• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bikepacking or Touring?
  • RustySpanner

A very interesting article by Tom Allen:

https://tomsbiketrip.com

FWIW, I just like bikes and travel – it’s all good and the new, cheap, decent bikepacking gear that’s appearing everywhere opens up loads of new options.

It’s all good.

Love the fact that touring/bike packing bikes are in vogue again – call them what you want (apart from g****l bikes, obviously, that’s just silly) they make great all-rounders, just pick the features that appeal – personally, I like the option to pack the kitchen sink, big tyres and a long wheelbase so my Disc Trucker is perfect for me.  Whatever floats yer boat, there’s an all-rounder that’ll fit your requirements.

Brilliant, innit?

Long article but well worth reading. Some good stuff from people I respect in the comments section too.

Your thoughts?

ton

it is all touring Pete.

onroad offroad mixed road.

all good

trail_rat
    Free Member

I toured north west Canada. That was I had 4 panniers and all mod cons. Could have kept going indefinantly till the monies run out.

Last weekend I bike packed the Cairngorms.

That was I had a bivvy a sleeping bag and was prepared for a narrow band of conditions over a short period of time moving fast and light.

That’s where I split the definitions on a personal level.

But your right it’s all bike riding but it does make me chuckle when I see folk trying to get 4 panniers worth of stuff into bikepacking bags.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

I think that’s not a bad definition trail-rat.

For me, I’d take a bike packing approach for off road and more techy trails but a touring style for road / very easy off road.

But like ton says, it’s all touring. The last thing we need is more divisions to argue over!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking or Touring?’ is closed to new replies.