Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bikehike Broken?
  • Premier Icon fathomer

Anyone else having issues with Bikehike?

Page loads fine but the map has ‘For development purposes only’ written across each tile and there’s not option to switch to cycle or satellite views either.

Happening on two different computers and both Chrome and Edge.

Premier Icon Ogg

Yep, looks like it’s exceeded its google maps usage limit

“You have exceeded your request quota for this API.”

Normally has a switch for osm maps but can’t see it at the moment, guess it’ll will reset in a while.

Premier Icon zilog6128

The site hasn’t been updated in a long time. I believe Google changed the way their maps API works a few months ago so you can’t use it anonymously anymore. Either that or, as above, they’ve simply exceeded a temporary limit. Good news is there are loads of good alternatives available these days!

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

This was raised on BearBones. Google have changed their charging model for maps and forced this on sites that use their maps by updating their API and site keys. It looks like BikeHike among others are still using the older version of the API and associated keys.

To get rid of the “For dev purposes only” they’ll have to sign up to the new API, which involves giving Google details of a chargeable account so that if your site uses more than the free limit of map data they can charge you.

Premier Icon fathomer

Been covered loads I know, but whats the current go to having always used Bikehike.

Premier Icon daern
    Free Member

I’ve done a few times around this subject, but I now use plotaroute.

It does a few things that bikehike doesn’t do, namely:

– snaps to bridleways and footpaths
    – has decent editing tools (ever tried to re-route the middle of a plot in bikehike?)
    – allows saving of routes
    – More export options, point reduction etc.
    – Really good mobile website for doing plotting on the phone.

I miss the OS maps (I would pay for it in an instant to get them!) and the two-window approach, but I’ve been doing most of my plotting here recently, and will probably keep doing so.

Premier Icon thepurist

Where’s The Path is similar, allows side by side views of OS and satellite imagery etc.

https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Premier Icon njee20

Am I missing something, despite saying “for development purposes only” on the maps they work just fine, just a bit dark!

Premier Icon fathomer

@daern @thepurist thanks, I’ll check those out.

@njee20
    they do but I can’t see a way to go to the cycle maps which are handy for off road routes.

Premier Icon njee20

Ah fine, I’ve always just used OS on the right for off road, which were fine.

Premier Icon daern
    Free Member

Ah fine, I’ve always just used OS on the right for off road, which were fine.

There’s a couple of downsides to using the OS maps for route plotting:

– They are raster maps, so don’t have metadata for snapping to a route. This means you need to plot the whole route by hand, which is pretty painful for a long or complicated route
    – Strangely, they’re not actually that accurate. OS maps are designed to be human readable on a sheet of paper, which means that they will always sacrifice ultimate accuracy for readability. You tend to only see this when you overlay GPS data onto them and realise that, at best, they are only passably accurate.

When you’re out in the hills and want to know where you are though…nothing else even comes close!

Premier Icon pdw
    Free Member

they do but I can’t see a way to go to the cycle maps which are handy for off road routes.

Open up the Javascript console in your browser and type:

gMap.set(“mapTypeId”,”OSM”)

Premier Icon jonba
    Free Member

Either it is my work laptop or there has been a change. It now defaults to opening with the OSM maps so it is useable again.

If you click on the google logo on the map it opens up a new window so you can flick back and forward.

Still can’t flick back to google/satellite on the page which was handy to see if your path was a well defined one or just an imaginary line over a hill – but I think there is a fix in progress. Will donate some money later today to keep things running. Didn’t realise how much i rely on this site. Commuting and travelling a lot by bike I tend to use it for direction/route finding when going somewhere new even on a short journey.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bikehike Broken?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.