Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bike weight disappointment
  • nigelb001
    Free Member

Been making some rather nice upgrades to my Giant Anthem and keeping an eye on the weight using our old bathroom scales. I was really pleased to see that the weight was down to 23.5 lb which seemed plausible from weighing the new parts. Scales broke last week and bought a new one with greater accuracy, just weighed again to check and found it was 24.5 lb so a bit disappointed.

Unfortunately the same goes for me! I’m nearly a stone heavier than I thought I was all this time (I’m a big bloke). I’ve put on a stone this week!! Will I die?

Ah well, back on the salad for a while.

stevied
    Free Member

On the plus side, your bike is a bit heavier so more than capable of coping with your extra bit 😉

I did the same with mine when I’d built it. Bathroom scales 29lb, shop scales 31lb 🙁 Still rides nice tho

Reluctant
    Free Member

Digital bathrooms scales do funny things according to the surface they’re standing on. They’ll read higher if standing on a plush shagpile and lower if on a hard floor. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

IME most scales do under weigh – either that or my own scales over weigh 😕

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

don’t wear a camelbak that will save you a pound

Rorschach
    Free Member

I used to keep the ‘scales of justice/reality’ to hand in the workshop.Punters would come bouncing in boasting about their 26lb orange 5’s and how they lost 4lbs by going tubeless,fitting foam grips and a carbon handlebar.
    Apparently our scales were always wrong 🙄
    Someone actually brought in the list of components on the bike with weights for each one to ‘prove’ our digital scales were 2lbs out.

nigelb001
    Free Member

The funny thing is that even though the bike is 1 lb heavier and I am 11 lb heavier the bike rides just the same. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I used to keep the ‘scales of justice/reality’ to hand in the workshop.Punters would come bouncing in boasting about their 26lb orange 5’s and how they lost 4lbs by going tubeless,fitting foam grips and a carbon handlebar.

Mine have been referred to as the scales of truth! Surely though it’s just as likely that mine/yours over weigh as it is that everyone else’s underweigh? Perhaps we should take the median weight or something. Over thinking now admittedly.

marsdenman
    Free Member

recently moved house and, to my amazement, found our EverRight bathroom scales had me down as losing a full stone in just a week 🙂
    Imagine my surprise to find, by moving scales to a slightly less bouncy part of the bathroom floor, i’m still hoarding a very similar amount of lard 😉

Northwind

If you’re ever bothered about your bike’s weight, get my mate Malcolm to weigh it for you, it’ll be miraculously about 20% less on his scales than on anyone else’s 😉

chief9000
    Free Member

Take a dump before you go out. That should make up for it. I can lose a kg that way.

njee20
    Free Member

I can lose a kg that way.

On who’s scales?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Bike weights get a bit silly, and I’d not want to be hammering a 23lb anthem around my trails as I like to ride ‘fun’ stuff rather than XC motorways 😉

Something has got to give, to become flexy and less capable, by going super light. Wheels are the obvious place, I’ll always make sure I have some good tyres and strong wheels regardless.

My XC bike is about 28lbs and the enduro bike is 33. A happy 33!

I use salter samson electro digital scales, regarded as extremely accurate (I bought them for weighing fish, something that’s taken very seriously in the world of angling!).

chief9000
    Free Member

Njee20,

On my own! sometimes it has been more but a kg is pretty average.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Take a dump before you go out. That should make up for it. I can lose a kg that way.

I’d see a doctor if I was shitting a kilo at a time! 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Bike weights get a bit silly, and I’d not want to be hammering a 23lb anthem around my trails as I like to ride ‘fun’ stuff rather than XC motorways

A 23lb bike now is vastly better than a 23lb bike of yesteryear. A light bike with top end kit is nicer than one built on the cheap too, fewer compromises.

oldnick

I bought some digital scales a while back, and the “your scales are crap” excuses started, so I fished out the old kitchen scales weights, which agreed exactly with the digital ones.

“Your weights are wrong” wasn’t long in coming…

Anthem 22lbs, Pivot 26lbs, both get sent down the Beast, around trail centre jumpy bits etc. The secret is I have no money left 🙂

Strong and light but not cheap.

