Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bike Verbier – THE best biking trip I've ever had (with pictures)
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I just got back from Verbier and THE best week of riding in my entire life, including the single best day on the bike I’ve ever had.

I went with Bike Verbier run by Lucy and Phil, two of the best hosts and the best bike riders I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The pictures are all from the week but the standout day was the last one. We covered about 25 miles, 600m of ascent and 5000m of descent including the fastest, rockiest, steepest, rootiest, **** spitting, side slipping root ragging, roost wrapping awe inspiring descent I’ve ever done. Nigh on 2000m of down over eight miles of single and double track and more hairpins than a hairdresser’s mannequin.

I had the honour of following Steve Wade down one of the sections. This guys is 55 and still fast as all hell! He was riding an Orange 224 Evo with CCDB and Totems. Yes it had a double and bash, but the thing still weight around 37lbs and he pedalled it all day! I was impressed that the Nicolai Helius was more than up to the task of keeping his wheel down the 39 hairpins of the middle section (there’s a video of the entire section on YouTube posted by SingleSpeedStu, search for ‘Verbier Secret Descent)

Verbier is without a doubt the best place I’ve been on the bike. Not only were all the trails we rode absolutely blindingly brilliant, in the entire week I think I saw maybe a dozen other mountain bikers and very few walkers. This is an unspoilt gem of a location!

The top of the ‘Secret Descent’ from Verbier down into the Sion Valley. This is the top of a 500m hike a bike.

This is the Vallon D’Arby descent. About 4 miles of really rocky sinuous single track with a pretty steep drop on the right. Real class!

A bit blurred but a moderate step down on one of the woody trails. Maybe four feet by six feet.

This was the single most nuts section of the whole week. A sub one metre wide rocky shute, steep enough to need chains to help you get down, with a 90 degree left hander at the bottom that leads you into another 180 degree right hander not more than 2 metres later.

No one in Verbier has actually made the shute and the turn but a few people have made it down the shute and then overshot the turn. The ground beneath is less steep than the shute but it’s still the steepest, loosest and narrowest single track I’ve ever seen. It flows into a series of 180 switchbacks so tight the only way around is to track stand and hop.

Needless to say we all carried our bikes down it.

Top of another 400m hike a bike. This is the start of a trail called ‘Vortex’. Is this to die for or what?

At the top of a 500m pedal (we have another 500m later in the day)!

Fast flowy single track was the order of the day. About 20m after this and travelling at warp speed, you hit a blind rocky crest with a sharp drop of about 3m! No time to brake!

edd

Yeah some great riding. You were out with Adrian and Sarah weren’t you?

EDIT: Yeah, saw Phil ride the chute at the top of Silly Arret at the end of last season (ended up one switchback down but on his bike)…

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah some great riding. You were out with Adrian and Sarah weren’t you?

We were indeed. Also two of the best people you could hope to meet.

I really can’t overstate how much they, and everyone one else we shared the trip with, made the holiday the best week I’ve had on a bike. Yes the riding was amazing, but it was the people that really made this the standout trip it was.

Oh and Aidy – one of the fastest and smoothest riders I’ve ever met! I couldn’t live with his speed unless it was super rocky, at which point my mass started to help a bit!

The only thing more impressive than his speed on the bike was the fact that he made the bleeding thing himself! And not just any old tinket either but a brazed steel front mated to a carbon fibre swing arm with high pivot and idler wheel!

Did you hear their news BTW?

edd

Nope not heard their news, I only know them because I guided them last year. Concur that Adrian is an awesome rider…

How good is Gill’s food?

geetee1972
    Free Member

How good is Gill’s food?

Gill was on holiday so Lucy was cooking, but the food was as good as the riding and the guiding! If I’d been given that food in a four star hotel I would have been very happy!

I wasn’t sure how well you knew Adrian and Sarah, so it might not be my place to say but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind me telling you that they got engaged on the rest day of the first week!

So did/do you work for BV then? Sam was our guide last week. Another incredible rider, also fast as all hell and definitely another reason why the whole experience was so good.

edd

Yeah I guided for BV last year. Sam and I both guided last year. Agreed, he’s also very very rapid.

Drac

The place takes some beating, the trails are epic. Lucy and Phil have he whole thing sorted.

I will get back, I will.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ridden with Steve too. Uber-quick. Great bloke to boot as well.

