Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Bike stuff you just don't *get*
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

i love riding my bike, if other people look like they’re having fun on their bikes then the worlds a happier place. who cares what they look like or what they’re riding? surely what matters is what you ride and that you enjoy doing so?

your eyes should be picking the line you’re going to ride not who to hate next 🙄

tazzymtb

[/quote]your eyes should be picking the line you’re going to ride not who to hate next

god dam hippies get everywhere….go and hug a tree man 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Lefty forks:

I can’t accept that in my own poor understanding of engineering the extra material needed to make them as rigid as a normal fork doesn’t negate the weight saved by removing a leg

Ah hah.. right.

The point about lefties (and headshocks) is that the telescopic bit is actually two square section tubes running on roller bearings, so it’s really really smooth. However it’s heavy to build this into a fork, so to cut the weight they made two forks where you only had to build it once – the lefty and the headshock.

So it’s saving the weight that their design would have had, bringing it down to the level of a normal fork.

He asked you for instances of bike stuff you just don’t get. Then gave his example as a unicycle.

I noticed this but didn’t comment, because no-one really gives a F.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hillsplease

Cannondale headtubes. What is the point of 1.56 inch? Is it just to make sure that the ‘system integration’ sticker’s sole function is to make the manufacturers giggle? Integrated with precisely naff all if you try and find a sealed headset on their zero stack bikes has been my experience. Feel better now.

sc-xc

Why would you molgrips. You’re too busy being an internet hero.

Let’s be safe out there.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re too busy being an internet hero

Wherever there is misconception, I’ll be there 😛

sc-xc

Word to you holmes.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t say who was doing the misconceiving..

sc-xc

It’s inconceivable…

loco_pollo
    Free Member

[tazzymtb] well considering the question was “bike stuff you just don’t get” I think I answered it very well from a personal perspective you complete and utter knobend.

Grown men who take internet forums seriously

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually, I tell you another thing I just don’t get.

People who bang on about how ugly or otherwise a bike looks. WGAF? You’re going to ride it not take it out on a date FFS.

It’s a bike. Two wheels, bars, saddle, you know – bike. There are some lovely stylish design statements and then there’s bikes, the kind that we ride, get tired on, get covered in mud and hose off in the driveway.

I honestly can’t see anything in an Orange 5 other than an engineering solution. Or any other common bike.

joeh2o
    Free Member

So wait, I rode my new (to me) Summer Season (with flats, a long cage, 3×9 ultra-niche gear set, black anodised bars, stem and seat post), round a trail centre for the first time and had the time of my life, throwing it bravely into jumps and corners (and failing spectacularly, but learning all the time), and you’re telling me I forgot to pack my jaded cynicism?

Damn!

I’ll take it next time!

tazzymtb

Grown men who take internet forums seriously

never have and never will, so there.

and grown men are not “bike stuff” unless you are riding in a very different way to me 😯

ononeorange

+1 philconsequence (I’m not just agreeing with you because I’ve actually met you!). It’s all good.

Personally I wouldn’t touch a carbon frame because I’m not exactly light and dainty but that doesn’t make it bad / something someone else shouldn’t have, it’s just my choice, rational or not.

As someone else said, we should encourage all varieties and forms of bike. In my opinion.

amedias
    Free Member

Cannondale headtubes. What is the point of 1.56 inch?

Actually… the Cannondale headtube size came long before the 1.5 standard so it’s not like they intentionally shunned an existing technology. And it’s the *inner* diameter of the bearing that makes it that, you can easily fit 1.5 headsets to their tubes and vice versa (insertion depths permitting etc.)

but I agreee .56 is a bit bonkers, I can only assume its the metric version of some imperial yank measure…

amedias
    Free Member

EDIT – or even imperial version of a metric measure…

but then 1.56inch in mm is 39.6mm so actually you’re right, totally bonkers

amedias
    Free Member

more digging (not sure why, but it was bugging me..)

it is actually 1.5625 or 1 9/16 inch so it’s defo using a standard imperial size rather than making stuff up for the fun of it 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

all mud guards look shit

peterfile
    Free Member

all mud guards look shit

absolutely irrefutable

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t understand people who won’t use mudguards ‘cos they look shite. What does it matter? The mudguard keeps the crud off you

molgrips
    Free Member

I (usually) don’t use rear ones because they flap around annoyingly and get clogged up from time to time. Not cos of how they look.

Wozza
    Free Member

Chris King headsets.

£125 for some bearings? Should it ever actually break I can replace my FSA Orbit four times over for that.

and Road Bikes, WTF is that about? I can’t see a single bit of it that could possibly be described as fun.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“and Road Bikes, WTF is that about? I can’t see a single bit of it that could possibly be described as fun.”

Heathen! Everyone loves them on here!

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t understand people who won’t use mudguards ‘cos they look shite.

Don’t think anyone was saying that they wouldn’t use them because they looked shite, just that they look shite. Which they do.

I use them sometimes, but they still look shite.

The attractiveness of mudguards is not subjective.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Bike stuff you just don't *get*’ is closed to new replies.