Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bikepackers – Wayfayrers
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Anyone use Wayfayrers meals?

Thought i might give it a go to save washing pots in streams. Any good?

Will a 1 litre pot do the trick?

Any other recomendations

SimonR

Yep – we’ve tried one of the curries and a casserole – taste pretty good and saves on washing up!

From memory they need about 400ml of water per packet – I would add in a small amout extra for good luck and stir really well.

Also (top tip time) a long handled spoon would have been useful – the packets are quite deep.

scotroutes

Any of the dehydrated meals work OK but I’d not want to live on them exclusively. Also, the supplied calories aren’t great so you’ll want more than one or you’ll need to top up with other food.

Get some of that silver-foil bubble-wrap stuff that you use to insulate and make a little cosy out of it. Put the Wayfarers bag in there while it is re-hydrating to keep it warm.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Yep, I just put them in a billy can and cover with water. I quite like the taste of them, reminds me of school meals (it probably helps if you’re hungry)…

BadlyWiredDog

Relatively heavy and quite expensive. If you want that sort of thing, check out your local supermarket for stuff like http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk and similar. Or use dried food if weight and bulk is a priority.

DavidB
    Free Member

Can I just say that I tried the Wayfayrers hot pot and breakfast on the WRT and they were rank. Like eating warm puke. Bloody expensive as well. So I found a shop, bought supernoodles for 1/4 of the price and had a much better dinner

BadlyWiredDog

Any of the dehydrated meals work OK but I’d not want to live on them exclusively. Also, the supplied calories aren’t great so you’ll want more than one or you’ll need to top up with other food.

Wayfayers stuff isn’t dehydrated. It’s pre-cooked ‘wet’ food in a foil pouch that you either heat by sitting the pouch in boiling water or pouring into a pan and heating through conventionally. It’s heavier than dehydrated stuff and not particularly big on calories either. But it is convenient and can taste okay.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Cheers,

The plan is for one night rides.

No mess meal on the evening, so the pot is fine for next day to cook another meal.

I’ll be trying one at home before going out onto the hills.

scotroutes

As BWD says, it’s still carrying “wet” food around so you’re not really getting much of an advantage. You could also buy some “Pour and Store” bags from your local supermarket and make up your own if weight isn’t a concern.

rene59
    Free Member

Wayfayrers stuff are expensive and heavy. For proper dehydrated lightweight meals try something from http://www.outdoorsgrub.co.uk. They sell most of the main brands, just add hot water.

If not fussed about using dehydrated food to save weight then may as well just take tins of food.

Cheezpleez

Pour and store bags are great. Make up individual portions of porridge with dried milk and sugar for an easy hot breakfast with no washing up. Also works for noodles, smash, etc.

Sachets of black bean sauce etc are great for adding flavour and cals (to noodles, not porridge).

Smoked tofu is a good source of protein (as well as flavour and texture) and keeps OK for a day or two without chilling IME.

doh
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with the expense and general lack of taste etc;)
    Have a shuffle round any big supermarket and you can find lots of precooked rice and pasta and the pretty good lookwhatwefound range. Not as light as dehydrated etc but defo a good addition to noodles and couscous.

brakeswithface

+1 for “look what we found”. Really tasty, they have them in Sainsburys.

Sandwich

If you wear a camelback or backpack tuck the pouch under your shirt against the skin an hour before you stop cycling and it will be warm enough to eat when you stop without needing a stove.

somouk
    Free Member

Wayfarers are the same as military rations so if you don’t like the menus commercially available have a look at the military 24 hour ration pack supplies.

They do need flavouring some times with a bit of tobasco sauce or similar and the 24 hour packs comes with mini bottles of that.

Overall for the purpose they server they’re not a bad choice.

I find the dehydrated stuff to be far worse to eat on the trail and there is always the hassle of having to measure the water out and losing that water from your drinking supply to make the meal meaning you need to carry even more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bikepackers – Wayfayrers’ is closed to new replies.