• This topic has 47 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Bikepacking and droppers….
  • iainc

New HT has a Stealth Reverb, so no longer a simple case of removing the external one and popping in a fixed post for the trip. I use a Revelate Pika seat pack and the Tangle frame one.

Any clever solutions for protecting dropper from the bag straps ? Not fussed about being able to operate it, just don’t want to damage it…

jam-bo

Pipe cladding? Someone does a dropper compatible seatpack. Porcelain rocket maybe?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Connectamajig means it’s a 5 minute, no bleed, job to whip the reverb off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve always just used some tape on my stancion and fitted bag as normal.

My bag doesn’t wobble so doesn’t rub the tape away. Your milage may vary dependant on pack and packing of said pack

jimdubleyou

Enduro collar + a synthetic chamois cloth.

Bag can get a grip & doesn’t wobble too much.

swanny853

link here, never got flickr images to work on mobile

This is the only picture I have of it in use, I think.

I borrowed some time on a 3d printer to make a sleeve. Enduro collar at the top to stop it sliding. The sleeve is in two halves, clamp around the post from either side then zip ties in the grooves to hold it together. The portion roughly between the top ties clamps the post, the lower section has a large enough ID to clear the seatpoat collar.

Lets you use a decent amount of the post travel and is fairly quick to fit. Does need extra velcro to extend the bag straps though.

Mark 2 was supposed to have bolts to do away with the need for the enduro collar and let you move the whole thing up a bit for more travel but I’ve yet to get round to making it

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I wrapped an old inner tube round mine, in the same sort of style you might do on a chainstay.

iainc

Someone good ideas, thanks. I did wonder about just disconnecting with the connectamajig thing – I know nothing about it yet, though read somewhere you can do it a few times without a bleed ? Will do some research.

Like the inner tube idea, maybe with the enduro collar on first to keep it all in one place.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape? The soft stuff you can get should keep the dropper surface protected from the straps if you are not bothered about actually dropping it.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Could you not cut down an old light weight seatpost and attach it to seatrails behind reverb clamp and then attach bag to the stump of this and still be able to use dropper?Of course this depends on what clearances you have etc….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Postie rich patented that approach 😉

P20

I forgot to pack the rigid posts for our trip to Scotland. We wrapped the posts in cloth. Unfortunately the top seal on my post got damaged so I’ve had to replace it.

thenorthwind

I reckon tape is the best way to go if you’re wrapping something round the post. Gorilla tape for abrasion resistance with a layer of electrical tape under for easy removal is the way I’d go.

Personally, there’s no way I’d use inner tube, pipe lagging or anything else that’s going to potentially allow mud in. It’ll just get trapped and quickly grind away at the post.

postierich
    Free Member

Seat post works well obviously you cannot use the dropper it was a quick fix for me as I was mixing it up bike packing and riding trails unloaded during the week it was an old USE seat post so was a one bolt fitting really easy to put on and take off
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rn1kaa]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

ianpv
    Free Member

I just don’t use the seat pack and take less stuff.

whitestone
    Free Member

Wolftooth Valais 25 Limits the travel by, hmm, 25mm but then if you’ve a seat pack you don’t want to drop the seat too far otherwise the bag will foul the wheel.

iainc

I just don’t use the seat pack and take less stuff.

This is an option I may well take. Usually it’s a few nights away, but in BnB accommodation, so reckon my Evoc 20l bag and the framebag will suffice..

scotroutes

Andy at backcountry.scot uses one of the Porcelain Rocket seatpacks.

it’s a few nights away, but in BnB accommodation,

Did you mean “touring” then? Why not go the whole hog and fit some panniers? That way could take your dressing gown and slippers.

iainc

Hohoho Colin 😀

You know what I mean though ! , and that great wee trail after Forest Lodge is too narrow for panniers …

Think I’ll lighten down next Spring and not attempt to carry MBLA Level kit…. 🙂

ianpv
    Free Member

This is an option I may well take. Usually it’s a few nights away, but in BnB accommodation, so reckon my Evoc 20l bag and the framebag will suffice..

