Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bike touring, what did you carry and never use?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just heard back from a Danish guy that I rode down the Pacfic coast with.

Before his trip started he bought a folding picnic stool from REI in Seattle. He carried it all the way down through the Washington ad Oregon Cascades, then down the Calfornia coast to San Diego. He never used it once. He tried to give it away to homeless people and other bike tourists. No one would have it. Rather than dump it at the airport, he took it back to Denmark.

What have you taken touring and never used?

Spin
    Free Member

Condoms. Hey ho.

Stoner
    Free Member

first aid kit

in our super light pompino trip we used everything we took but that

fourbanger
    Free Member

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit lock seemed like a good idea when I set off. As did “going out clubbing” shoes, shirt and jeans. All made it to paris before being sent home. Conversely, I left my towel outside a bike shop in paris when I was replacing a rack bolt, and did the next 6 weeks camping without buying a new one 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Apart from 1st aid kit, tools and maybe a spare cable or two my biggest problem is faffing over too many choices of clothes. Will it be cold, hot, wet, dry. I seem to end up taking spares of everything!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

An inner tube… And no, I wasn’t running tubeless either!

charliedontsurf

Last trip in northern France I used every single thing.
    Chilli, saffron, five spice, herb.
    These are very light things that make touring better.

Only things not used we’re spare parts: cable, tube etc… But that is a good thing.

However Dave took 5 bags, with three sweatshirts etc etc on a five day trip. It was his first tour.

Pickers

My gas stove, minus the gas. Flew so couldn’t take the canister with me thinking I’ll get one in France. Never did, didn’t miss it either to be honest

rudebwoy
    Free Member

once spent two weeks in the alps, never used my cape, but that’s a good thing

plumber
    Free Member

about 2/3 of the stuff I took I didn’t use – therein lies an important lesson

Stoner
    Free Member

just found this old pic & list. And I lied, we didnt use the first aid kit OR the needle and thread.

[list]Camping

2 man Go Lite Den 2 Tent
    2x Thermarest 3/4 sleeping matts
    Custom double duvet
    JagBag double silk sleeping bag liner

Cooking & Food

Titan titanium pas (1.2l, 0.9l, lid)
    2x titanium sporks
    MSR pocket Rocket stove
    200g gas canister
    Full set of folding plates/bowls/mugs
    4x 750ml water bottles on bike
    lighter & matches

Bike gear & tools

2x On-One Pompinos
    Topeak mountain morph pump
    Kryptonite cable lock (10mm x 6′)
    Cateye 7 computer
    2x Carradice Super C saddlebags
    1x Altura Bar bag, 1x Karrimor Bar bag
    2x rear LED lights
    Spanner, bike tool, tyre levers, repair kit, spare cleats & bolts, Chain tool, spare links
    Spare brake cables, spare spokes, zip ties, pva tape, rag, silicon lube

Clothes (each)

Riding shoes, convertible for walking and bar flying
    Flip flops
    2x pairs socks
    2x pairs riding underwear
    Underwear for off bike
    2 ride tops
    1 off bike top
    1 pair convertible trousers
    1 pair of overshorts
    Montane Litespeed splashtop
    Swedish Down Smock
    Bike gloves
    Sunglasses
    Helmets

Toiletries

Shampoo
    Sunscrean
    Aftersun
    Bio soap
    Bar of soap
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrushes

Stuff

2x Penknives
    Sony SW radio
    Digital Camera
    Phone
    Phone 9v power converter
    note pad
    Pencils
    Silva 7 Compass
    Travel towels
    Spanish phrase book
    Candle
    Medipac
    Bag straps
    Map
    Needle & thread
    2x LED Headtorch[/list]

grim168
    Free Member

Took a headtorch to Norway in June on a motorbike tour. 😳

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Go somewhere hot, you don’t need anything much then. I even ditched my tent in Italy one summer and just slept under the stars.

Digger90
    Free Member

What did you carry and never use?

A sense of responsibility. 😀

Touring sets you free…

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Stoner,
    what model of saddle bags are those please ?

Stoner
    Free Member
    charliedontsurf

They ate caradice super c bags.

Bags

Great bags but impossible to do business with.

