Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bikepackers – how do you stop bikes from being stolen?
  • winston
    Free Member

Probably a silly question but thinking of doing some bike camping in the south east (SDW etc) where there is a fair chance I may be stumbled upon whilst asleep – its not the great divide after all – I was in the process of getting my kit down to a light manageable level when suddenly it occurred to me that I might need a heavy lock….do people bother? Or do they assume that they will wake up if people are approaching. Once cycle touring in France I had my seat/post nicked whilst asleep which was a massive pain but a whole bike would be more than annoying!

jamiep
    Free Member

Turn bike over. Small cable lock. Sleep away from the path. I don’t but you might want a motorcycle-style alarmed disc lock

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Seen plenty of photos of upside down bikes being used to support tarps – I guess having a wet tarp dropped on you while you sleep might wake you up. Not sure how successful you’d be chasing the thief while you’re still zipped into your sleeping bag though

soobalias
    Free Member

fluffy handcuffs.

winston
    Free Member

I guess you could always get one of these

gazc
    Free Member

i took a cable lock on my first bikepacking trip – never again! camping out of eyesight, or just in the middle of nowhere (my strategy) helps. also clipping it to railings outside shops with helmet straps helps as a deterrent

jameso

I take a small cable lock for gas station / pub / etc stops but never used it for security when sleeping. Tend to use the bike to support a tarp, or rest against the tyre as a pillow etc. Also place things like lid and cooking kit on the wheels so it’s off the ground, easy to pack fast early am w/o losing things, that’d make a racket if someone tried to move the bike.

bookwyse
    Free Member

Heres how we do ours:

GregMay
    Free Member

Never bothered, just sleep in quiet places out of the way. For shops..well don’t go into ones in bad areas I suppose.

winston
    Free Member

Hooped bivy so no tarp – and yes I’ll be going the stealth route as much as possible but may well end up on the odd campsite

I think a cheapo alarmed disclock might do the trick

doh
    Free Member

I use a carabiner through one of the rotors just to stop someone buggering of with it if I’m in a shop etc. comes with risk of bike damage though:)

DrP

Go with friends with better bikes…
    That’s my solution!

DrP

gsm7
    Free Member

Never had any problems with just putting it next to me. Bivvied in a really obvious spot on SDW and other places (arrived at night and had no idea where I was, woke up late and found dog walkers everywhere… Far from ideal. Still no issues)… I reckon just make sure you’re out of site as much as possible and keep it close by… Although in an unknown area, might be worthwhile

Basil

Just to be contrary,
    I carry an Abus Granit X+. I lock it every time I get off. Then I’am insured for theft.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Even in the south east its not a problem. You can camp within east shot of the M25 and not be stumbled upon. Even if you are stumbled upon the chance that a dodgy bike theif will be in the middle of some woods / field in the middle of the night are mini mini tiny small.

project
    Free Member

Get a few of these attach some fishermens wire to lanyard and feed accross grass and attach to bike, when bike is moved pin pulls out and loud screeming starts, interlink 2 bikes to a seperate one as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Personal-Attack-Alarm-Keyring/dp/B001UE9TU2

Dont do as some muppet did tie fishing line to your bike and then tie the other end to your toe, thief snatched bike and almost pulled off the fools toe, fishing line has a high strength.

motorman
    Free Member

Find somewhere less shit to go bikepacking, or use a shit bike nobody will steal.

mau00149
    Free Member

Rape alarm with some fishing line attached to the pin and attached to the bike. Just make sure the alarm is pegged down so the pin will pull when the bike is moved.

jameso

Bikepacking, touring etc, is about leaving daily crap behind and getting away from it with the bare minimums. Large locks and bike alarms are packing your fears with you.. you don’t need them.

scotroutes

Give the man a chance – he’s in the South East.

flipiddy
    Free Member

its not the great divide after all

Bikes have been nicked a couple of times during the Divide race IIRC. Although I suspect they were from more densely populated areas 😉

EDIT – Yep! But don’t get paranoid

jameso

doing some bike camping in the south east (SDW etc)

Find somewhere less shit to go bikepacking,

I don’t think he was suggesting to bivi at the back of Eastbourne train station : )

Junkyard
    Free Member

take rear wheel off and sleep with QR skewer in that private place no one will look

GregMay
    Free Member

take rear wheel off and sleep with QR skewer in that private place no one will look

A 15mm bolt through may derive more pleasure though.

Blackhound

I rarely lock bike up overnight if camping wild but take one for the cafe stop. Usually just a light one such as a Poundland one. I do a quick assessment of where I may have to leave the bike and make a decision. So far so good!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bikepackers – how do you stop bikes from being stolen?’ is closed to new replies.