Megatron

I’m working my way through some photos from last week, more up over the next few days.
    Slightly worried now, as people on the internets will now know what my back looks like.

Got any photos of Nuthouse? 😉

doris
    Free Member

Ahh how i miss verbier and Lucy and Phil, always a cracking holiday with amazing riding!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi Mike! Great to hear from you. I tried to find you login on the advanced search function but couldn’t see it. I even went as far as to Google ‘Megatron’ to see if I was assuming the wrong spelling!

Have to say that the three pictures you’ve got up there at the moment are awesome, especially the panoramic shot!

Megatron

Thanks Greg 🙂 There should be some more up there soon… Tried watching Concrete Circus last night, and stitching together some photos from that corner on Brazillian. Needless to say it didn’t work!

IMG_7705 by Mike Clark, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of Nuthouse. What a trail…

Seemed half the bikers in Verbier were on Oranges when we were out there!

scruff
    Free Member

Lucy was cooking ?

Ey up, pie and mushy pees. 😛

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Looks great!

jhw
    Free Member

love it! Out there from 3-10 September then over to Leysin

JPcapel
    Free Member

greg – please observe “fight club” rules and tell me nothing about this trip when we ride this evening!

infidel
    Free Member

WOW! Looks like you had an awesome trip, rather jealous…!! Looking forward to hearing about it…

Phototim
    Free Member

Looks great, thinking of heading down to Verbier in september for a night. Can you give any details of where these trails start and finish? I’m after epically long back country technical descents please!

trailmonkey

bv is teh awsums.

anyone got pics of toboggan ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Looks great, thinking of heading down to Verbier in september for a night. Can you give any details of where these trails start and finish? I’m after epically long back country technical descents please!

I can do two things. The first is to suggest that the easiest way to do this on your own is to ride the trails off the hill at the top of the lift in Verbier. There are a loads of trails down including some really technical red runs and easier blue runs. It’s still not as easy to find your way down as say in Morzine, but the trails off of the lift are way better.

The second suggestion is that you get in touch with Lucy and Phil and see if they can let you tag onto the group for a day. This would be by far the best option as almost all of the best stuff we rode would be impossible to access on your own, largely because we used a combination of lifts and a van to access. Plus, telling you where it all is would be beyond me.

One day’s guiding riding would be amazing and you would absolutely get your money’s worth.

Lucy’s mobile is +41 27 771 52 47

wl
    Free Member

Another vote for Bike Verbier. The trails they know are incredible, and too well hidden, remote or inaccessible for those without guides, so they’re always completely empty. Plus you get top hosts, mint food, great guides, smart weather and very comfortable accommodation. Folk I know who’ve stayed with other European operations always say BV are simply in another league. Personally, I can’t be arsed trying anywhere else. 10/10.

singlespeedstu

Just to add to the BV lovin here’s a bit more video from some of their trails.

As has been said they really are top class when it comes to guiding and looking after you.
    The only downsides for me are Phils jokes and wl ^^ keeps turning up and very briefly appearing at the start of some of my videos.Then quickly dissapearing 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK6f5qZ5qUY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGq9ojIrJa0[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2f12PhCuo[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Lb2aEeBSs[/video]

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks proper brilliant, great photos.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

missed our planned trip with them this year due to broken arm and torn tricep booo 🙁

have transferred the fees paid and will be out there next year yaaaay 😀

glad to hear it will be worth the wait!

wl
    Free Member

If only, Stu! Defo agree about Phil’s jokes though. Hope you’re well.

bedfo
    Free Member

Hi Greg and Mike bit of a verbier renuion here eh!

Edd, how was Whistler? Jay and Gen are on top form at the moment….

Just want to add that Sarah and I had the most awesome 2 weeks biking of our lives out in Verbier, the second week for me was the most memorable as we had a better group, more filthy banter! (although the triple entendre from the first week will stay with me forever!).

Amazing trails, great people, great food, it’s all there….

2 weeks, 320 miles on the bike, 50,000m descending, No rain, 2 flats, a couple of little crashes, 1 dirty burger on the way home! Perfect. And best of all the bike survived!!

A

Tracey

Been with them every year since 2003, each year has got better as the girls have grown. Had to miss this year due to a shoulder injury and Katies back operation.
    Have booked for next year and cant wait for it to come.
    Ive never known Phil to tell a bad joke

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi Greg and Mike bit of a verbier renuion here eh!

