Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike Storage (again)
  • anokdale
    Free Member

Just had my bike storage area dry lined (ceiling and walls as the room was the wine cellar originally) and now need to figure the safest way to store six bikes, (4m x 3 m) thinking of hanging them from the ceiling but will that hold up ?? Pictures and stories of your storage solution greatly accepted. Security in the room not an issue as i have a steel door to the room anyway but the actual fixing to the plasterboard is an issue.

soobalias
    Free Member

buy some decent plasterboard fixings if you cant easily go into the joists/batons

ive gone with simple hooks (£3 halfords) that take the front wheel, lesser used bikes will be stored less accessibly.

druidh
    Free Member

I just use cheap hooks too. Bikes are stored vertically against one wall. Stack them like sardines and you can fit more in easily.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I use an old boot mounted rack and screwed it to the wall and can hang 2 bikes off it 🙂

rootes1

I use an old boot mounted rack and screwed it to the wall and can hang 2 bikes off it

same as scotrail do on their trains!

stumpy01

Could you use hooks like druidh suggests and top n' tail them so you can squidge them closer together?

juan
    Free Member

Stack them like sardines

You mean like plastic chicken right 😉

DrP

If you stagger/alter the height, you can get them into about 2/3 of the space you would if they were the same height i.e. every other bikes handlebars are about 4 inches apart – enough to allow the bike frame to 'slot through'!

DrP

anokdale
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some good pointers there.

coastkid
    Free Member

buy heavy duty hooks from screwfix,way cheaper than the hooks from bike shops online and being bigger and wider they also dont bend,
    every 600mm you should have a roof joist,find the first one with a 2-3mm pilot drill,as mentioned hang one up one down and job done…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike Storage (again)’ is closed to new replies.