Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bikepackers – mechanised tramps?
  • vmgscot

Not sure if this has been posted before but a wee (1970s) documentary that I came across recently about a gentleman from our local village…

Houns

Ha! Excellent find

gallowayboy

Brilliant. Great guy and good tv – Nice to see loch Doon and the Ayr road at glenmuck, haven’t been that way for years!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Seen that before and I love it. Proper attitude.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb, recognise a fair bit of that, Loch Doon, Queens way, A713 at the end, lovely wee vid VMG.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Mechanised Tramp. Awaiting the new Bearbones sticker drop…

richardthird

Excellent, thanks for posting

Northwind

Rubber tramps

matt_outandabout

That’s great. Thanks for sharing.

chevychase

Nice 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

👍

scud
    Free Member

A friend who i used to bivvy with got called into work by his boss as he was worried about him, he asked if things were alright at home as from his facebook pics he appeared to be sleeping rough! He had to explain that it was his hobby, and his wife hadn’t kicked him out

vdubber67
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Lovely stuff. Is the gent in the video still with us? How old these days?

tomaso
    Free Member

Excellent story and I enjoyed his philosophical view on life.

metalheart
    Free Member

This is obviously fake, how could anyone ENJOY cycling the WHOLE day in SCOTLAND…. pfft.

Thanks, I enjoyed that 🤪

cobrakai

My Uncle Eeny posted that on his Facebook page a couple of years back. Apparently he knew him, but to be fair, he knows everyone in Auchinleck. Great watch.

Poopscoop

What a bloke.

I still panic if my phone goes flat on the SDW.

As someone mentioned, is he still around?

The list of counties he’s been to is hugely impressive now, back then it must have been almost unimaginable. Great stuff.

StirlingCrispin

Also worth checking out the RSF on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/rsfarchive/?hl=en

George Berwick (who features regularly in the RSF feed) was spotted out on his bike earlier this week. Eighty now and has missed three days in 30 years.

https://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2020/05/17/george-berwick-may20/#:~:text=You%20did%20448.70%20miles%20in,your%20memories%20of%20that%20day%3F

For the Ayrshire lads, it is worth tracking down the Davie Bell books, collecting his articles from the ’60s telling of cycling exploits from Ayr:

http://www.thedrumup.co.uk/cycling-history/scottish-cyclist-davie-bell/

Poopscoop

^^ 3 days missed in 30 years?

That’s obsessive and I really don’t mean that in a bad way. Incredible.

matt_outandabout

but to be fair, he knows everyone in Auchinleck

It’s East Ayrshire.
    Know = related, no?

StirlingCrispin

George’s pen-name is McNasty – and his definition of riding a bike might differ from ours:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAVvByWlmvL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

McNasty ~ Chain Walk | Fife Coastal Path
    “Chatting with George recently he told me he’s done this about 5 or 6 times. Once with the tandem with his wife for her 50th birthday present, but they had to abandon that attempt. There’s quite a few photos in this set of the various stages.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For the Ayrshire lads, it is worth tracking down the Davie Bell books, collecting his articles from the ’60s telling of cycling exploits from Ayr:

I rode the Davie Bell Audax a couple of times, used to be the same weekend as the elite race over a similar route, but also took in the ‘strada giglia’, sadly both events now long gone.

It’s East Ayrshire.
    Know = related, no?

Check this yin, moves to the fringes of Dunblane and thinks he’s a lord! Spam valley in action!

cobrakai

It’s East Ayrshire.
    Know = related, no?

Thats why I moved to Hampshire. The gene pool is getting stagnant in the shire.

For info, my gran (Wilson) was from Auchinleck and had 10 brothers and sisters. Thats a lot of aunties,uncle’s, cousins etc.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I kent a boy from Fife called Davie Bell, but he’s in the jail for running someone over with his Land Rover.

Why would you take your bike round the chain walk?????

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bikepackers – mechanised tramps?’ is closed to new replies.