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s northerners for you 😉

ton

most of my touring is done over 1 week periods now.
    and i tend to pack very very minimalist.
    on this years week away i carried in a 20ltr rucksack

1 x waterproof
    1 x pair of shorts
    1 x t shirt
    1 x innertube
    1 x multitool

i washed socks and undies when needed. i wore the same shoes day and night.
    i probably stunk by the end of the week. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

merino is ur frend
    really does prevent niffage even after 3 or 4 days sweaty riding without a change.

ton

as a total opposite to my luggage, one of the other blokes was loaded with 2 rear carriers (which ejected themselves from his bike at regular intervals), 1 large saddlebag, and a rucksack loaded with a winterweight hi vis work coat.
    he struggled on the offroad sections……. 😆

andrewhowell
    Free Member

My first aid box and toolkit.

ojom
    Free Member

I thought it was just us! Feel better now.

rootes1

With a few tweaks to their designs and better supply they could be the best bags in the world…

instead they are resolutly ‘British’ with all the associated quirks

Still very good though.

Unused items – pair of pants.

jameso

A folding stool?! : ) travelling in comfort eh. We met some Dutch guys on ‘proper’ Euro-tourers earlier this summer in northern Spain, they had fold-out mini chairs, mulitple changes of off-bike clothes, a full-size caravan stove with 2 burner rings and a huge expresso maker pot etc between them. I suspect there was a spare unused Rohloff hub in the bags somewhere. We rode the off-road route quicker than they were going on-road, but was fun meeting up where it crossed over and speed isn’t the aim.
    I was riding with a guy doing his 1st week+ trip and he posted back a heavyweight wp jacket, books, a pair of shoes, a load of spare stuff that weighed about 4kg from the halfway point.

I learned similar lessons fumbling around easy routes in the Alps, taking spare penknives and prussics and 3 sets of gloves etc in a himalayan-sized rucsac for fear of being in a ‘void-touching’ experience on the glacier )
    So my bike touring now is pretty well stripped down, excess kit per trip is always the spare gear cable – aside from general servicing in the garage I’ve never, ever needed to replace a broken gear cable in 25yrs of riding but I always carry one?
    Or when in Europe – one of my 2 stoves. Until I started using pop-can meths stoves I’d take 2 gas burners as I’d never be sure which fitting the shops would have.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

thanks,will give them a try

MrAgreeable

On my first big tour a few years back (across Spain and Portugal) we ended up sending all our cooking stuff home. YMMV but for us it was just less hassle and more pleasant to eat out.

somafunk

once spent two weeks in the alps, never used my cape, but that’s a good thing

Why do i get an image of rudebwoy descending gnarly trails in the alps whilst wearing one of these?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s > 10 years since I toured in NZ, but I started off with front and rear sets of panniers + bar bag and got rid of the front ones pretty quickly. For me it was clothes, I just had far too many but it quickly got trimmed down to basically a riding set and a not-riding set, with stuff like a spare base layer and fleece. Also things like 2 cooking pots trimmed to 1 etc.
    There were lots of things I didn’t use but would still take again- 1st aid and spares/tools. Depends on how remote you’re going of course.

crewlie

We took just a little more than Stonor, including chairs 🙂 and used everything.
    In our defense it was our first time and we were on the road for 3 months so needed a bit of comfort.

June 25th. Where’s the Kitchen Sink? by crewlie, on Flickr

August 1st. Asleep by crewlie, on Flickr

ton

crewlie, that photo of the 2 loaded kona’s on your flickr, are you sure you have not loaded for a years tour. 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I never needed the imodium.

fourbanger
    Free Member

They’ve got some nice looking new bags out. Spotted them at the NEC with their whole range on display. I actually asked if they’d been taken over as I’ve always struggled to get hold of their stuff in the past! No, they hadn’t 😳
    “Is any of this for sale?” strike whilst the irons hot and I know it’s in stock!
    “Just for display”…..

crewlie

crewlie, that photo of the 2 loaded kona’s on your flickr, are you sure you have not loaded for a years tour.

Well we didn’t want to come home so it might have ended up that way.

My wife has trouble with reynaulds so we had loads of clothes for every possible condition, with backups just in case as well 🙂 )

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

This summer’s tour round the west and north of scotland, I didn’t use my waterproof jacket! 😮
    More of an anomaly than anything I suspect. But I did need and didn’t have an emergency spoke, which I will now purchase and never need ever again.

boblo
    Free Member

Managed to not use most of my tools this year but did use my spare folding tyre after wearing out/knackering my rear on a pothole at 40mph.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bike touring, what did you carry and never use?’ is closed to new replies.