Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 345 total)
  • Bikehut 1600 Light
  • blitz

Picked one of these up today for £31.50 with BC discount. Was going to be for the wife but really impressed with it on first impressions. I’ve been using an Evolva which I’ve been really happy with but on the full power setting, this looks a bit brighter with a wider flood. Only slight concern is battery life. The Evolva lasts forever but this suggests only 1 hour on full. Will have to do a bit more of a comparison.

cooie

You shouldn’t need it on full much though!

jb89
    Free Member

@ewan I’m planning to do the same re: Wahoo. Apparently if you cut 1mm or so off the gaps on a Garmin mount and rotate 90 degrees it works, but this would mean drilling new holes and using a nut and bolt.

Ewan
    Free Member

Jb89 – my epoxy didn’t work (probably the plastic types). I reverted to something slightly more getto. Drilled a hole in the middle of a whaoo mount, counter sunk, and stuck a small screw in it. I was then worried it might not be stable enough with rotation, so I countersunk one of the wahoo mount bolt holes and stuck a small screw through that as well.

Used it this morning, everything seemed pretty solid. Its a bodge, but it’s a bodge that should last a loooong while.

twonks

Managed to get the last one at my local Halfords. Great looking beasty specs wise.

Can anybody help with the charging LED status please?

Mine is sitting with one LED flashing when I try and charge it (from a 2A charger).

Actually, as I type the LED has gone solid and the next one up is flashing, so I guess it is a charge capacity thing?

twonks

As it’s too late to edit my above post, in case anybody is wondering – what I concluded at the end of the above appears to be right. It is now on two solid LEDs and the third (of four) blinking as it nears another full bar.

joebristol

So I picked up my Bikehut 1600 light today. First thoughts are it didn’t come with the remote mentioned on previous posts – but that doesn’t bother me at all.

Its a chunky beast and pretty heavy – will be interesting to see how stable it is on the bars off road. I pooped it on the road bike on my way home today – ran it on one from the least powerful on the road then full power on the unlit towpath I have to go along. Plenty of light – ultimate brightness vs my 600 lumen moon vortex pro didn’t blow me away but it’s much more of a flood and slightly warmer in colour.

When I got home I tried to take 4 pictures of my 600 lumen vortex vs 900 lumen vortex pro vs 1600 lumen Ryder Alumia vs Bikehut 1600. Didn’t work well as I didn’t have a long enough dark area and it was raining.

Initial thoughts are the Alumia (also cycle republic stocked) has a more stable handlebar mount, feels lighter and marginally brighter / more light output.

The bikehut 1600 has a better low battery warning system and feels very solidly built (heavy)!

Need to do some off road comparisons over the next few weeks of the 1600 lumen lights, but thinking if I put both on the bars I can run full power on one of them until it runs out then run the other on full power so I’ve always got maximum light on the trails.

joebristol

Pictures:

Lights to compare for size

Dark:

600 lumen:

900 lumen:

Alumia 1600:

Bikehut 1600:

bentudder

The shroud on the micro USB port on mine came off with the charging cable on Sunday. Conveniently, the Halfords in Dorking closed the other week. Bums. Dropped into the branch near work on Wednesday and swapped it out for a new one in about five minutes flat, thanks to some helpful staff who took one look at it and went straight over to the display to fetch a replacement for me.

The remote is an extra, by the way – £5. Mikey’s 3d printed switch housing (now at V3) is well worth a go – I find it much easier to use with my miniature thumbs.

Weightwise, mine’s less than the BT40s + battery enclosure it replaced, and a decent mount means it’s not shifted once while bouncing off bumpy things so far.

Pics of Mikey’s enclosures when I work out how to use Pinkbike to host images from Dropbox…

Merak

Is there a link to the 3d remote, can you buy one?

bentudder

Hey Merak, Mike’s adventure starts upthread a bit here:

Bikehut 1600 Light

andyl
    Free Member

damn they are cheap now but Halfords are claiming they should be £60…pretty sure they were not on offer at £50 when I bought one.

I picked up a 2nd brand new from ebay with a voucher a few weeks ago which ended up costing me £35 posted, I was going to fit the second to my helment and tbh it should be fine for that but for £28 I think the smaller one would be more sensible.

For the money it is cost effective and weight effective (as well as good redundancy) to buy 2 of these rather than a more expensive unit with a large separate battery and swap them over mid ride. I’ve been using them as general torches and I am getting more like 1.5hrs on full power.

andyl
    Free Member

noticed an odd one today. Put my light on charge in the car and it killed the DAB reception. Unplugged it and the DAB came back on.

