pair of ortlieb back rollers, a pair of their gravel panniers and their 9l front bar bag. Was hoping to be able to just run the gravel panniers on the rear rack along with the handlebar pack on the front.

Then I have to decide on either a tent or a hammock. I am intrigued by the hammock set up. Seems to make a lot of sense for solo camping however I am aware that it requires trees and that scotland is not quite as tree covered as one thinks it is. And coniferous plantations don’t seem to be the best kind of trees with dense low branches.
    However tent wild camping requires finding flat ground, preferably out of sight, where the land owner or locals won’t take umbridge to your presense. I guess campsites also become useable if taking a tent.

Does anyone have any wisdom to help weigh up the pros and cons?
    Most hammock bikepacking info seems to be very US-centric. Maybe it’s just not that practical in the UK?

tjagain

Trying to rely on a hammock in Scotland would be very limiting IMO  You can however wild camp almost anywhere so long as you obey the access code.  Its rare anyone takes umbrage although it might be harder in the central belt.  wild camping in the central belt you will have to also think about water as you cannot really drink from rivers and burns

supernova

A tent is much more practical, warmer, more midge proof, more comfortable and dryer than a hammock. Does weigh a more though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hellothisistom

I’ve bikepacked with both plenty… Never hammocked in the uk though.

I would say a tent is better in almost all regards. Once you include a rainsheet, mosquito net, ropes /straps for a hammock, they end up weighing more or less the same as a tent. I guess poles can be a bit bulky to pack though.

Tent is warmer, drier, mostly comifer and way more flexible where you pitch, you can set up om top of a hill so you can watch the sunrise from your tent..
    Or you could try a bivy bag or bivi /tent cross to be lighter https://alpkit.com/products/elan

martinhutch

And although a tent is heavier, you’ll still need an additional tarp to keep you dry in Scotland. Plus a bug net, so the difference isn’t probably as big as you think.

Decent hammocks seem be at least 500g, possibly more with the suspension buckles and stuff, a full ultralight tent can be had at under 900g.

scotroutes

Temperatures mean you’ll likely want an underquilt to go with that hammock, and if it’s likely to rain then you’ll want a tarp over it too.

Far too restrictive in my view, and I have the Cairngorms National Park as my local playground. As soon as the midge appear you’ll be looking for a decent breeze, thereby also ruling out many forested areas.

Of course, for ultimate flexibility I’d recommend a bivvy bag and tarp…

stevious

Another vote for tent or bivy/tarp combo here. I think bivy/tarp is more versatile than tent as well as being a bit more stealthy. You can even use your bike instead of poles for the tarp (I prefer to take a single short pole with mine for ease of pitching). Obviously you need to pitch with midges in mind if you’re going this route.

HOWEVER the best advice is to just take whatever you have packed in the most efficient way you can. If that means taking a heavy tent and a rucksack then just do it. The golden rule is that actually going bikepacking is more rewarding than sitting around thinking about bikepacking kit.

pb2

A tent is only heavier in theory, theres a good choice of solo tents circa 1kg, a good hammock like a DD superlight weighs over 1.5kg and thats before you take into account a tarp cover and the need for two air mattresses when its cold, one under your sleeping bag and one under the hammock.

I really enjoy hammocking on shortish social bikepacking rides but thats there only use from my perspective.Big UK trips its always a light weight solo tent and trips to warmer countries its an Outdoor Research Helium bivvy bag.

dyna-ti

Tent – Camp anywhere

Hammock – Bugger, theres no trees.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I bike packed the John Muir Way in August 21 with my wife. We used a tent and spent the first night in a campsite just up the road from the Falkirk Wheel and the 2nd night at Drummohr campsite near Prestonpans.

I’ll try to post a pic of my set up, but if it doesn’t work then I had 2 bar bags (one with tent, one with sleeping bag), frame bag, saddle bag and two top tube bags.

Tent was 2 person but with large porch I could fit the bikes into. In all honesty, we could have used panniers, just wanted to test the bikepacking gear I had bought.

No place in my mind would have been suitable for hammock, even wild camping would be a push considering how populated it is along the route.

We parked car in Dunbar then got trains through to Helensburgh with the bikes.

bike

matt_outandabout

Hammock – Bugger, theres no trees.

Or the wrong spacing.
    Or too small.
    (etc).

Perhaps I am no used and skilled at finding tent spots, but it has never phased me particularly as soon as you are rural or upland…

gs_triumph

Thank you very much all.

