Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • bike warranty
  • ktmblag
    Free Member

Right guys and girls advise needed please..I purchased a cube 29 er December last year, I’ve just taken it back because I’ve been out and when i came home i noticed the bottom bracket was loose.I don’t have the tools yet to tighten a hollow tech one. On inspection it seems that while its been loose its stripped the threads in the frame. The bike is less than 4 months old with probably less than 400 mile..can they say its my fault for not checking the bracket was tight before i set off..I want to be prepared for when someonesomeone tries to pass the book for the repair bill. Any advice welcome

dannybgoode

They can (and probably will). However the UK sales of goods act states that if the fault is found within the first 6 months the onus of proof is on the retailer to prove that it wasn’t there all along. After 6 months the onus of proof lies with the consumer to prove they didn’t break it.

Didn’t half wind Currys up when I took my Kindle back with a cracked screen (still maintain I didn’t do anything) but after standing my ground and arguing they looked it up on the internet and rather grudgingly swapped it for a new one…

As yours is only a 4 months old you should be ok. Just read the sales of goods act and make sure you’re happy quoting it if an argument ensues…

Cheers

Danny B

ktmblag
    Free Member

Cheers Danny

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sancho
    Free Member

I would see this as not a warranty issue, so I wouldnt start beating up the shop about warranties etc.
    its not a manufacturing fault as such so you may want to engage the shop to get them to take it up with the manufacturer (I assume the bike came partly built from Cube to the shop)

you could argue that its an assembly fault and they could be liable, or they could throw it back and claim its your responsibility for maintenance and its not a product failure.

so i wouldnt wade in to the shop spouting legal terms until you have discussed it with them calmly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Arguably Cube are liable – you shouldn’t have to check a BB on a pre-built bike.

As above be gentle and reasonable but firm.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

All guns blazing quoting legal rights won’t get you very far.
    Being nice & talking to the shop calmly could well help, especially when it sounds like it’s border line warranty.

Sancho
    Free Member

id agree with al, as I wouldnt expect the shop to have to strip the cranks to re-assemble as part of a assembly process, id expect it to come from the factory assembled and QI’d.

But it would be for the shop to take up with cube.

unless they are happy to just swap it out.

let us know how you get on.

dannybgoode

I’m not for one minute suggesting to go in all guns blazing – apologies if it appeared that way.

Of course have a discussion with them but ultimately it is not borderline when it comes to the warranty.

The bike is under 6 months old and therefore the onus of proof as to whether the defect was there since manufacture lies with the retailer and not the consumer.

It is always useful to know the default position if it becomes necessary.

Cheers

Danny B

br
    Free Member
    steve_b77
    Free Member

No use, which shop?

ktmblag
    Free Member

I’ll keep you guys posted..I’ll mention the shop when i find out the outcome..it might just get swapped with a bit of luck

br
    Free Member

it might just get swapped with a bit of luck

What?

Is your opening gambit a new bike, and you’ll settle for just a frame?

ktmblag
    Free Member

Just want the bike back as it was.but this means a new frame and bottom bracket..Is this unreasonable

ktmblag
    Free Member

Just another thing on this. Its the drive side that’s come loose. This can’t be checked without stripping the crank and bottom bracket assembly..so how often would it be expected to be checked got tightness

br
    Free Member

so how often would it be expected to be checked got tightness

It depends really. Sometimes you can feel they’re loose (or not tight) before they trash the frame. Othertimes it happens on the ride and you just push on – I did just before Xmas, luckily as I’ve a Ti frame it just destroyed the BB.

The best thing to do is learn from each episode; buy the tools as and when and periodically clean/strip/grease.

Also depends on how much you ride and the conditions. And if you need an excuse to get out to your mancave, now you have one 🙂

br
    Free Member

Just want the bike back as it was.but this means a new frame and bottom bracket..Is this unreasonable

It depends on Cube really. And tbh BB’s are consumables, so don’t make a scene for this.

ktmblag
    Free Member

Totally agree but I’ve never had a bottom bracket come loose and this one as in the space of 4 months. I do get out a fair bit but share the riding on 3 bikes normally

project
    Free Member

MUST REMEMBER NEVER EVER BUY A CUBE BIKE. 😯

But then the bike may be repaired, replaced or refunded wth absolutely no problem,as part of a nice warranty, and then i will go out and buy one of their excellent value bikes, its down to cube to sort it and get some positive feedback from customers.

And we all know positive fedback meansd more sales, and a bigger bonus.

ktmblag
    Free Member

Ha ha yeah and i bought 2

andyl
    Free Member

Bike companies often seem to think they are immune to making/assembling things to have some sort of reasonable life and quite often falls back on the stance of “user did not maintain it properly”. You just have to look at forks and dropper posts for plenty of examples. If this was a car and part of the gearbox came loose after 4 months you would expect it fixed under warranty and not to be told “you should have checked it” so why not a bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Play nice, go and see the shop and go from there. Go in like a keyboard warrior and expect the absolute legal minimum.

I stripped threads on an older bike on the DS and it was not noticeable till I changed the cranks over and the BB shell fell out. BETD do a nice line in helicoils if your stuck though.

ktmblag
    Free Member

They’ve taken it as a warranty claim. New frame and bb on its way 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘bike warranty’ is closed to new replies.