More like a love in!

God I miss the place. I’ve only been back three days and I hate the bleedin rat race again already!

Aidy fancy starting that bike company?

Megatron

Some more for the Bike Verbier love in 🙂
    A slightly less blurry stepdown

IMG_8262 by Mike Clark, on Flickr

Slightly different perspective on the whole scaryness thing.

IMG_8245 by Mike Clark, on Flickr

More fastererer than you thought was possible

IMG_7658 by Mike Clark, on Flickr

edd

Adrian – Whistler was awesome. The North Shore of Vancouver even better. 😉 Gen and Jay on top form! Congratulations on your engagement.

Edd

MartynS

Nice pics Greg..

I went in 2002 with a mate from work, I think we were Lucy and Phils first ever guests! (and I doubt they’d remember us!) I do remember some absolutly amazing riding. we only had 3 days but it was a fantastic time

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Of course we remember you Martyn, you worked for the BBC and had a carbon GT. 😀

Trekster

I was there in 2005 n the stw holiday…theeeeee best holiday ever 😆
    At the top of a durty great hike we were having a break when the conversation got round to ages…RHS nearly chocked when I whispered mine, he thought he had misheard due to the Scottish accent 😳
    Would love to go back in 3yrs time for a “special” birthday
    Steve Wade was laid up with a broken leg that year having been helicoptered off a mountain ❗

MartynS

Ahhhh Waves at cupid!! Looks like its all going really well!!

really should get my fat bottom back out there!!

TheGingerOne

Had a fantastic trip with them in September 2009 and would love to head back out again. Was only when I got back home that I noticed that I’d cracked my Yeti ASR frame. Taught me for having by far the lightest bike out there that week 😀

Phototim
    Free Member

I can do two things. The first is to suggest that the easiest way to do this on your own is to ride the trails off the hill at the top of the lift in Verbier. There are a loads of trails down including some really technical red runs and easier blue runs. It’s still not as easy to find your way down as say in Morzine, but the trails off of the lift are way better.

The second suggestion is that you get in touch with Lucy and Phil and see if they can let you tag onto the group for a day. This would be by far the best option as almost all of the best stuff we rode would be impossible to access on your own, largely because we used a combination of lifts and a van to access. Plus, telling you where it all is would be beyond me.

One day’s guiding riding would be amazing and you would absolutely get your money’s worth.

Hi Geetee, thanks for the info. I did actually email and Lucy got back to me but the price was too high for myself and my two friends this time around. I don’t know if we could pay to tag along for a days guiding.

Anyways, after a huge amount of map, google earth and video studying I have found the “secret trail” but its a bit further from Verbier than I was hoping.

Could you give any more info about the lift system in Verbier? Are they all open? Do you buy one ticket for all lifts? I was hoping to get the lift up into the back country and then explore the hiking trails.

Cheers,

Tim

chakaping
    Free Member

tim – my friends and I did four days in Verbier mostly unguided this year, drop me an email (address in profile) if you’d like a couple of pointers.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Phototim – Member

Anyways, after a huge amount of map, google earth and video studying I have found the “secret trail” but its a bit further from Verbier than I was hoping.
    Huge amount!?! You probably need a bit of practice! 😉

It took about 15 mins with Google earth and the Swiss LK maps to figure that one out. Looks like there are also another couple of epic options in the area though… Now I’ve just go to find the time to go and ride them. 😕

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi Tim – I’m not really the person to ask to be honest; I am sure that either Lucy or Phil can comment on here when they get a moment.

As far as I could tell there are two main lifts operating out of Verbier and you can access a lot of really good trails from those, but none that I would call ‘back country’, i.e. where you have a real wilderness feel to the ride. There is a third lift/gondala that goes up to the very top and then part way down the other side of the valley, towards the Sion valley. The riding down from there was brilliant but I don’t think there is any way back up other than to ride/push.

One of the lifts operates from the valley floor, which is below Verbier by a few hundred metres; the other operates just from Verbier. I think one pass covers both those and the one that goes over the top and down the other side.

What I would say is that if you spent two days or so with Lucy and Phil, I absolutely guarantee that you wouldn’t feel short changed, not even if two days accommodation, food (the food is amazing!) and guiding riding cost your a few hundred quid – they really are THAT good. It would be money very well spent!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bike Verbier – THE best biking trip I've ever had (with pictures)’ is closed to new replies.