It sounds very much like the hammock isn’t the good idea I thought it might be.

Any suggestions for a lightweight tent without breaking the bank? No point in splurging hundreds to find out I don’t enjoy it. I was looking at a DD hammock package for £185 so around that price I guess.

tractionman

I had my eye on this, gets good reviews, but apparently I already have too many tents!!

https://amzn.eu/d/1j7z7Zm

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have an OEX Phoxx 1 because it was less than £50 from Go Outdoors. Seems well made but you might want a bit more space, not used it in anger yet.

tractionman

I have an OEX Phoxx 1

I have two of these (one for me and one for my son) and have used it happily enough, it is certainly small and lightweight, the downsides though are the many pegs needed to set it up (so adding to weight) and most of all the very limited headroom, it’s ok for sleeping in but just that, same with other such ‘coffin tents’ I imagine.

That’s why I was looking for something like the Grand Canyon CARDOVA 1 Tunnel Tent (I linked to above), with more headroom so it is possible to sit up in it!

smogmonster

I did try a hammock a few years back – it seemed a great idea until I realised I sleep on my front…always. Trying to sleep on my back in the hammock whilst not falling out proved to me they are a terrible idea and I went straight back to my tent (Alpkit Soloist – 1kg) and/or bivi Outdoor Research Helium (500g or so) for all other trips.
    Bikepacking a great btw!

nedrapier

I’ve hammocked a fair bit in England, Wales, Finland and Norway. I’ve got quite a fancy Exped hammock which suspends me at 45degrees to the trees, so I lie fairly flat and means I can sleep on my side too.

Never had an issue with finding spots on the trips I’ve done. I’ve always checked likely spots in advance, never been out on a big long trip when I don’t know how far I’ll get each day and where I’ll stop/drop with the potential of being caught 20 miles from trees. You can also sling round spikes or in cracks in rock gullies too.

Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain finding the right two trees, and sometimes it means you’re hidden under cover rather than out on the tops under the stars with big sky views. I’ve got a bivvy bag too and would happily swap if the trip swayed the balance that way, but I haven’t needed to yet with the trips I’ve done.

butcher

Another vote for tent. I’ve not used a hammock, I’ve bivied a bit, and quite happy doing so, but it’s nowhere near as comfortable as a tent. Unless you find somewhere really sheltered, or it’s a very warm night, even the mildest breeze can be annoying and also make it quite cold. Makes it more difficult to get changed out of clothes and stuff too. Tent is luxury in comparison. And that’s without even getting to the issues with finding a good sport for a hammock and tarp. It can be an issue finding spots to pitch a tent and I don’t know the John Muir Way but you can always find somewhere, and generally Scotland’s pretty good.

Weight isn’t a huge issue but a tent with a small pack size makes a huge difference.

Also, as a great as wild camping is, a campsite is super luxury with a warm shower at the end of the night, and if spots are limited, sometimes that is the best option.

gs_triumph

Seem to be plenty tents around for the money. Last tent I bought was for car camping and bought on the basis that however many people it was for, you needed two extra berths in tent language. Eg. 4 people camping means a 6 person tent. However weight wasn’t even a consideration. It was all about comfort.

Does everyone feel a one person tent is big enough or is it worth going two person if you can keep the weight down?

For example the Alpkit Ordos Two is 1.4kg.

scotroutes

Personal choice. For sure, some of the one man tents are tiny and often an awkward shape. I have a Lunar Solo and a Scarp 1 and find both easily large enough (the Scarp especially so). Porch size and shape is crucial as you ideally want somewhere to stash wet kit.

hellothisistom

I think size depends on how long you’ll be out for. I’ve got a 2 person msr hubba hubba that is <2kg that I camped in for 9 months or so on a round the world tour. That was perfect for that, big enough to sit up in, enough room to put everything inside, and to keep some of bike out the train in the porch.
    + now I can use the same tent for overnight trips with my partner.
    I always thought the extra couple hundred grams of a 2 person is less than a full water bottle, which I have never noticed the weight of carrying on my bike before!

damascus
    Free Member

Does everyone feel a one person tent is big enough or is it worth going two person if you can keep the weight down?

Everything is a compromise unless you spend a fortune.

The way I see it is it depends how long the trip is. If its a short trip then I’ll compromise more. If its a long trip less so.

As above, on my tour across africa I took a 2 man vango tent with a large porch, I’m sure it weighed around 2.2kg but when you think just how much weight I was carrying it didn’t make that much difference. Water made it pretty much irrelevant.