FOG

nealy, I bought some of those scales a few years ago and while seeming reasonably accurate they soon stopped working and no amount of fiddling with batteries would revive them

Jeffus
    Free Member

All my bikes seem to end up around 30lb + or – a pound or so , must weigh my new bike , scales of truth at the LBS, I’m guessing 26lb

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have never weighed any of my bikes but I know the current one is lighter than the old one as it cost a £1k more. It is obviously £1k lighter / better, end of.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I’m with Glasgowdan on this one, if you want your bike weighed accurately find yourself a serious fisherman like a carper or specimen hunter as they have the best scales money can buy ( within reason)
    Salter Electro Samsons being tge benchmark in digital accuracy and reliabilty or a nice set of Reuben Heatons will do the job in an old school way.
    I have fox Digitals( not THAT fox) permanently hooked up to the roof ( unless I’m fishing) just to see what stuff weighs

br
    Free Member

Went on a group night ride a while back and folk had been discussing weights, so I brought my Park digital scales. Their’s all weighed +30lbs; the guy with the BFe was happy, whereas the one with the Soul wasn’t 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

I am happy that my bathroom scales always seem to over exaggerate the weight of my bikes.That makes me more of macho riding god when I sail past the lycra clad XC carbon mincers on the climbs on my heavy hardcore steel beast complete with my kilo of poo still inside me,baggies, 3 litre Camelback ,pads and sodden 5 10s.
    Then I wake up…

Scapegoat

So those super-accurate luggage scales I bought in Poundland are going to let me down? 😥

On a more serious note I have a cheapish ebay set of hanging scales that agree pretty well with my “average of four calculations of me on the bathroom scales on a non-lumpy part of the garage floor holdingthe bike, minus just me on the bathroom scales on a non-lumpy part of the garage floor.”

Oh, and I’m low-carbing, so I can’t shit a kilo. A Malteser every three days is more of a target right now.

granny_ring

Had the same disappointment with my ST4, 29.5lbs.
    Sold the frame on.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’ve put on a stone this week!! Will I die?

It sounds like you’re on your way, yeah.

crazy-legs

I rebuilt my road bike last weekend after it’s usual winter strip & clean.

Was mortified when it went on the bike shop digital weight gauge and showed 17.04lb. I need to lose 0.05lb to get it under 17lb…
    Might have to replace the bottle cage with a carbon one… 😉

muddyground
    Free Member

I need to lose 0.05lb to get it under 17lb

Change the air in your tyres for something lighter?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Change the air in your tyres for something lighter?

How about Helium?

Kryton57

I discovered my bike to weight 22lbs by googling and adding all the component / frame weights.

*shrugs*

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

why do you care again?

tpbiker
    Free Member

My Anthem weighs about 26lb, nice sensible build with no carbon to break. My Enduro however weighs about 34lbs…a brute

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, that rarely works out!

Unless you are looking to put the bike on a diet, there’s little but disappointment and a new obsession to be gained from weighing it.

Having said that I was actually quite pleased with my Mmmbop at 25lbs and 5oz on my mates Park Tools scales, and that was with fat Minions and High Rollers. My mate who’s scales they were was less pleased with his 28lbs Stumpy though 🙂

lehutch
    Free Member

Funnily enough I asked my LBS to stick my Yeti ASR5 alloy on the scales at the weekend, just been built from what I believe to be reasonably light components (xt all round, Thomson stem and seat post, carbon bars etc) so was expecting it to come in around 12kg (26.5lbs)

Was surprised when it weighed in at 13kg (28.5lbs)….

Still rides great though 😀

Kryton57

Mrblobby, are you daring to suggest the marketeers may have rounded down…? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I weighed the heckler before I began lightening it. Keep an eye on it but it ranges from 32 to 38 depending on what I’m doing. Not that bothered really.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, definitely not, just that grease and lube must be a lot heavier than you think 🙂

onewheelgood

My Anthem is 22.5lbs. Nothing too drastic, quite a lot of KCNC stuff, but the Hope Pro3/Crests are a bit flexy.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

Weighted the Motolite the other week was more out of curiosity than anything else was quiet surprised when it came in at 26.6lbs had thought it may have been around 25lb but then it is a large. Still rides nicely and does everything I want it to do so can’t complain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bike weight disappointment’ is closed to new replies.