bike warrenty passed on to buyer?

Home Forum Bike Forum bike warrenty passed on to buyer?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • bike warrenty passed on to buyer?
  • Jamie

does the warrenty still stand with him not being the original owner?

Nope.

MoseyMTB

If he has the receipt how would the company know he is not the original owner?

Just a question.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

mosey…he may be honest.

esher shore

@MoseyMTB

you’d be surprised how clued-up the bike companies warranty departments actually are – people try it on all the time

I’ve had customers contact the brand in their own name, to then supply a proof of purchase in the original owners name.

or contact the company posing as the original owner, only then to supply their own details when they bring the “claim” into the store

MoseyMTB

Ah that’s fair enough.

I agree with being honest but why does the car industry work different for instance?

I have just bought a nearly new car and I get the remaining 5 year warranty.

Also Ton so now he has a frame that is broken,should you sort it for him?

With the bike in question it has failed within 6 months is that fair? Or is that just the risk you take?

Jamie

Also Ton so now he has a frame that is broken,should you sort it for him?

That is how it usually works. It does mean relying on the kindness of a previous owner.

I agree with being honest but why does the car industry work different for instance?

Very good question.

dazzlingboy

AFAIK only Nicolai have a transferable warranty to any owners within the 5 year period.

Any others out of interest?

MoseyMTB

Does it come down to companies standing by their product?

Is it their way of controlling the market?

Not everyone can afford to buy new, it strikes me as better to stand by your frame in the hope that the customer may eventually buy another new.

I don’t understand the non-transferable nature of bike warranties.

I’m happy for someone to explain though.

toys19

to support 2nd hand prices and hence support retail prices.

Jamie

to support 2nd hand prices and hence support retail prices.

Could they not offer a limited warranty to subsequent owners? Say, 50% of the value of a full warranty.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

If I was bought a jumper by a random aunt for Christmas complete with baubles and it came with the receipt and then a month later the baubles fell off I’d normally be able to go to the shop with my jumper, the receipt and no aunt, explain it was a present and have the warranty honoured. No reason the aunt (or ton) could not have given me a bike. Not claiming it’s honest to claim it was a gift ton gave him, but it’s a crap rule and just a stupid get out clause for the manufacturer so one I’m pretty comfortable with bending. The product should be expected to last a minimum period from initial purchase irrespective of who actually owns it at the time of failure.

I’d be more than happy to say I was a friend of this happy tourer and as he was away from home sorted out the purchase for him and sent it out to him hence purchaser and claimant being different.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

bought a bike in march, which I sold to a bloke in may. he is on a pretty long tour at present, and the rack mounts are coming away from the frame at the rear.
    obviously bike is still less than a year old, he has the original receipt.
    does the warrenty still stand with him not being the original owner?

toys19

Could they not offer a limited warranty to subsequent owners? Say, 50% of the value of a full warranty.

In many cases they do extend the warranty to subsequent owners – Honda for example. My accord has had two Honda warranty repairs since I bought it, I am the 5th owner.

edit Convert+1 ^^^

mrmo

I don’t understand the non-transferable nature of bike warranties.

I’m happy for someone to explain though.

There is no requirement, there is at this time no marketing advantage to be gained. Do you buy a secondhand fridge and expect a guarantee?

With the car point, is there actually a legal requirement, or is it simply someone started and everyone else had to?

bencooper

If I was bought a jumper by a random aunt for Christmas complete with baubles and it came with the receipt and then a month later the baubles fell off I’d normally be able to go to the shop with my jumper, the receipt and no aunt, explain it was a present and have the warranty honoured

You’re confusing a warranty with your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act. I’d be very surprised if any jumpers came with a manufacturer’s warranty πŸ˜‰

A warranty is a sales bonus – like getting a free helmet when you buy a bike, it’s a sales add-on. Some manufacturers think it’ll help sales if their warranty is transferable (like Nicolai) most don’t.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

mrmo – Member
    Do you buy a secondhand fridge and expect a guarantee?