Not had any problems using the same USB charger (Aukey) on my phones for the last 2 years so wondering if it’s something to do with the internal battery conditioners.

stox
    Free Member

Just had an email from Halfords and these lights  are on offer at £35

cookeaa

So I’ve finally reserved the 1000 Lm version and a remote for pickup, will fetch Thurs or Friday this week probably.

I can’t help thinking 1600 is probably just over gunning things a bit and 1000 might just be the “sweet spot” i.e. sufficient output for on/off-road use (I was pretty happy with “900” lumen P7s a few years ago and seldom run lights on full), better runtime for having one less LED than the 1600?, a smidgen cheaper than the 1600, but barely any more pricey than the 500.

I’ve a plethora of go-pro mounts for both bar and lid including a stem mounter OF garmin mount with a go-pro mount on the underside already on the road bike, so I can play with the mounting options on several of my other bikes…

The main draw for me is the remote option TBH that is a big selling point IMO, that and it being a self contained unit.

still not sure about lid mounting it though, my old solar storm X2 will doubtless be less weight on the lid for similar output, just with a annoying cable tot he back pocket, and I have found even a little bit of extra mass on the lid over a long enough period will do your neck in…

geex
    Free Member

My old SS X2s are a fair bit less bright on full than the 1000lm setting on the bikehut 1600
    Runtime on the bikehut 1600 at 1000lm seems to be about the same as the bikehut 1000lm light
    Plus someone on here weighed the 1000 at about 250g. pretty much the same weight as as the 1600.
    I’d just buy the 1600 it’s £31 now with BC discount.
    it hasn’t done anyone who’s worn mine on their helmets neck in

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hey chaps, which mount  do I need to fit to a Bell super GoPro mount?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

It should bolt straight on to the Bell Go Pro Mount, the light comes with a Go Pro connection already.

andyl
    Free Member

Are those weight measurements correct? A similar sized Lezyne 2 light is about 150g. The 1600 is not too heavy for a helmet but something a bit lower profile would be good.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Be interested to know what the run time is? the 1000 looks like it could be good for evening rides on the road.

I’ve got the 1000. It’s superb. I use it off road but on decent paths without roots/rocks/big cambers. (Someone shouted at me last night because it was too bright.)

My standard evening ride is 1hr30 and after that  it’s still showing 2 hours left. (Used on ‘full beam’ for half the ride, lower settings for the rest)

cookeaa

I dunno, 250g might not sound like much but I’ve done longer stretches in the past with basic (1×18650 type) torches strapped to my noggin before, which are probably a similar sort of weight to that, you might be fine for maybe 1 to 1-1/2 hours of off-road use with your head wobbling about, but beyond that it definately has an effect on my neck after a sustained period of riding, YMMV of course.
    I’ll still give the BH 1000 a try mounted on my lid of course…

As for the X2 being out-lumened by the BH jobbies at 1600/1000 LM, well that’s fine and as expected,
    TBH. I have barely ever used the old x2, or the single far eastern XML-T6 Bastids on full. the glare back from stuff is normally way too harsh, outright brightness isn’t an arms race I’m looking to win.

It’s just that I can see 1600 Lumens as being a redundant output setting (for my own use) and to get it you end up carrying round an extra LED that (IMO) isn’t really needed, my only other thought, from looking at the pictures online, is have they maybe packed an extra cell into the housing for the 1600? it’s difficult to gauge.

geex
    Free Member

read back to what I said a while ago about the weight of the light helmet mounted

DezB
    Free Member

My brother tells me he has just ordered this http://amzn.eu/d/cCH6uCL  will report back 😆

joebristol

Trying the bikehut light for the first time in anger tonight in the dark and (probably) rain. Will report back after the right. Also got the Ryder Alumia 1600 with me so I can try them back to back in similar trails. I think the BH one has a slightly colder light so will be interesting to see which is best and also which matches my Moon helmet light best for light colour.

Andy

I have bought one of these so I have a decent light permanently fitted to my Road/Gravel bike. I also got the remote so can switch between higher power beam on narrow, twisty potholed roads and dim the light quickly when a car approaches.

It looks fantastic for the price, the only thing that worries me is the Micro-USB port. Given how fragile micro-USBs are, and it looks like an easy route for water to get into the light,  I am going to get a Male-female USB 15cm lead and silicone/sigru  it in place so the port is waterproof.

cooie

That’s a great idea👍🏻

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I’ve been using this for my commute for the last couple of months.

I echo what Andy says about the micro usb port, its a bit fiddly and i really think micro usb’s are too fragile to be constantly plugged and unplugged.

I used the remote and some sugru to make a cover for the usb port when using the remote as i expect water to get into it easily when its pointing up using the go pro mount. Seems to work so far, time will tell though.

