Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • bikepacking kit Q (sleeping bag options)
  • turneround

my mate an i are having a crack at the NC500 in april. Just looking at sleeping options. what do folk think on a lightweight bag + a lightweight down jkt over a warmer / bigger bag. Planning on getting it done in 3 days so only bivv’in for 2 nights and trying to go as light at poss. any help gratefully received.

Nick

I did one of the Barebones January rides (Mach n Back) with an Alpkit Hunka XL, and Alpkit PD400 and an Alpkit Filo Jacket. It was -5 out in the open, but by sheltering in the trees I was pretty warm, I had a handwarmer with me which helped. Doing Welsh Ride Thing end of April, wont bother with the Jacket.

turneround

ta

scotroutes

Si- you know what it’s like. It could be 20C on the West Coast in April, or it could be -10C. 🙂

NZCol

I lashed out on a PHD one http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-ultra-down-sleeping-bag-k-series

It replaced a macpac down liner bag with a pertex cover which was ace but getting a bit munted. The PHD one is smaller and way warmer, i’ve used it in the minuses with a thin down jacket and a hat and been comfy. Its not cheap but so far it has exceeded expectations.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rab Endurance Neutrino 200 that I’ve used in December and January in the Highlands.

Needed to put on a fleece to be comfortable but it’s a two season bag only rated to 1.5 deg C….

Packs down reasonably small as well (being down)

Cheezpleez

Down jacket and bag is a good combo. You need something to be warm in post ride and pre sleeping.

turneround

Cheers guys, I’ve actually got mountain Hardwear spectre SL bag I use for winter back packing trips, it can be too warm though. You’re right Mr routes, can be +/-20 up here….
    The rig was finished yesterday and she is having her maiden off road trip this weekend to try out the woodchippers…

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Surely you need a double bag to fit you and your mate?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Simon I got a Marmot Never Winter from Craigdon at the end of the summer. I haven’t tried it in anger but reckon it’s a perfect bag for Highland bikepacking. Loads of room for me so a shortarse like you would be fine.

boblo
    Free Member

The PHD Minim’s are in their bargain box ATM. A bit under £200.

NZCol

Definitely have a down jacket as well, and nice warm tights and a couple of big sandwich bags to keep your feet dry in your new socks at night as you wander around in your shoes

whitestone
    Free Member

As mentioned, where you bivy can have a big effect on how warm/cold things can get at night. Under cover, out of the wind and away from still water will generally be warmer.

A good sleeping mat/pad will improve the apparent rating of your bag.

Wearing a jacket inside your sleeping bag can be counter-productive as both bag and jacket work by trapping air so you could end up compressing both so they don’t trap as much air.

As ever, you get mostly what you pay for, PHD kit is top quality (and price) but companies like Cumulus also do good stuff – their bags are distributed as Criterion in the UK. Alpkit is fine as a budget option. Put a similarly rated bag from the three together and the differences are obvious. I’ve down kit from all three BTW, I’ll get Alpkit for the infrequently used stuff and either of PHD or Cumulus for those items where I want/need the best.

Sanny
    Free Member

Assume it will pish down and pack accordingly. There is little as difficult as being piss wet through and trying to get into your sleeping and bivvy bag without soaking it. 😆

turneround

cheers all…swayndo, what do you mean shortarse, im 5ft 7 in Wales that makes me a giant….

double bag, my mate still hasnt go back to me on that one….

cheers all…good food for thought

whitestone
    Free Member

@turneround – some manufacturers like PHD let you specify a “short” bag, worth it as you (as the heat source) don’t have to warm the extra volume of a normal bag.

NZCol

Agree on location and shelter type. I was very happy using bivi bags and tarps when i lived in NZ, now in Scotland and have reverted to a tiny tent (MSR Carbon Reflex) – keeps midges out and also rain and wind, safer for me. Investing in good kit if you are going to use it makes life much more pleasant – noeair type sleeping mats, good bag and light tasty food always make a nice end to the day. Small plastic bottle of quality malt is the most essential piece of kit…

turneround

oh forgot to add, my mate has given me his terra nova Jupiter bivi on long term loan…so may use that. Also, may invest in a good sleeping pad though, the ol alpkit base camp model is a wee bit big for this adventure.. not one of those klymit inertia ones as i can believe they are actually comfy (especially for a wriggler like me)

turneround

oh forgot to add, my mate has given me his terra nova Jupiter bivi on long term loan…so may use that. Also, may invest in a good sleeping pad though, the ol alpkit base camp model is a wee bit big for this adventure.. not one of those klymit inertia ones as i can believe they are actually comfy (especially for a wriggler like me)

whitestone
    Free Member

Two more worlds of confusion 😆

Bivy bag: do you want to have your sleeping mat inside or outside the bag? If inside then you’ll need a bag with greater “girth” like the Alpkit Hunka XL. Confusingly and annoyingly some manufacturers quote “width” and some “girth” but in this context girth = 2 x width. If you prefer the sleeping mat outside then any standard sized bivy bag will do. Scotland could mean midges so a panel of midge net might be useful but then the bag isn’t completely water resistant so you’d need a tarp to keep any rain off.

Sleeping mats: I’ve a Klymit X-Frame, fine if you want to go light and fast but it’s no insulation, it’s effectively a very fancy Lilo. Mats like the Exped Synmat series or the NeoAir have insulation and aren’t that much heavier. My Synmat Winterlite is 400g vs 270g for the Klymit. Look for a high R-value if you go for an insulated mat, 6 is good enough for a proper winter mat.

turneround

😉

charliew

If you’re going really light then use bubble wrap for your sleeping mat.

And some more information on down if you’re looking at buying a new bag:
    https://gearandmountains.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/get-down-on-it/
    Fill power is no super power

tjagain

NZ col – plastic bottle of malt – wash your mouth out! the plastic will flavour the malt. Sigg bottle for your whisky!

turneround

cheers…think a mat upgrade is on the cards, liking the weight/size/r value of the Exped Synmat winter….anyone god a 2nd hand one for sale 😉

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve got a paramo Torres top and trousers.

Never tried bivvying in them, but I hear that it can be done. Might save you having to carry a sleeping bag as well.

‘Paramo seconds’ , etc on eBay have these on promotion now and again.

kormoran
    Free Member

Been using an Neoair Extherm for the past few years, unbelievably warm, light and compact. I have the smallest one, next one will be a size up I think. They are pretty robust but I have punctured it and the dog ripped a tear once. Very easy to repair though. Easily done 200 plus nights on.

turneround

just bagged a neoair off here so will go with that. also just had the NF down bag arrive, again from here. god to -2 so should be ok with a jkt in reserve. Thanks all…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘bikepacking kit Q (sleeping bag options)’ is closed to new replies.