The Lanshan 2 (or similar brands) isn’t that much heavier than a 1 but you need an extra walking pole. If your walking you might have 2 poles but not if your riding.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374135756488?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ni9lueewrkw&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XQz0tf3FQJC&var=643281520897&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

matt_outandabout

Everything is a compromise unless you spend a fortune.

^ this.

I spent £80 on a Robens Arch 2 in the Wiggle sale last year. It pitches solidly and feels very secure, spacious enough for two of us, and well made, plus has a proper porch for kit and decent enough vents. However, it weighs 2.1kg on my scales…

My (on its last legs) Alpkit Delta barely has any porch, is very prone to leaking in any wind, needs shelter for a good nights sleep and is delicate / tears easily and was stitched wrong from the factory. It is however 940g and has a very amusing care label which warns of smelly socks, magnets and low flying whales…

Both are a significant comprimise.

MrSparkle

and the need for two air mattresses when its cold, one under your sleeping bag and one under the hammock.

Eh?

nedrapier

and has a very amusing care label which warns of smelly socks, magnets and low flying whales…

My first camping hammock had one which read:
    – No flames or sharp objects near the pod.
    – Wash when dirty.
    – Dry when wet.
    – Don’t take sweeties from strangers.

Marin
    Free Member

Hammock for a beach with a nice drink with a tiny umbrella in. Tents are just easier.

scotroutes

Hammock also for the Instagram likes.

matt_outandabout

Hammock for a beach with a nice drink with a tiny umbrella in.

I’m not aware of *that* many UK beaches with trees on?

tjagain

all camping is a compromise no matter how much you spend.  I have 3 tents depending which compromise I need for which trip.

I have a tiny light one.  Best for backpacking / bike packing for short trips as its the lightest.  Too cramped for long trips.  I have a bigger superlight tent – best for longer trips
    I have a more robust tent – best for bad weather

shermer75
    Free Member

Hammocks are a bit niche, not everyone gets on with them.

Tents are the best all rounder, but can be expensive for a good lightweight one.

Tarp + bivvy bag is a great way to travel light without spending much money, but they can’t withstand poor weather like a tent can

tjagain

Tarp plus bivvy bag is no lighter than a superlight tent – or not significantly so  My lightest tent is under a kilo all in.

IMo a bivvy  main advantage is stealth and not being enclosed

MadBillMcMad

The bivvy option will be the cheapest but time of year (midges) and weather forecast dependant. Alpkit do a decent plain tarp that is great with the wheels at one or each end.

You could just go bivvy bag, again a bit weather and midge dependant. Again alpkit do one, the hunka XL. I’ve actually sown a midge net to mine.

My tent is a terra nova laser compact 1 man tent. <1kg, but £££ they do a few variations. Great tent. Could just about squeeze 2 very friendly people at a real push.

Get a good mat. Only get a pure air one for summer only. I like exped.

Marin
    Free Member

You need to big up your trips Matt😁

scotroutes

Yeah, my lightest bivvy bag is only 185g but not waterproof. For that I have to take the 480g one. Add on 200g for tarp, pole and pegs and you’re at the weight of my Lunar Solo. (I do have a smaller/lighter tarp too).

It’s the flexibility and the experience that makes the bivvy/tarp option “better”.

tjagain

the bivvy/tarp option “better”.

Until the midges arrive!

gs_triumph

@dufresneorama

How did you find the terain? Looks very uphill the first 30 or so miles then gentle thereafter?

I wasn’t planning to go as far as Falkirk in the first day. Thinking somewhere around Kirkintilloch for a first stop.

gs_triumph

@nedrapier I’m thinking first outing will be tent now however your hammock experience makes me think its an itch I will need to scratch at some point.

I think the nerdy side of me really feels a pull towards the hammock.

gs_triumph

The bivvy doesn’t appeal to me at all. It feels like the worst of all worlds but i can see that it has a place for the ultimate in lightweight, low impact accommodation.

stevious

The bivvy doesn’t appeal to me at all. It feels like the worst of all worlds but i can see that it has a place for the ultimate in lightweight, low impact accommodation.

To be honest if I had a light enough tent and/or enough adventure time to justify one I’d probably favour one over a bivy as well.

butcher

The thing with a bivvy is that it packs up to next to nothing and you can sleep pretty much anywhere. It’s convenient. Can be pleasant enough if you find the right spot in the right weather, but it’s generally not the most comfortable night’s sleep. Tent is like a 5 star hotel in comparison.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.