• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by will.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • bikeing and beer belly’s?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just noticed in the mirror this morning, that after comuting to work for the last 3 weeks ive developed a beer belly (having gained/lost no weight)

Cant think of any use for those muscles whilst cycling, so have they gone lazy and let themselves go? Or did i just eat some gasy food at the weekend?

gingerflash

Eating more food to fuel the commute?

GW
    Free Member

stand up, bunny hop and manual everything for the entire commute?

snotrag

Rahter than gain a gut, perhaps you’ve lost some weight off the sides?

joe1983
    Free Member

I feel your pain. No matter how many miles I put in, I’m gwetting fitter, but I’m sure the belly is growing!

dave_aber
    Free Member

So you’ve got a beer belly. It’s for putting beer in. Put some in!

Biffer
    Free Member

You need to concentrate on keeping your stomach muscles pulled in while exercising. They will then tighten up, if you exercise with everything hanging out you gain beer belly space….

Look up pilates, core stability etc for more info.

BoardinBob

just noticed in the mirror this morning, that after comuting to work for the last 3 weeks ive developed a beer belly (having gained/lost no weight)

I’ve been cycling 6 days a week for the last 5 months, drastically cut down my alcohol intake, kept a food diary, cut out junk food, made sure I’ve got my 5 portions of fruit/ veg a day.

After all that, I haven’t lost a single pound in weight 🙁

crankrider
    Free Member

Beer belly could be a change in posture as said above – tighten up those core muscles?

Often you gain muscle and loose fat and your weight doesnt change, so dont worry about the scales use the mirror.

Look carefully at your diet – Are you getting too much carbodydrate in your diet? – not enough fats / protein?

MrNutt
    Free Member

have you considered a Rapha corset?

darrell
    Free Member

that would be the really expensive one in tweed

ozzybmx
    Free Member

I’ve been cycling 6 days a week for the last 5 months, drastically cut down my alcohol intake, kept a food diary, cut out junk food, made sure I’ve got my 5 portions of fruit/ veg a day.

After all that, I haven’t lost a single pound in weight

Same here too , but my legs are definately bigger, so i must have lost some beef round the middle

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bob – Join the club, over the last year I’ve lost an initial amount of weight due to more exercise (about 8lbs), but now my weight is pretty constant at 13st 2lbs, however I’ve lost nearly 3″ off my waist (now a 32 1/2″) and look slimmer all round – even my endura Humvees are baggy roudn the waist 😀

Legs are alot bigger both thighs and Calfs.

BoardinBob

Oh aye, my legs have changed dramatically. My quads and calves are huge and I appreciate fat weighs more than muscle but there most come a tipping point where the weight starts dropping as the fat loss exceeds the muscle gain and I dont feel I’ve lost any noticeable body fat!

My diet contains a good mix of carbs (pasta, rice, cereal etc), protein (lean meat and fish) and good fats (olive oil) and I keep myself well hydrated. On top of all that cycling I’m also walking the dog for an hour a day.

Very frustrated at the moment!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no idea how much fat is “good”, but i hardly eat any

porridge with skimed milk for brekie about 6g

lunch is a sandwich often cheese so some fat there or leftovers

dinner is generaly low fat (mince gets drained, meat’s trimmed, non stick pans and spray on oil)

I’m giving myself till then end of march to see if theres any weight loss, if not i’ll diet properly.

In the mean time, did crunches to failiure in three sets last night and beer belly has magicly dissapeared (ok, its still there, just not poking out of my shirt) , so guess the road bike does nothing for abs.

BoardinBob

Breakfast is Special K with skimmed milk

Usually have a Special K cereal bar around 11am.

Lunch is usually veg soup or a healthy sandwich (wholemeal bread, salad, low fat spread) & a piece of fruit.

Have a piece of fruit around 3pm.

Couple of coffees a day with skimmed milk and sweeteners. 500ml water bottle on my desk that gets refilled about 3 times during the day.

Dinner is always home cooked and healthy i.e. Chili with lean mince, pasta with a home made sauce, home made curry (no excess oil, ghee etc) etc and I always make sure I use olive oil, replace cream with creme fraiche, use low fat alternatives wherever I can etc. I’m also controlling my portions by weighing stuff like pasta and rice using the scales.

No snacking before I go to bed.

If I drink alcohol, I’ve changed from drinking 3 nights a week to 1 night only and even then it’s only a couple bottles of real ale instead of a bottle of wine or 6+ bottles of lager.

I really am at a total loss as to why I haven’t seen dramatic results yet. 🙁

MrAgreeable

Why do you think bib shorts are so popular? 😉

simondbarnes

How far is your commute?

miketually
    Free Member

I really am at a total loss as to why I haven’t seen dramatic results yet.

Results in what sense?

ski
    Free Member

After all that, I haven’t lost a single pound in weight [:(]

BoardinBob I was in the same boat as you, no matter what I did cycling wise, did not seem to drop weight, until I changed the exercise I did. I was lucky enough to get the use of a free personal trainer through work for a year.

He worked out a simply free weight plan for me which worked out at two 20min sessions a week, using core exercises, high intensity using momentary muscular fatigue training principles, plus obviously strict food recommendations.

I lost a stone within six months, two after a year!

Have a copy of the plan (pdf) if you want a copy, or anyone else for that matter, give me a shout (my email is in my profile).

🙂

BoardinBob

It’s only 6.5 miles which isn’t a lot but I’m doing that in half an hour at a pretty high intensity.

I currently weigh about 200lbs

From my food diary I know I’m consistently taking in less than 2000 calories a day

I’m walking for an hour a day at a brisk pace which according to various online calculators should burn around 400 calories for my weight and exertion level.

Similarly, an hour of cycling 5 days a week should burn around 900 calories for my weight and exertion level. Then you have a longer, lower intensity ride at the weekend too.

I really should consult my doctor!

simondbarnes

It’s only 6.5 miles which isn’t a lot

You’re right, it isn’t. Weight fell off me when I started commuting 30 miles each way 🙂

BoardinBob

Sadly 30 miles isn’t an option but at the end of the day I’m consistently consuming less calories than I’m using but seeing no noticeable results.

BoardinBob

Results in what sense?

[/quoute]

Results as in a positive change in my bodyshape.

Yes my legs are noticeably improve but they weren’t fat to start with.

I don’t have a particularly noticeable beer belly but I do have “love handles” 😆 which are still the same size as they were 5 months ago i.e. my waist size hasn’t changed.

AndyA
    Free Member

Maybe try doing some weight training a couple of times a week. Alot of fitness coaches reckon you should include weights/resistance training into your fitness routine. Worked for me.

bomberman
    Free Member

not only are you fat, but you can’t spell either. BIKING – ING, remove the E 😉

will
    Free Member

I’m going to feel really bad now having Bacon, eggs, sausages and beans for lunch now. 🙄

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘bikeing and beer belly’s?’ is closed to new replies.