If it’s within the manufacturer warranty period, damn right I would. Same with a TV, cooker, vacuum cleaner or any other appliance that comes with a warranty. The manufacturer only requires a serial number and a date of purchase.

MoseyMTB

So can the ops buyer claim under their statutory rights and the sale of goods act? Does that cover product or owner?

If I buy a bike off someone who has had it a week does it not come under being fit for purpose?

If there is a 5 year warranty in a frame it should be the frame not the owner.

Apple do it on serial number too.

Jamie

In many cases they do extend the warranty to subsequent owners – Honda for example. My accord has had two Honda warranty repairs since I bought it, I am the 5th owner.

I meant in relation to bikes.

Do you buy a secondhand fridge and expect a guarantee?

If, within a certain time frame, then yes. Apple, for all their sins, do their warranty based on serial number and that’s it. I could be the 18th owner, but if the serial number on the product comes up on their system as in warranty, then they will act accordingly.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

I never used the bike with a load on the rear rack……the bloke is on a tour using panniers.
    the pannier mount on the rear is pulling out of the frame, to me that sounds like not fit for purpose.

if the shop do not sort the problem they will be named and shamed and sullied on every internet forum available. πŸ˜€

toys19

I meant in relation to bikes.

Well i think the car analogy works well.
    eg Islabikes, me and others have bought Islabikes and one thing we are aware of is the high resale value, this essentially supports the retail price as even though a kids bike cost 200 odd quid, you can sell it for 150 or more. whereas a 79.99 halfords BSO will be worth eff all at resale.

This can only be a good thing for islabikes.

Therefore I can see that if a bike manufacturer supported warranty for any subsequent owner that would support 2nd hand sales and hence support retail sales..

I love my little fantasy world.

taxi25

As its a mate I’d just take the bike back to the shop myself with the rceipt and make a warrenty claim. who’s to know you sold the bike to someone else ??? If you both agree the frame had a problem I don’t see it as being dishonest. Just the easiest quickest way to get it sorted, no need for all the fit for purpose stuff of naming and shaming.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

I forgot to add, the bloke is just over the portugese border on part of a long cycle tour.

esher shore

its a tricky situation for sure, this “warranty” for “original owner only”

the bike companies will argue that they build the cost of operating a warranty programme into the margins included in the recommended retail price when a bike is purchased from an official brand dealer

once the bike is sold and purchased second hand, this warranty is void

you could argue that the company has already had their costs covered by the original purchaser, and therefore any 2nd hand claim should also be honoured?

Some companies like Turner will offer on the frame itself, not just to the original owner.

its always something to bear in mind when buying a new bike, and especially when buying 2nd hand, unless its from a close friend who is happy to pose as the person claiming warranty when it goes wrong at some point…

If you’re in contact with the buyer why not get them to send you the frame and then you claim, as the original owener? Arse about face but it should work, if you can be bothered.

julianwilson

Ton, get the dude to email you some snaps of his tour, photoshop your face onto his body and claim it was you on tour using a rack. πŸ˜‰

legend

steel frame? If so he needs to find a welder, which I would’ve thought would be a fairly ordinary scenario for someone on a properly big tour?

gears_suck

It’s “Warranty” gad dumbit.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

legend, I told him to do that, and I would cover the cost.

legend

How many miles has he pumped into that bike in the last 4 months? I’d offer to google “Portuguese Welders” for him, but nothing else

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

The bike is still yours, and you’ve loaned it to the other guy, who gave you a cash birthday present πŸ˜‰

That’s all the shop needs to know πŸ˜‰

Some mfrs do give transferable warranties. Liteville is one, and they publish that fact prominently on the website too.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

from York to dover, then Calais to where he is now. fair distance

legend

I think that 1,500 miles is long enough to make it his problem πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

I thought this aswell, and like I said, I never used the rack for owt heavier than my snap box… πŸ˜†

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘bike warrenty passed on to buyer?’ is closed to new replies.