• This topic has 45 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Bikemag Review of Niner Ros 9 are the USA folk missing…..
  • vondally
    Free Member

something about this type of bike/s?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpMX_F1STtQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

watch the first 3 mins or so 😕

eddie11
    Free Member

I don’t get any of it. I was expecting a bike review to include, well, you know, bikes. This is just folks on a sofa.

honourablegeorge

The one on the left mentioned the wide bars about twenty times. Presumably she doesn’t realise that there are folks who are larger than her would would appreciate the width, and that she could always cut them down to suit.

brant
    Free Member

That’s remarkable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting approach.

Seen plenty reviews that are way more shite.

Clink

I’m super stoked. Man.

vondally
    Free Member

its not that it is a bad review it’s well they are missing well mtn biking has moved on

this bike is people who race wearing a cape

the bars are too wide

stem too short

27.5 lbs well that is okayish weight

big tryres 2.35

sounds to me like a great UK bike!

Oh sorry that is (in different wheel guise) lots of folk have been riding

ps I was beaten in an xc race in the 90s by a fellow in a gorillia suit…….so cape wearing riders queue up

messiah
    Free Member

If you persevere it makes sense; because they say long travel hardtails are fun but make no sense when a similar weight full suss would be a better bike. Which is true… but hard tails are for the hardcore and none of them would appear to have macho tattoos so they were never the target audience :mrgreen:

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Seeing reviews like that helps understand the stories of specialized tweaking the design of the final incarnation of the pitch after seeing how British riders were modifying and riding them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the ammericans never ‘got’ hardcore hardtails, why would they with nice dry trails like that? Hence why an industry dominated by big ammerican brands has room for niche UK hardtail makers, because no one else wanted them!

matt_outandabout

I don’t have enough tats, piercings or duuuuuude gnar to finish that review.
    Did it carry on in the same monotone, brown, ‘we are not sure what it is, but it is a bike’ manner?

Northwind

I like the format. It’s like Late Review and they’re all Tom Paulin. Racing in capes is a brilliant way to describe it. And it makes me want to ride it, because for all they don’t get it, they’re pretty descriptive about what it does that they don’t get, rather than dismissing it. Good review imo.

honourablegeorge

To be fsir. there’s one important thing about Niner that sets them apart from the On-One/Dialled/Cotic end of the market – their frames cost a grand a pop.

akira

They appeared to be more keen to figure out who would ride the bike rather than taking about the bike itself.

Northwind

That’s a pretty big deal, though. These days most bikes are good so it’s about getting the right bike for you, not whether it scores 10 on radz but only 6 on pedalz, or whatever.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I wonder how much the girl in the middle noticed the headtube slackening once the bio-centric bb was rotated.

From Niner

Additionally, BB positioning allows finetuning of geometry. Want shorter chainstays? A lower BB? Steeper or slacker seat angle? It’s all achievable with the BioCentric II.

Can’t wait to try this..

messiah
    Free Member

I want one of those frames… but as a second bike a grand for the frame is way more than I would pay.

tom200

Clearly these dudes have never got rad Ina muddy woods then! “For single speeders who’s knees are
    Giving out” LOL sounds like my kinda bike 😆

tinribz
    Free Member

Apparently it’s ‘nitch’ bike.

Interesting body language from the one in the middle, something going on there.

euanc
    Free Member

‘Rotate the BB to the shorter setting and slacken the head angle’

Their knowledge of physics is impressive.

mrmo
    Free Member

Maybe what has passed some by is that the US bike market is actually different to the UK market which is different to the Euro market.

Think how the US went 29er and Europe didn’t follow, think about the idea that some people race mtbs and some don’t. The whole market has fragmented, for some long travel hard tails make no sense, yet for others they do.

That’s a pretty big deal, though. These days most bikes are good so it’s about getting the right bike for you, not whether it scores 10 on radz but only 6 on pedalz, or whatever.

+alot.

roverpig

I’ve seen a few of their reviews. I don’t think that was one of their best, but I still like that style. Lots of discussion and more than one opinion. Much more useful than a lot of magazine reviews or manufacturer’s promotional videos in my opinion.

vondally
    Free Member

Roverpig yes agree some of the other videos are really thought provoking and interesting but this one missed the nitche by a mile

nice style good at explaining what they do not get/like/follow BUT the understanding of the purpose of the bike is ridiculous…..a dropper on hardtail?????

Please……

Kahurangi

I was going to say something along the lines of “they didn’t get it the bike- that’s cool” but they clearly did understand the bike enough to know it wasn’t for them.

