• This topic has 39 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by joat.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Bike things that smell good in the workshop/garage…
  • cjr61

Ok, so I know it’s been done before but I genuinely think I’ve got a new contender for my top spot of….

Bike things that smell good….

#1 has always been GT85…I’m a traditionalist…..

However I’ve just discovered Bananaslip Tungsten all weather lube. No idea how good it will be as a chain lube, although initial spin is promising, but it smells like the most delicious banana milkshake….

Anyway, it puts a smile on my face.

Have a good evening.

Chris

rOcKeTdOg

Muc-off tyre sealant

Kryton57

There’s nothing like the smell of GT85 in the morning…

scaredypants

yeh, GT85 for me too

Quite like the citrusy degreaser – maybe finish line ?

I like putoline too, but then I like the smell of roofing tar an’ shit like that as well

bigginge

Swarfega, the original green stuff.

dc1988

Banana is the worst of all the milkshakes. I quite like muc off silicone shine spray

cjr61

Might have to go and nose browse the muc-off stand when the world is normal again!

ampthill

Today I enjoyed the smell of grease. It’s not a great smell but it made me feel like I was in a workshop

mattbee

Used to love Finish Line Pro-Detailer. Smelt a bit like cookie dough.

chakaping
    Free Member

Banana is the worst of all the milkshakes

+1

Had a bottle of muc off ceramic lube which smelt lovely and fruity.

snotrag

GT85 is the one and only smell associated with bikes.

There can be no other answer to this thread!

cjr61

snotrag

GT85 is the one and only smell associated with bikes.

There can be no other answer to this thread!

I love STW

Phil_H

There’s nothing like the smell of GT85 in the morning…

Smells like cycling😃

p7eaven
    Free Member

Mrs P likes GT85 so it saves on my eu de cologne bills.

Also like the smell of Brooks Proofide soaking in to leather on a hot day

Cracking open a cold can of Æegir Dag along with a handful of KP peanuts. Essential tools for full afternoon fettling, deep-clean and lube session. Finish Line Wax rounds out the chores and adds a reassuring whiff of completion

mcnultycop

However I’ve just discovered Bananaslip Tungsten all weather lube. No idea how good it will be as a chain lube, although initial spin is promising, but it smells like the most delicious banana milkshake….

I didn’t get ok with it on my road bike; it didn’t last very long at all.

Smells great though.

hardtailonly

Mmmm. Rubber. Fresh new tyres. The smell of grip!

Conversely, the smell of dog shit when you get back from a ride and have to give the bike a proper wash rather than just leave it/hose it down.

stevious

I’m sure I remember someone replying to a ‘what tyre’ thread recommending a tyre based on how good it smells. I think about it often.

Some of the Muc-Off lubes have a delicious ester in their solvent.

Stiggy

I like the smell of Park Tool Cutting Fluid. I think its the association of a new frame being prepped.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I love the smell of rust on an old steel frame. Removing a seat post after a long time and you get a lovely whiff of corroding steel.

martinhutch

Partial to a bit of Muc Off Silicon Shine..

cjr61

I’m proud this is turning in to classic TWATOS territory….rust, rubber and lube…🤣

NormalMan

Muc off grease

hot_fiat

Wild garlic. Always brings memories flooding back of my first MTB ride with my dad, sometime in 1984/5 along the banks of the river Wear.

Cutting suds – makes me think of shiny things.

Silkolene RG2 – closely associated with servicing all my mates suspension forks in the 90s.

Toast. Post ride snacks when I was a student.

Twopack paint. Smells so much like the dynatec factory.

GT85 wins it though. Every single ride. Every holiday. Every post ride fettle session. Either on my own, or huddled on the floor of Lister’s parents garage with all my friends while we tweaked some part with the crap dumbbel spanners and the Allen keys out of his parent’s volvo’s tool kit.

tjagain

Putoline
    *runs away*

wheelsonfire1

GT85 is an irritant to my lungs, however, the smell when you extract a tight fitting square taper crank is superb and also worth a second sniff!

garage-dweller

Putoline
    *runs away*

Er no it really doesn’t (which I think was your point). Good at coating chains, bad at smelling nice.

However, the smell of the last can of carb cleaner I had from the local motor factors for stripping off the really nasty chain clag and servicing the lawn mower was something special. After the second squirt i had to move the bike and stand outside.

Also just about any polyester based resin/boat filler/acetone. Epoxy is a bit more hit and miss. I remember coating a daggerboard in Epoxy years ago and being very disappointed that it smelled more like cat piddle than pear drops.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Helicopter tape has this weird yet enticing plastic scent that I find strangely addictive

reeksy

Muc Off wet lube … smells great.

Finish line green stuff (IIRC) reminds me of Old Spice.

ads678

Reminds me I need some GT85!

That fishy smell when you let air out of an inner tube. Not a nice smell, just familiar, like an old friend…

Sandwich

This smelled rather good in the workshop when we used it at work.

cjr61

ads678

That fishy smell when you let air out of an inner tube. Not a nice smell, just familiar, like an old friend…

that fishy smelling familiar old friend…

theotherjonv

What’s the smell when you loosen off a seized bolt, especially a clear bolt. It isn’t pleasant, a metallic burning sort of smell, but it also smells of satisfaction that you did it without rounding the head out.

SirHC

Not plusgas, smells like diesel. Got to love the OEM’s dry assembling everything, makes removing axles and bearings a miserable job.

Andy-R

that fishy smelling familiar old friend…

What’s that saying? “There’s only two things that smell like fish and one’s fish…”

I like the smell of new tyres – in fact, it would be my idea of heaven to have an infinite range of new tyres to try out whenever I felt like a change.

nuke

Juice Lubes – Fork Juice is current favourite

Dislike the smell of GT85 now…liked it at first but over time ive come to dislike just like wd40

feed

I quite like muc off silicone shine spray

+1

Someone got me some Muc-off body spray for Christmas !!!

Now I get to smell like my bike 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Today I enjoyed the smell of grease. It’s not a great smell but it made me feel like I was in a workshop

^^^^^
    This … barrier creams, swarfega and even cutting coolant.. all bring back pleasant memories.

joebristol

I like Gt85 as a garage smell but I think muc off chain degreaser (comes with the chain doc) smells pretty good too

owenh

For smells from non bike products used in bike tasks: Johnsons talc (dusting inner tubes) and the cheapest stickiest hairspray the supermarket had at the time. Probably should throw that away as I haven’t used stick on handlebar grips for many a year and my haircut is grade 3.

joat

IPA, the very poisonous stuff.
    IPA, the not so poisonous stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Bike things that smell good in the workshop/garage…’ is closed to new replies.