Yep – should be fine? I had a similar set up for the HT550 (but with a bar roll) and had a tent, sleeping bag and mat too. I’ve got a little clip on seat pack that doesn’t get near post, too. That said, Whitestone now has this frame and the new one has no space for a frame pack, so may try the valais thing he links above next year, with maybe an ortlieb saddle bag, but not a full on seat pack.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UtCWfD]Untitled[/url] by Soph and Ian, on Flickr

iainc

Liking that setup, though may go lighter without bar bag as no camping kit

benp1

I’ve used a Revelate viscacha with my reverb

Worked with a bit of chamois and also with some pipe lagging. Dropper still worked, though only by about an inch

Haven’t used it in a while, need to refit it really

iainc

Am thinking black tape, then a chamois would be pretty decent protection to the post…

whitestone
    Free Member

@ianpv – I thought you were using a backpack with that setup on the HT550? Seem to remember you having one when we met at Drumbeg.

iainc

^^^^^ I think he was, as he was answering my thought about using my 20l Evoc backpack :

ianpv – Member

Yep – should be fine? I had a similar set up for the HT550 (but with a bar roll)

scotroutes

There’s also this

Valais 25

Though it’s not really tall enough for most larger seatpacks. Would work fine with a 3L Ortlieb for instance.

whitestone
    Free Member

I linked to the Valais earlier in the thread Colin 😉

The Wildcat seat harnesses have something like a 50-60mm wide seatpost strap so that would need modifying. The bigger problem is with the harness having a soft body – there’s no way to prevent the rest of the nose of the harness pushing against the post. There needs to be something more solid in there or a different shape.

Neil Beltchenko used a Bedrock Bags Black Dragon with the Valais and a Thompson dropper post – see here

scotroutes

Whoops

I wonder if it would work using two Valais and a bag that uses two narrower straps? That new Lomo seat pack also has a stiffened front that might prevent sag onto the seat post

iainc

The more I think about this, the more it appeals to have the pack suspended in a way that allows some use of the dropper. When I swopped out to a fixed post last Cairngorm trip I missed it on a few occasions…

I am currently thinking that I’d be better taking less kit, keeping post clear, using backpack and framebag.

scotroutes

In that case the Wolftooth Valais would be a good option. I’d still want some sort of “hard stop” otherwise you run the risk of the seatpack hitting the tyre (I also assume this is on a hardtail). The Valais is designed to do tbis without affecting the seals on the dropper post.

whitestone
    Free Member

I did some reading on this at the weekend. For the Spearfish (or any other bike with rear suspension) you need to remove all air from the shock and drop the seat to figure out what gap you have between seat and tyre.

I wonder if you could fix some sort of plate to the Valais so that the nose of the bag/harness pushes against that rather than the post.

iainc

Have ordered a Valais one for HT. My Revelate Pika will be too deep for it but will have a look at a smaller pack as a compromise 0 is the Ortlieb 3l one mentioned above decent ?

benp1

For a couple of recent trips I’ve wanted my weight off the bars, so used a rucksack, half frame bag (with bottles in bottle cages) and a seatpack

My seatpack holds my sleep kit, it wouldn’t fit in a framebag very well, it’s too bulky. My only option would be to lob it back on my bars, or take a bigger rucksack and carry it on my back. I could use the whole frame but putting water in there seems like a good, efficient use of the space

scotroutes

is the Ortlieb 3l one mentioned above decent ?

It’s Ortlieb. It’ll withstand the zombie apocalypse and filled with sand would make an ideal weapon.

Sanny
    Free Member

Arkel seatpacker for the win. I have one on test. Very impressed. No wag whatsoever and designed for droplets. You are welcome to try it! 😀

iainc

sanny – that would be handy. The Valias should turn up next week I guess, so will give you a shout when it does

thenorthwind

As a slight aside on the subject of rear wheel clearance, I’ve occasionally used my Alpkit tapered dry bag on its own as a seatpack on my full-sus with dropper. It got a bit abraded from getting too close to the tyre once or twice, so I attached an Ass Saver with a couple of cable ties through the webbing ladder to protect it and make the tyre/bag interface a bit less “grabby.”

There are probably people who will tell you that running a seatpack with the remotest chance of catching is horrifically dangerous and they may well be right. Make your own decision and I’ll make mine.

iainc

It’s Ortlieb. It’ll withstand the zombie apocalypse and filled with sand would make an ideal weapon.

🙂

I may put one on my Santa list !

benp1

Doesn’t the seatpacker work out to be quite heavy though?

scotroutes

And there’s still a bit to clamp to your seatpost

And the bag still rubs on the seatpost.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking and droppers….’ is closed to new replies.