They understood it was a bike for riding and having fun on but their delivery made it clear that hooning around the woods after work or pissing around with your mates before you hit get to the pub wasn’t something that they do.

It’s not a ‘shuttle day bike’, it’s not a ‘XC race bike’, it’s a bike.

nice style good at explaining what they do not get/like/follow BUT the understanding of the purpose of the bike is ridiculous…..a dropper on hardtail?????

It crosses niches, which they don’t seem to understand 😀

I think if they turned up to the average UK night ride, which featured
    – rain
    – mud
    – starting in the light, finishing in the dark
    – one guy on a steel singlespeed
    – another on a 5
    – someone else on a carbon trail/AM bike
    all riding together and ending at the pub

their heads would explode 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

martinxyz – Member
    I wonder how much the girl in the middle noticed the headtube slackening once the bio-centric bb was rotated.

From Niner

Additionally, BB positioning allows finetuning of geometry. Want shorter chainstays? A lower BB? Steeper or slacker seat angle? It’s all achievable with the BioCentric II.
    Can’t wait to try this

Jeez, what a pile of crock.

martinxyz
    Free Member

What, me wanting to try it? lol

Northwind

Niner’s release isn’t wrong- because the eccentric moves the BB and therefore the cranks fore and aft, it changess the effective seat tube angle.

Not the head angle, as they say in the review, mind.

JCL
    Free Member

Hardcore hardtails were great 10 years ago.

Northwind

… and then they got better.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Uk trails have changed massively on the last 10 years. What was good then is obviously no good now.

vondally
    Free Member

Uk trails have changed massively on the last 10 years

global warming been that devastating????

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Quite obviously.

JoeG
    Free Member

This ridiculously wide bar that they keep talking about is 780 mm per Niner’s specs.

I run 760 mm bars on both of my main bikes. And I live in the eastern US with narrow windy trails! I like the wider bars a lot, even though I know of several spots on my local trails where my bars are wider than the gap between the trees!

Of course riders prefer different types of bikes depending on where they live which affects what the trails and weather are like.

BearBack
    Free Member

I don’t get any of it. I was expecting a bike review to include, well, you know, bikes. This is just folks on a sofa.

This is part of the bible of bike tests, Bike have been doing this for 4 years now and they basically invite all manufacturers to send in new product for the coming model year and ride and review. All journos/ test staff ride every bike, rate it at the point of riding then sit down and discuss their thoughts in the evening. These vids, while the concept of that particular bike may have been lost, are simply a way to generate media around their process rather than the dinner table/ beer chatter.
    Having been involved in the first bible back in 2009 where we had almost 100 new bikes shipped to our place in whistler for testing, there is merit to the process and the end result – mostly.
    Plus Seb Kemp’s involved and whilst he’s not to everyones taste, I’ve a huge amount of respect for the guy as hes very open and honest about his thoughts/reviews and no-one can argue with just how much of his time and life is dedicated to bikes, his industry knowledge and his search for unique journalism ;).

GEDA
    Free Member

I watched their review of the Bronson and I could not quite understand it. They said it was brilliant to start with then went on to say that the components were great, it was really expensive and there was something not quite right with the suspension. The only good things they seemed to like about the bike was that it had a threaded BB and was stiff. Was it good at messing about on? Jumping, climbing, making the trail come alive?

JCL
    Free Member

What they were saying is Bronson’s suck but so many suckers bought them that they don’t want to alienate viewers/readers.

Same with this Niner POS.

Oh and how would a hardtail get better? As front suspension gets better it just highlights the fact they you have jack shit rear grip. Total fun haters.

akira

I haven’t ridden a bike with any suspension for about six months, apparently I haven’t been having any fun! Better sell the 29er and the Fatty then.

chiefgrooveguru

Oh and how would a hardtail get better? As front suspension gets better it just highlights the fact they you have jack shit rear grip. Total fun haters.

You really are a clueless fool.

dragon
    Free Member

Best review I’ve seen in ages. They don’t get it because in the US that bike has little use, they don’t ride in the mud for starters, plus they are still more XC orientated than elsewhere. One of the hottest bikes in the US a few years ago was the Gary Fisher Super Fly carbon fiber hardtail XC race bike, which tells you a lot about their market and trails.

Speeder

Can’t resist – sorry.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKySTprwlxo[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Bikemag Review of Niner Ros 9 are the USA folk missing…..’ is closed to new replies.