Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike train – eco content
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Rockport Mass. bound MBTA Train, Saturday. by CaptainDisko, on Flickr

Very cool don’t you think? Would be great to have a few more of these trains in the UK.

Rockport Mass. bound MBTA Train, Saturday.

When the conductor approached me as I was walking my bike on the platform, I was braced. She told me the ‘Head Car” was for bikes, this is what I found. Multi-modal! it does exist! I think that is 18 racks and room for 12 on the yellow tipped car rack style on the right and left.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If only!

ruffrider

This really is the way forward! So much more pleasant than being crammed into the a tiny space by the loo. I agree ‘If only!’…..

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom Box Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom B...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Garry_Lager

Is that the transpennine express up to Edinburgh?

Seriously that looks blissful. UK train companies are reluctant to lay on extra carriages for human beings, so an extra bike wagon seems a distant prospect. Brompton are pretty happy, though.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i had a similar experience in Norway a year or two back.

having slept in the airport the night before, we were a little disorientated for our 6am train the next morning. what with a frankly ridiculous door/stair/platform system (and our bikes/luggage) at the a station, we managed to miss all 3 trains required to get us to our next long-distance train.

the train we managed to get was a pretty important seeming train – a commuter one in Oslo. we knew we were going to miss the connection, so asked the conductor if the next train was, by any chance, running late. it wasn’t.

the conductor came back, and said that the train driver was going to miss out a couple of stops, to get us there earlier… and they asked the line management to change the arrival platform so that we would arrive next to our connecting train, which had been informed of our late arrival, and was waiting for us…

that train had an entire carriage dedicated to carrying bikes.

flipping awesome service (and the conductor was VERY pretty).

njee20
    Free Member

Looks good! Shame that the trains come twice annually, then arrive 5 hours late! Gimme the UK rail network over the US any day!

avdave2

One person and one bike in the carriage and you call that eco! Be more eco if they’d driven and left the carriage in the sidings. 😈

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well eco in terms of if you build it they will come! You have to make something attractive for people to make a switch. I bet this would be more busy in the UK.

project
    Free Member

There is currently a bike powered train a velo rail be tested at Blaenau Festiniog, top Trawsfynydd on a now disused rail line to a now disused nuclear power station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-15712312

traindriver
    Free Member

It is nice having this kind of trains. It is customize for the bikers’ benefits. It would be very nice seeing it in UK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike train – eco content’ is closed to new replies.