• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by ben.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bikepacking Tent For A Tall Chap
  • andykirk
    Free Member

I am 6ft3 and looking at getting a lightweight tent (sub 1.1kg) for bikepacking. I currently have an MSR tent that is 213cm length and find it a bit short – my feet touch the end which I don’t like. I was looking at the Six Moons Lunar Solo but having looked at reviews it would seem whilst spacious this is not really suited to tall people. Some of the Big Agnes tents appear to be a bit longer than your regular tent but I wonder if these are suitable for grim Scottish weather?

Any help appreciated.

breninbeener

Get thee over to BearBones website. There is a ton of info and a super helpful forum too!

MSP

I am the same size, and find its not just about the footprint its the way the walls come down towards the end. The tarptent scarp 1 is the only lightweight tent I have felt comfortable in, its internal length is 218cm, but it is 1.5kg but it is a roomy 1 man tent, you could even get 2 in it at a pinch. IMO I would choose that 400g for comfort in the tent every time, the reality is that us tallish folks are never going to achieve the super lightweights available to those too lazy to grow to a proper height, and we have to make sensible compromises in some kit choices for comfort.

damascus
    Free Member

What msp said. I’m 6ft3 and I just accept that my feet sometimes touch the tent. Your going to have to spend big to get a tent that fits and is 1.1kg

What’s your budget?

benp1

Also 6’3 and do a fair bit of bikepacking. Lunar Solo really isn’t big enough once you’re on a proper mat and warm bag

For bikepacking I use a a bivi bag only, flat tarp, shaped tarp (e.g. Trailstar clone), or a Scarp 1 tent. They all fit me fine. The light, compact single skin shelters are all too small. Apart from something like the Tarptent Aeon Li, but then you need very deep pockets

matt_outandabout

I’ve an old Alpkit Delta which is 125cm long inside with vertical ends, at 6′ I’ve never touched the ends. It’s 900g.

It can be done – just which model currently I don’t know.

Might it be worth approaching a custom tent manufacturers such as Trekker?
    http://www.trekkertent.com/home/16-products

robertpb
    Free Member

One of these is 235cm looks roomy for 1. Vaude Hogan SUL 1-2P

dyna-ti

I’m about to put a new snugpac journey up onto ebay/RB although It might be a tad too heavy for you.
    I picked that based on length, also 6’3″, but I’ve changed my mind as its TOO bivvy, and just too low.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m just a smidge under 6’ and find the Lunar Solo can be tight length wise when there’s condensation about. A 7cm mat and winter bag avoiding contacting the fly is nigh impossible on occasion. The lifters do help mind. At 6’3” I’d say no chance. And I am an LS fanboi it’s my first choice most of the time.

My ‘proper’ tent is a Force 10 Helium 200 (don’t bother even thinking about the 1 man). It has small poles either end which works well (like the scarp but singles). I think it’s called the vango F10 UL2 now and comes in about 1.25-1.3 kg iirc. Part of the reasoning on the old tent (ie mine) is that it was a balance of material longevity over minimum weight (bathtub supposed to be more durable hence heavier). Might be sales bullshit but I got an end of season bargain (Backcountry Scot). The only complaints I have about it are 1) there’s an internal tension guy that hits my ocd and b) the view out is shit compared to the LS. I remember a windy night out Strath Connon where Scotroutes was literally holding on to his LS when I had a peg pull out the end once (a longer peg sorted that out) otherwise pretty much untroubled.

I recently sold my MSR Hubba Hubba NX as it wasn’t getting any use…

damascus
    Free Member

@Andykirk

Would this work?

Have any tall people used this?

You can always just pitch the outer tent and use the footprint

Soloist

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies/ info.

Having done some more research ‘Tarptent’ seem to keep coming up as having some of the better options for tall people. So maybe a Scarp or a Rainbow would do… they seem to sell out very quickly when they appear in stock though!

Does a solid fabric interior really make that much difference over a mesh one when it gets cold? I suppose in such cases it makes a difference how close the fly comes down to the ground….?

damascus
    Free Member

Ventilation is key to stop condensation but difficult in a coffin tent.

stevemakin

Take a look at the Nigor Pio Pio, at 6.4 I find it fits me fine

matt_outandabout

Does a solid fabric interior really make that much difference over a mesh one when it gets cold?

In either windy and damp or getting to zero or lower, yes in my experience.

sweepy
    Free Member

I hesitated to recommend the Hilleberg enan because its stupid expensive but you seem to be looking at some high end stuff so- Hilleberg enan, I’m 6’3 and it fits me.

Oblongbob

6’3 and the vaude power lizard SUL 1-2 is brilliant for me. Plenty long, 1kg, roomier than most 1 man tents. Poles are short for going in my frame bag. Think it’s 225 internal length. Was in it last night and no problem touching ends. I’d recommend. Got mine in a good deal on wiggle.

EdwardH

I am 6’3″ and use a Nordisk telemark 2 which fits me fine. Its 220cm long, the only issue I have is if I dont tension the foot end properly, where it tends to sag if too loose.

Oh and its also 900g.

ben
    Free Member

I had the first outing this weekend with my new Nemo Hornet 2p, and was surprised by how much room it had, easily long enough for you.

Worth looking at the Hornet 1p, if it’s a long as the 2p.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking Tent For A Tall Chap’ is closed to new replies.