Using it is great. The first 5 miles of my commute are pitch black country roads and on 1600 lumens the road is lit up really well, no angry drivers because i can dip it using the remote and they see you doing that so hopefully that prevents rage! The remote is what makes it a perfect commuting light, i just wish i didnt have to cycle through the flashing modes to get back to high beam.

A mixture of max power, low power and constant/flashing mode (in town) does the 2 hour commute without any battery level warnings or powering down.

I used a metal go pro mount I had lying around to mount it as the out front garmin mount supplied with it was a bit wobbly and the roads around here are terrible so it vibrated quite a lot. Metal mount is solid though.

I got mine for £55 (inc remote) and i think that was a good price so at £35 it seems to be a steal.

EDIT: Andy, careful with the usb extender lead. I tried it and for some reason the remote wouldnt operate with it in place, even though the lead was advertised as having all pins connected. Was only 2 quid on ebay so no tragedy.

Andy

neverownenoughbikes 

Cheers will check it before I Sigru / electrical tape in place. The way I see it is its always the Female socket on Micro USBs that fail so  that if the USB extender lead works, then when it fails its easier to just replace that. Thats in addition to the socket being an obvious water trap, and preventing water ingress.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

no probs andy, its a shame they didnt think of the water tight aspect when they designed the remote. I’d have happily paid a tenner for something with a waterproof plug on it.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Quick update on the 3D printed switch.

Thanks to those who’ve given me some beer tokens for one, you’ve almost paid for the light! (at its black Friday price…)

Ongoing improvements with my testing team (Bentudder) has led to V3, which integrates the o-ring loops onto the main body to reduce the stack height by around 20% and makes the whole thing a lot sturdier on the bars.

zippykona

Have you considered making a Joystick mount with your printer?

joebristol

So a quick few observations:

The light output at full power is pretty good – with a very white colour to it.

The ting of light you can see round the lens from the top is very distracting. Probably great for visibility on the road, but not so good for off road use. I may get some black electrical tape and blank the top clear section off to solve this.

Using it on a handlebar just with the rubber strap fitting isn’t really off road proof. In comparison, my Ryder is rock solid on the bars and has a much better mounting system. It is also a flatter light so sits closer to the bars which probably helps stability.

I need to try the bikehut light with that stabiliser thing that was in the box when it arrived. If not find some other more solid way of mounting it (but not on the outfront Garmin light where it’s upside down perfect for collecting water in the usb slots.

What alternative mounts have people bought?

Just if anyone is interested in the Ryder Alumia 1600 light I ran it in full power tonight for an hour’s ride and the power button was blinking red at the end. The light hadn’t dimmed, but I don’t know how much longer it would have lasted.

andyg1966

but not on the outfront Garmin light where it’s upside down perfect for collecting water in the usb slots

Fit the garmin mount upside down so the light is the right way up

joemmo
    Free Member

The ting of light you can see round the lens from the top is very distracting. Probably great for visibility on the road, but not so good for off road use. I may get some black electrical tape and blank the top clear section off to solve this.

yes, that’s really annoying on road as well, I did this and taped over it.

an adapter to hang it under an official garmin mount which are much more rigid – unfortunately they’re also not long enough unless you mount it upside down

joebristol

That’s a cunning plan. I should have thought of that given I don’t have a Garmin so it doesn’t matter that it would be pointing at the ground.

geex
    Free Member

plenty cheap alu chinese K-edge copy 31.8 bar gopro mounts on ebay for £3.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>If you’re not using a Garmin surely you could just mount it the correct way round?</p><p></p><p>Oh, page 2 I think someone said they got cheap outfront stem mounts from Aliexpress, that’s going to be my fallback if I’m not happy with it as is.</p>

cookeaa

I’ve already got one of these on my gravel bike so I can mount it above the bar with a drybag strapped on:

And one like this already on the road bike:

Something like this could be used with a gopro clip mount for swapping between multiple bikes/helmets nice and quickly perhaps?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Less than a week old and mine has packed up 😔 Went out early doors for a 100mile road ride. Used the 800 (?) mode whilst it was dark then changed to flashing as it came lighter. Got to the caff and noticed it’d gone off. I just put it down to it running out of battery so put it on to recharge today so I could go out later. Came to it after a couple of hours and the final charging bar was still flashing but because I was only going out for an hour or so thought it’d be enough. Turned it on and within a couple of seconds it went off, tried it again and the same thing happened. Taking it back to Halfords on Saturday to get it exchanged for a replacement. Shame it conked out, up until then I was very impressed with it.

joebristol

I’d seen those anodised mounts on eBay just before I went to bed for a few quid each. Had a quick look to see if there was anything a little more expensive with rubber bits to go against the bars / with a quicker release system but got tired before I found anything. Will have another look tomorrow but if I don’t find anything better I’ll order one of those. Cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Bikehut 1600 Light’ is closed to new replies.